5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Active air ram delete from factory?

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, i hope it's removed in the 2022 ram 1500 big horn back country package.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2021 Laramie here without the Active Air Dam (Acitve Air Dam Delete -$85). At first I thought it was because I bought the Night Edition. Now I'm finding out it's because of a part shortage. WTF?!
We have nearly identical builds and mine came with the active air dam. It must come down to parts available at the time of the build. When was your truck built?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
it's pretty useless in my opinion...just adds weight. I've thought about removing it myself.
I assure you it's not useless. They wouldn't put it there just for fun. Less air moving under the vehichle = less drag.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
some of the early 2019 MY trucks with air suspension did not get the active air dam.

I’d bet it was all 2019 MY trucks w/ air suspension that didn’t get it.

My late build (May 2019) doesn’t have it and they started production back in Jan/Feb 2018

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 Limited Hemi with air suspension didn't have it.

My 2020 Limited Ecodiesel with air suspension does have it.

Haha

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’d bet it was all 2019 MY trucks w/ air suspension that didn’t get it.

My late build (May 2019) doesn’t have it and they started production back in Jan/Feb 2018
It's very possible you're right. But without proof I wouldn't make that statement myself. I seem to remember reading posts in an older thread where people with 2019 Limited's also have the active air dam. I'd have to go back and read through that thread to be sure though.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
There is one more set of active shutters on trucks equipped with the Ecodiesel, it’s for the intercooler for the turbo, it cools the pressurized air before going into the engine intake. The shutters are below the grill in the front bumper and above the skid plate on my Rebel.
So they've got shutters now for the turbo intercooler. That's pretty "cool". 😃

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
So they've got shutters now for the turbo intercooler. That's pretty "cool". 😃
I can't think of a condition where I would want the intercooler to be blocked by the active shutters. Can you? I suspect these were added because the fuel economy in the wind tunnel improved slightly by diverting air around the bumper instead of through the intercooler.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't think of a condition where I would want the intercooler to be blocked by the active shutters. Can you? I suspect these were added because the fuel economy in the wind tunnel improved slightly by diverting air around the bumper instead of through the intercooler.
Winter time. I believe the previous gen Ecodiesel had issues with intercooler icing in very cold weather and they wanted you to use the grill cover included in the cold weather package.
The new Ecodiesel has shutters to help prevent this and use of the cold weather grill is optional.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Winter time. I believe the previous gen Ecodiesel had issues with intercooler icing in very cold weather and they wanted you to use the grill cover included in the cold weather package.
The new Ecodiesel has shutters to help prevent this and use of the cold weather grill is optional.
Intercooler icing? Perhaps, but it wasn't a common problem on the previous gen Ecodiesel. I was a member of an Ecodiesel forum when I owned a 2015 ED, and read about a lot of problems with those engines. But I don't remember reading about anyone having issues with icing. I guess it could happen if you get moisture in your intercooler. And I might buy the icing argument if not for the fact that they are all equipped with this. What use does someone in Florida or Southern California have for intercooler shutters to prevent icing? I'm still convinced they added the intercooler shutters to help with their corporate mpg numbers.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's the crazy part...I have air AND active air dam. Lots of guys report the same thing too...

My '21 Laramie built in Early November has both the Air Suspension, Air Dam,
and Grill Shutters. I wonder why they still include the Grill Cover for the Cold
Weather Package for my Ecodiesel too.

Malodave

HandyCruiser

Reaction score

When not under load, the air moving through the intercooler doesn't require that much cooling, if any at all. Many of the diesel engines in big trucks didn't even have intercoolers until the early-1970's. Cummins started using them (water cooled versions) at that time when they went from the 335 Cummins to the 350 and 400. They also added it to the "big cam" 290. For the new RAM Eco-diesel, the shutters are PCM controlled, so they can be open when needed under multiple different conditions and not as much when not needed.

Overall, the goal with this stuff doesn't really seem to be about performance or value for the owner, even though it's marketed that way. Instead, it appears to be an attempt to improve fuel mileage on paper over the entire production fleet. I kind of feel the same way about e-Torque. To me, it just seems like a way to slightly improve towing, slightly improve fuel mileage and avoid having to design a new power plant for a few more years. Add an active air dam and some shutters for the front grill and there's another very small mpg gain. At least, it is on paper across the fleet. Or so it seems. :unsure:

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Intercooler icing? Perhaps, but it wasn't a common problem on the previous gen Ecodiesel. I was a member of an Ecodiesel forum when I owned a 2015 ED, and read about a lot of problems with those engines. But I don't remember reading about anyone having issues with icing. I guess it could happen if you get moisture in your intercooler. And I might buy the icing argument if not for the fact that they are all equipped with this. What use does someone in Florida or Southern California have for intercooler shutters to prevent icing? I'm still convinced they added the intercooler shutters to help with their corporate mpg numbers.
A quick Google search shows its indeed a problem on the previous trucks.

Of course the shutters help with mpg. Manufacturers will use every trick they can to squeeze an extra mpg or two if they can.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
A quick Google search shows its indeed a problem on the previous trucks.

Of course the shutters help with mpg. Manufacturers will use every trick they can to squeeze an extra mpg or two if they can.
Didn't say it wasn't a problem, just that I don't remember reading about it being a problem. ;)

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to add a note, the winter cover for the ecodiesel only covers the grill for the engine radiator and does not cover the intercooler.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
$85 is a joke. They would probably charge over $1000 to install

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
My 21 BTS with a production date of 5/21 doesnt have the active air dam or shutters.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have nearly identical builds and mine came with the active air dam. It must come down to parts available at the time of the build. When was your truck built?
Built May 2021. Bought it June 12, 2021.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/