5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adaptive Cruise Control Thoughts

Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on the 1500's adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist are.

My 2018 Lexus has it and it's great for highway road trips, but absolute trash in stop and go traffic. It's incredibly jerky. Makes my wife and I sick every time we use it at low speeds.

I do like the Lexus lane keep assist with the slight nudge and vibration of the steering wheel, so no complaints there. I drove a Nissan once with lane keep assist and it felt almost like it was self driving.

So, what's everyone's thoughts on Ram's smart driving features? Are they getting any sort of update for 2022?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on the 1500's adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist are.

My 2018 Lexus has it and it's great for highway road trips, but absolute trash in stop and go traffic. It's incredibly jerky. Makes my wife and I sick every time we use it at low speeds.

I do like the Lexus lane keep assist with the slight nudge and vibration of the steering wheel, so no complaints there. I drove a Nissan once with lane keep assist and it felt almost like it was self driving.

So, what's everyone's thoughts on Ram's smart driving features? Are they getting any sort of update for 2022?
I use mine constantly in stop and go traffic and it is fantastic. If it stops for more than 2 seconds, you will need to press the gas a little to get it going, but then it works perfect again. Slow and go traffic is the best. I never have to worry about keeping up with traffic.

squid013

Reaction score
I can do with or without it, either way. I like it on my wifes car for highway driving, hell hers even has a quasi autopilot (lane keeping). But for a truck that will live part of its life on the beach and off road, not needed

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Turned off the lane sense, but use the ACC all the time.. Never use standard CC anymore. When snow-birding, ACC makes it so much more relaxing, and am really looking forward to Open Pilot being supported for those long trips.

Appyfan

Reaction score
I really like the adaptive cruise with one caveat- you have to be careful as the truck accelerates too quickly sometimes. If driving with the adaptive cruise set at 55, but currently in traffic moving at 40 and the front sensors suddenly don’t “see” the car in front of you (such as when you go around a curve), the truck will try to get you back up to 55 quickly. I think the cruise in general (even when using Resume) accelrates too quickly. At least, my truck does.

Lane keep assist only bumps you back from the line you are crossing. It isn’t meant to keep you centered in the lane on its own.

Just my 2 cents.

St-na

Reaction score
Had recently Hyundai elantra for rent. Cheap car, driver seat without motors, normal key etc. But smart drive is fantastic. Lane assist keeps the car just in the middle almost from 0mph, like in self driving car. Was very impressed! Also have wireless Android auto. DASM module on the windshield is very compact, ours is very huge almost took half of the space for less functionality. This box is really ugly. Shame on RAM.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Had recently Hyundai elantra for rent. Cheap car, driver seat without motors, normal key etc. But smart drive is fantastic. Lane assist keeps the car just in the middle almost from 0mph, like in self driving car. Was very impressed! Also have wireless Android auto. DASM module on the windshield is very compact, ours is very huge almost took half of the space for less functionality. This box is really ugly. Shame on RAM.
1633814879805.gif

Reaction score
I had a similar experience in a Nissan rental a couple years back. I could take my hands completely off the steering wheel for long periods of time and the car would just drive itself. It wasn't marketed as self driving, but it was damn sure close to it.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ACC is good. Leaves way to large of a gap though even on the tighter settings. Still it's nice in bumper to bumper traffic and especially in stop and go.

Lanekeep and the parking stuff are 100% useless. The only time they work are when you are all alone and there's comically large well marked lanes or parking spots. So rule out 99.9% of the real world.

vincentw56

Reaction score
ACC is good. Leaves way to large of a gap though even on the tighter settings. Still it's nice in bumper to bumper traffic and especially in stop and go.

Lanekeep and the parking stuff are 100% useless. The only time they work are when you are all alone and there's comically large well marked lanes or parking spots. So rule out 99.9% of the real world.
The parking stuff works great for me. Granted I only use the parallel parking as I tend to park away from everyone else. The gap part on ACC is fairly standard for what's recommended distance. Indiana's drivers manual was changed to 200 feet, so at least it is tighter than that.

LKA is okay, but add a Comma and OpenPilot, then you have a better system. Hands free driving!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I agree about the Lane Keep Assist. I don't see the benefit of it the few times I've tried it. But Park Assist works quite well when parallel parking. I don't have trouble manually parallel parking, but the wife loves using it. She can't parallel park to save her life, but the Park Assist makes it possible for to park in places she never could before. Although it can be painfully slow for the passenger and any other drivers around her LOL.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yeah again if there's not enough room to open all of the doors and stretch your arms out beside them it won't work. Parallel parking again if you can't fit 2 trucks into the spot it wont work.

