5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blingnurse24

Reaction score
Hey folks, 1st time truck owner. I have a 2019 1500 Bighorn/Lonestar. 3.6 v6 etourque that I just purchased. I was at the dealership having them fix something that needed repaired when I bought it. They informed me that it needed an Active grill dam replacement- "Active lost connection with active dam module." Is what repair estimate says. I have never even heard of this. Is this normal? Should I have had some kind of warning light on? I am leery anyway after having some issues and misinformation from this service department anyway. And the price seems really high. Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remove it for zero cost. Clear code. Search active air dam and you’ll find lots of info on it.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Both. Alot of guys remove it for aesthetic purposes. I’m thinking about removing mine and the chin spoiler once I lift my rig. Might even do it before hand. From my research, it only aids in long distance highway EPG, and it’s minimal even at that.

Blingnurse24

Reaction score
Both. Alot of guys remove it for aesthetic purposes. I’m thinking about removing mine and the chin spoiler once I lift my rig. Might even do it before hand. From my research, it only aids in long distance highway EPG, and it’s minimal even at that.
I will have to research it more. I don't even know what it is or where on the truck. lol. But charging me over $1000 to replace it I feel is a lot.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This is a good starting point.

Yeah, IMO, repairing the ADD is not worth that much.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do your research, and plenty of it. The forums can steer (pun intended) you in the right direction, but ultimately, it’s your vehicle to make sure you do what you want to it and the correct things needed.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It this about the Active Air Dam (AAD) or Active Grille Shutters (AGS)?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
These trucks have an Active Air Dam and Active Grille Shutters. Seems like they're confused about which has the problem. Active Air Dam can be removed without throwing a CEL, but the Active Grille Shutters will trigger a CEL when unplugged. The same trouble code is triggered for a problem with either the AAD or AGS. Hopefully they have narrowed it down to which one it is. I'd just unplug the AAD, reset the ECU and see if the light comes back on. Here's a pic showing the AAD.

Active air dam 2.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
These trucks have an Active Air Dam and Active Grille Shutters. Seems like they're confused about which has the problem. Active Air Dam can be removed without throwing a CEL, but the Active Grille Shutters will trigger a CEL when unplugged. The same trouble code is triggered for a problem with either the AAD or AGS. Hopefully they have narrowed it down to which one it is. I'd just unplug the AAD, reset the ECU and see if the light comes back on. Here's a pic showing the AAD.

View attachment 167314
FWIW, removing the AAD will set a code, just won't trip a CEL. If anyone scans the PCM it will show the code.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
FWIW, removing the AAD will set a code, just won't trip a CEL. If anyone scans the PCM it will show the code.
FWIW I said it wouldn't trip a CEL. I made no claims about any stored trouble codes. I removed the AAD on our 2020 Limited three years ago. It's been to the dealership twice for warranty repairs, and they've never mentioned anything about any stored codes. People here claim it sets a code. I can't say whether it does or doesn't because I've never scanned the PCM myself. Even if it does it hasn't negatively affected the truck in any way.

Rick7812

Reaction score
Hey folks, 1st time truck owner. I have a 2019 1500 Bighorn/Lonestar. 3.6 v6 etourque that I just purchased. I was at the dealership having them fix something that needed repaired when I bought it. They informed me that it needed an Active grill dam replacement- "Active lost connection with active dam module." Is what repair estimate says. I have never even heard of this. Is this normal? Should I have had some kind of warning light on? I am leery anyway after having some issues and misinformation from this service department anyway. And the price seems really high. Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks
It is the plastic piece behind the black plastic at bottom of front bumper. It lowers at highway speed to " deduce drag and increase fuel economy ". A lot of people remove both pieces to make their because they like the Beefer look. Look for some photos of other trucks. Gives the effect that truck looks higher off the ground.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It is the plastic piece behind the black plastic at bottom of front bumper. It lowers at highway speed to " deduce drag and increase fuel economy
Not to nitpick, but it engages at 45mph for what it's worth.
It's also unknown on trucks with air suspension if it engages in Aero mode or just Normal height modes. If OP wants to replace it, I believe the part is around $250-350 new from ebay.

If it's ags then I'm not sure on the cost but I know it wouldn't be worth it money wise. At least the AAD in theory could give you better traction at high speeds, AGS? Just help your engine get heat soaked if anything.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW I said it wouldn't trip a CEL. I made no claims about any stored trouble codes. I removed the AAD on our 2020 Limited three years ago. It's been to the dealership twice for warranty repairs, and they've never mentioned anything about any stored codes. People here claim it sets a code. I can't say whether it does or doesn't because I've never scanned the PCM myself. Even if it does it hasn't negatively affected the truck in any way.
It's not an unfounded claim. It does set a code, 100%. I can go scan my truck right now and screen shot it. And it was just a FYI. To many they think just because there is no CEL, that there are no codes.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's not an unfounded claim. It does set a code, 100%. I can go scan my truck right now and screen shot it. And it was just a FYI. To many they think just because there is no CEL, that there are no codes.
Haha chill out dude. I never said it's unfounded. Re-read what I posted (and you quoted). Why do you always feel the need to attack? Can't you be helpful without attacking other members? And you're a mod SMH.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Haha chill out dude. I never said it's unfounded. Re-read what I posted (and you quoted). Why do you always feel the need to attack? Can't you be helpful without attacking other members? And you're a mod SMH.
Just responded in kind to how your reply came across.

Users who are viewing this thread