5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Active Park Assist - Cast Your Vote!

What is your experience with the Park Assist feature on your Ram 1500?

• Use it & love it!

• I would love to use it, but am scared.

• Never used it & have no interest in doing so

• Do I have it?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rick J

Reaction score
I was responding to the question in the thread about the parking brake and my bad. I misread the question :oops:

Last edited:

Ram Ranch

Reaction score
My truck does not have the "self parking" feature.

However, I learned real quick about the automatic braking feature when reversing. It scares me. It is WAY to sensitive. I cant back into an empty parking spot without this thing slamming on the brakes and giving me and everyone in the truck a heart attack. Even when reversing through a plowed flat farm field it will see a blade of grass and brake. (was showing my mother the truck for the first time and this feature scared her to death, she wont ride in the truck because of it). Dealer ignores my problems. Seriously, the last place I want a jump scare is when I am slowly backing into a parking spot.

I like the parking tones but that brake feature was disabled on day 2 of ownership and I have never re-enabled it since...

Bluesurf

Reaction score
If the spot is that tight I will not park in it, I don't need the assist for that. I tried it once and its not worth the hassle. Its not that "automatic". You must use the gas and the break,
I'll do it myself!!!

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Should be a vote in the middle - I've Used It - It's OK, but I don't really use it often.

I've tried it out a couple of times - just for kicks. It's better at ID'ing a parallel spot than just eyeballing it.

OTOH- I had to parallel park a tractor & 53' trailer for my CDL road test - so I think I can handle a pickup truck on my own.

Which brings me to - IF YOU CAN MAKE A TRUCK SELF-PARK - WHY CAN'T THE LANE ASSIST KEEP YOU CENTERED IN A LANE. One of THE.MOST.FRUSTRATING "features" on this truck. My 16 Honda Pilot - it was almost like AUTOPILOT, including curves.

Rick

RSConsulting

Reaction score
If the spot is that tight I will not park in it, I don't need the assist for that. I tried it once and its not worth the hassle. Its not that "automatic". You must use the gas and the break,
I'll do it myself!!!
I wouldn't use the GAS AND THE BRAKE - JUST THE BRAKE.

Do you really want a truck turning the wheel on it's own, to move any faster than an idle/creep anyways.

The system works "pretty well" - does a lot more "pullups" than I would. Doesn't center perfectly in "side by side" spots.

In todays tight parking lots - it's a PITA to get into a spot sometimes - especially when NO ONE ELSE seems to be able to center their cars in a spot. I mean, ferchristsakes people - THERE ARE LINES THERE.

A lot of places don't allow "back in parking" either. I understand it's easier to take advantage of the wheelbase/swing by backing in - but many public lots (paid parking) want to see your rear tag so they can give you a ticket for failing to stuff the meter. Backing in is an instant ticket (though I have a HC placard - so I get a pass either way).

The technology isn't "horrible" (unlike the lanekeeper software).

It's like the sunroof - that I think I've had open 3X in 25K miles.

Rick

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I wouldn't use the GAS AND THE BRAKE - JUST THE BRAKE.

Do you really want a truck turning the wheel on it's own, to move any faster than an idle/creep anyways.

The system works "pretty well" - does a lot more "pullups" than I would. Doesn't center perfectly in "side by side" spots.

In todays tight parking lots - it's a PITA to get into a spot sometimes - especially when NO ONE ELSE seems to be able to center their cars in a spot. I mean, ferchristsakes people - THERE ARE LINES THERE.

A lot of places don't allow "back in parking" either. I understand it's easier to take advantage of the wheelbase/swing by backing in - but many public lots (paid parking) want to see your rear tag so they can give you a ticket for failing to stuff the meter. Backing in is an instant ticket (though I have a HC placard - so I get a pass either way).

The technology isn't "horrible" (unlike the lanekeeper software).

It's like the sunroof - that I think I've had open 3X in 25K miles.

Rick
Sorry you are correct, I only used it once about 17 months ago when I got my truck. That was the only and last time for me.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a great idea and it "works". But it needs so much room you could park a bus for it to not give up. At that point with that much room I can park super easy myself.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Never worked from the day I brought it home ,had it at the dealer half a dozen times I was there end of September and they still can't fix it. I CAN'T BACK INTO MY OWN DRIVEWAY. OF I WOULD HAVE TEST DROVE THIS TO MY HOUSE IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A DEALBREAKER AS I USE IT FOR MY DISABILITY.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
We sincerely apologize for the frustration, @HemiRam. Please do not hesitate to follow up with our customer care team for further support as you work with your dealer. You may call in at 866-726-4636 or submit your info here to receive an email follow up. https://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/ram/emailpage.html

Mark
RamCares

BmoreStew

Reaction score
I used it once for a back in spot... it worked, but it took an odd angle, requiring some back and forth and additional time, but it got in there. Frankly, i was embarrassed when I got out of the truck. I had to fight the urge to explain to passers by that ”it was the truck, not me.”

Seemed to me that the truck wasn’t looking ahead for spots, but beside or nearly behind itself and so it wasn’t able to position itself well in preparation for backing into parking space.

I haven’t used it for parallel parking yet, but mean to try it out... it’s just not something I’ve got the opportunity to do much anymore and the few times I’ve had to I’ve feared that the truck would embarrass me, so I’ve done it myself.

Honestly, if I didn’t have to work the gas and brake myself, I’d probably have given it more of a chance and tried to figure it out, but it isn’t truly autonomous AND it takes longer; I might as well do it myself.

Tom488

Reaction score
I tried it a couple of times, mainly just to demo it for friends. It seems to work fine, but just takes way too long. I've been backing big trucks into little spaces for long enough - there's no way an auto-park feature is going to do it better or faster. I find the backup and SurroundView cameras far more useful (though I wish the SurroundView could use the full 12" screen so the view was larger)

Users who are viewing this thread