5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Active air ram delete from factory?

davidajpritchard

Reaction score
My father has a 2019 Limited and he has both too. Not sure if the 2020s were the same way or if it is still happening on the 2021s up until this point.
My 2020 Limited has both

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

Mr.G

Reaction score
So if you wanted to have one installed it would only cost $85. Ya right!

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do not have an air dam because I have a Rebel, my truck also has the ecodiesel, all the diesels have the inter cooler with active shutters, located in a slot in the bumper, I believe that there would not be room for the servo motors and mechanism for an active air dam.
Yea and Rebels don't have the fixed airdam under the bumper so the active air dam would be hanging 6 inches under the bumper with a big air gap rendering it useless.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Some of the early 2019 models with air suspension didn’t have the active air dam. At some point they changed that policy. My wife’s 2020 limited came with one, and so did my 2021 limited. It has a March 2021 build date. This is a new thing, and I suspect it’s caused by a parts shortage. It’s not just computer chips that are in short supply.

madmax2425

Reaction score
mine was just built 21 bighorn e torque5.7 and window says active air dam delete -$85.00

Mr. Grumpy

Reaction score
I have a 2021 with air ride and air damp. I think the issue is the skid plate. If your truck has a front skid plate, the truck won’t have the clearance for the air dam.

McHouck

Reaction score
I have a 2021 with air ride and air damp. I think the issue is the skid plate. If your truck has a front skid plate, the truck won’t have the clearance for the air dam.
Bingo! I have ORP which has all of the skid plates.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bingo! I have ORP which has all of the skid plates.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I believe he’s referring to the front skid plate that’s only on the Rebel, but I might be mistaken. I have the ORP on my 2020 and I have the air dam.

This current exclusion from trucks is most-likely related to a shortage.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rebel does not have an active air dam due to the different front bumper that's more off-road oriented.

My 2019 ORG truck has an active air dam. It's supposed to lower at ~ 38 mph for better fuel economy.

Regardless of how effective it might/might not be, it's still better than that huge lower valance/skirt hanging off the front of the F-150s.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
it's pretty useless in my opinion...just adds weight. I've thought about removing it myself.

chuck01835

Reaction score
Just got my window sticker for my 2021 limited with standard hemi. It has 'active air dam delete'. I also ordered the skid plates. My guess is they won't work together.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got my window sticker for my 2021 limited with standard hemi. It has 'active air dam delete'. I also ordered the skid plates. My guess is they won't work together.
I think it's due to the chip shortage.

I have the ORG and an active air dam. The "front" skid plate covers some of the major steering components and the bottom of the engine, which is far from interfering with the 'active' portion of the air dam.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
One has nothing to do with the other. There are tons of 2019's and 2020's with active air dams and skid plates. You'd have a valid guess if there was a front skid plate, but there is not. Like brian42 said, it's due to the chip shortage.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Starting in 2019 the RAM 1500 DT comes standard with two aerodynamics-focused moving parts:

A standard active air dam that lowers itself 2.5 inches from the front of the 1500 whenever the truck nears 35 mph. The exception is the Ram 1500 whose owners bought the air suspension option. This option drops the truck 0.6 inches. "The air dam would be scraping the ground", according to an FCA spokesman.

1627387269035.png

1627388263156.png
The Ram 1500 also comes standard with active grille shutters, which can automatically close themselves when appropriate for optimal airflow. They’re located behind the grille.

1627387328104.png

According to FCA, "The active air dam and active grille use “smart actuators” which “communicate directly with the vehicle’s control systems and ensure the aero systems deploy correctly, based on vehicle inputs such as speed, temperature and drive mode.” It is also reported that the active grille and air dam helps Ram 1500 DT drivers lose 7% of drag and save 1 mpg. “Across the Ram truck fleet, the active aero system is expected to save an estimated 10 million gallons of fuel annually,”

As already states, the -$85 is the amount deducted from the base price of the vehicle that does not come with this standard feature.

Last edited:

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2021 Laramie here without the Active Air Dam (Acitve Air Dam Delete -$85). At first I thought it was because I bought the Night Edition. Now I'm finding out it's because of a part shortage. WTF?!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Starting in 2019 the RAM 1500 DT comes standard with two aerodynamics-focused moving parts:

A standard active air dam that lowers itself 2.5 inches from the front of the 1500 whenever the truck nears 35 mph. The exception is the Ram 1500 whose owners bought the air suspension option. This option drops the truck 0.6 inches. "The air dam would be scraping the ground", according to an FCA spokesman.
This is incorrect. The air dam doesn't come close to scraping the ground LOL. Like I said in an earlier post, some of the early 2019 MY trucks with air suspension did not get the active air dam. But that policy was not in place in 2020 and later models. If it was true neither mine (2021) nor my wife's (2020) Limited's would have come with the active air dam. Nor would any of the other Limited owners who have posted in other threads that they have both air suspension and the active air dam. This current active air dam delete thing is new, and is almost certainly related to a supply shortage of at least one component of the active air dam system. The air suspension is not the reason for it.

CentralPaRam

Reaction score
2021 Laramie here without the Active Air Dam (Acitve Air Dam Delete -$85). At first I thought it was because I bought the Night Edition. Now I'm finding out it's because of a part shortage. WTF?!
While my build was pending, I reached out to RamCares about which trucks were having air dams deleted, and whether it was connected to certain trims or packages, or if it was across the board because of part shortages. I never heard back until after my build was complete (7/2/21). They just said my truck had the active air dam. No further explanation. I have the off-road package (which has skid plates), so that can’t be what was driving the delete.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 101074

View attachment 101076
The Ram 1500 also comes standard with active grille shutters, which can automatically close themselves when appropriate for optimal airflow. They’re located behind the grille.

View attachment 101075

According to FCA, "The active air dam and active grille use “smart actuators” which “communicate directly with the vehicle’s control systems and ensure the aero systems deploy correctly, based on vehicle inputs such as speed, temperature and drive mode.” It is also reported that the active grille and air dam helps Ram 1500 DT drivers lose 7% of drag and save 1 mpg. “Across the Ram truck fleet, the active aero system is expected to save an estimated 10 million gallons of fuel annually,”

As already states, the -$85 is the amount deducted from the base price of the vehicle that does not come with this standard feature.
There is one more set of active shutters on trucks equipped with the Ecodiesel, it’s for the intercooler for the turbo, it cools the pressurized air before going into the engine intake. The shutters are below the grill in the front bumper and above the skid plate on my Rebel.

Users who are viewing this thread