5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adaptive Headlights…can you tell?

wsutard1

Reaction score
Those with adaptive led headlights, can you tell they are moving to shine light around the turn?

I believe that is what they are supposed to do. BUT, on my Limited I have never seen them move or curve with the turn. Yes, I have it turned on in the menu.

I even sat at a turn and turned the wheel without moving. Nothing. Slowing moving, nothing.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you need to be over a certain speed for them to work, although I can't remember what that is.

That said I had a 2020 Longhorn and never noticed them move either and yes I made sure they were enabled as well, then I bought a 2020 3500 Limited and it was very evident when they moved. Now I'm in a 2022 Limited and it's one of the first things I checked, I can notice them move on corners but just slightly.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In my 2020 HD Limited, yes they move and are very noticeable. Even stationary, but I think you have to be in gear.

Does your inside fog light come on with turn signal (below 20MPH) or wheel turn?

Anyone been playing around with AlfaOBD?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the lights in these Limiteds are so good they don't have to move all that much, but they do move. In my wifes Outback, it's way more noticeable when you take a turn, so much so that it can actually be a little distracting because it's kind of fun to watch them moving back and forth.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
They do move...has to be above around 15MPH or so. It's so smooth and quick how they move its very difficult to see it. As others have said the Limited/Longhorn/TRX LED's are so good as they are that makes it more difficult as well.

n8zcc

Reaction score
You can look into the headlamp and do a remote start and see the two projectors go through a realignment.

Why RAM does not include documentation on these headlamps is a mystery but they do in the HD owners' manual and here is what it says;
"DIRECTIONAL LED HEADLAMP SYSTEM — IF EQUIPPED This is a system consisting of LED (low/high beam) headlights that incorporate dynamic cornering with 5-degree inboard/15-degree outboard swivel. The headlights continuously and automatically adapt to the driving conditions around bends or when cornering based on steering wheel angle.
The system directs the headlights to light up the road in the best way, taking into account the speed of the vehicle and the bend or corner angle, as well as the speed of the vehicle while the steering wheel is being turned. The adaptive lights are automatically activated when the vehicle is traveling above approximately 5 mph (8 km/h). This system can be turned on/off through the Uconnect Settings under “Steering Directed Lights” Ú page 232."

The fog lamp will act like a cornering lamp if the headlamps are on, the fog lights are off, and the steering wheel is tuned, vehicle speed is not a requirement. This feature is described in the owners' manual.

nitmik

Reaction score
I've notice mine move when I'm going around corners. My BMW X5 is much more noticeable than my RAM.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Some notice, some don’t. I just want to make sure mine are functioning correctly.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Those with adaptive led headlights, can you tell they are moving to shine light around the turn?

I believe that is what they are supposed to do. BUT, on my Limited I have never seen them move or curve with the turn. Yes, I have it turned on in the menu.

I even sat at a turn and turned the wheel without moving. Nothing. Slowing moving, nothing.

You can see them move when you press the start button to run, you can also see them move around turns. I see it fairly easily but if you weren't watching the road while you turned you may not notice the lights turn as you turn the wheel

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can see them move when you press the start button to run, you can also see them move around turns. I see it fairly easily but if you weren't watching the road while you turned you may not notice the lights turn as you turn the wheel

Yep, easy to try to see that at starup when it's dark, I took this video at night of mine at startup:

Edit: Forgot to mention though that I do notice them a lot out on the road at night doing their thing and really enjoy the feature. Definitely nice to have in certain situations.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's fairly subtle and can be easily missed if you're not looking for it.

ChrisID

Reaction score
I don't notice them moving much in low beam ,but I certainly do in high beam.

Users who are viewing this thread