So rather than it beep at you or just straight give up, just park the truck in 5 seconds instead of waiting for stupid truck to waste minutes trying to figure it out and fail.

( not aimed at you ) Given that there are people who still don't know you can turn the steering wheel more than 90 degrees or can turn while moving, or that they can turn in reverse, I can see where it might help people who should never be allowed to drive a car much less a full size truck.

Openpilot and things like comma have a long ways to go to even get close to tesla. Its an expensive novelty. Same with the parking stuff. fun to do a few times and then you turn it off.

vincentw56

Reaction score
yeah again if there's not enough room to open all of the doors and stretch your arms out beside them it won't work. Parallel parking again if you can't fit 2 trucks into the spot it wont work.

So rather than it beep at you or just straight give up, just park the truck in 5 seconds instead of waiting for stupid truck to waste minutes trying to figure it out and fail.

( not aimed at you ) Given that there are people who still don't know you can turn the steering wheel more than 90 degrees or can turn while moving, or that they can turn in reverse, I can see where it might help people who should never be allowed to drive a car much less a full size truck.

Openpilot and things like comma have a long ways to go to even get close to tesla. Its an expensive novelty. Same with the parking stuff. fun to do a few times and then you turn it off.
Well, every time I've used it to park, parallel or otherwise, it's worked perfectly. I've never needed two trucks worth of room. As long as it is a normal parallel parking space, there is no issue. Maybe yours is having issues. And yes, I can parallel park just fine without it, but it is faster and easier so why not use it (for me anyway).

As far as OpenPilot, I just used it on a 2200 mile trip where it was active more than 95% of the time and it worked as well as my friends Tesla.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Parallel parking again if you can't fit 2 trucks into the spot it wont work.
Not true with either of our trucks. The parking spot doesn't need to be larger than normal. Normal size parking spot with a car at either end. It does as good a job as I can do, possibly better. I don't use it because I'd rather park myself to keep my skills honed LOL.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use ACC daily, both to work and back home.
Now, on the twisty back roads between the highways, I'll turn it off.

St-na

Reaction score
I like park assist, works perfectly for me even in very tight spots, ACC is nice, but lane assist is a bad joke. Will get comma.ai later.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I really like the adaptive cruise with one caveat- you have to be careful as the truck accelerates too quickly sometimes. If driving with the adaptive cruise set at 55, but currently in traffic moving at 40 and the front sensors suddenly don’t “see” the car in front of you (such as when you go around a curve), the truck will try to get you back up to 55 quickly. I think the cruise in general (even when using Resume) accelrates too quickly. At least, my truck does.

Lane keep assist only bumps you back from the line you are crossing. It isn’t meant to keep you centered in the lane on its own.
Agree completely....Accelerates to quickly...also starts to accelerate if you are behind someone and hit the turn signal to pass, it starts accelerating before you start changing lanes...You'd think they'd marry the two functions. Otherwise....I TRULY LOVE the ACC and bought this truck specifically because it had the Adv Safety Group.
Adaptive cruise control is great, but the lane keep assist kinda sucks.
Also agree...the LKA is OK at best.

BE CAREFUL with the parallel parking function. First and only time I tried it the truck backed into a telephone pole that was admittedly very close to the curb, but that could have been a parking meter, a tree, or, God forbid, a person. Had it checked at the dealer...I'm sure you'll all be completely shocked to hear that they found nothing wrong. I've been afraid to use that function ever since.

St-na

Reaction score
I have no any problem with quick acceleration, as long no car in front of me. Seems like my ACC is more intelligent, and this function I really like and using all the time. Park assist works very good as assist, but this is not self driving Tesla or self parking Mercedes S class. Manual clearly stated You have to watch and keep Your leg on the brake. I am using this function for the tight spots like airport parking or similar. You don't need it for Walmart or HEB.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For comparison with other manufacturers, our Honda Odyssey has ACC and Lane Assist. The ACC works fine if you keep it set to the closest distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. Any other distances and it is very jerky and annoying. The Lane Assist is pretty amazing. It does a great job overall and it can even handle stuff like off ramps on the interstate if the lanes are marked well.

Overall, I much prefer the ACC on my mom's 2016 Grand Cherokee Summit. I really do believe that FCA has ACC nailed. I can't speak to the Lane Assist other than to say that there are plenty of stretches of road that our Honda just plain doesn't like despite being well marked and driving fast enough to where the system should function properly.

Users who are viewing this thread