5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

active air dams?

dwalme

Reaction score
My first 2021 RAM had AAD and my current one does not. Basically the same truck and if anything I'd expect my current Laramie to be a little worse on mpg.

First truck had terrible gas mileage and this one isn't bad. It may work on paper but in practice there are other assembly variables that seem to make a bigger difference.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I tend to agree. Thinking it would help more above 70 mph. Might unplug it one day just to see what happens

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does the aad make that big of a difference to mpg?
I never noticed any kind of difference in any of the three 5th gens I've removed them from. I see more of a difference in fuel economy between me and my wife driving (she's damn hard on the throttle :ROFLMAO:). I'm sure there is a measurable difference in the wind tunnel. But you're not likely to notice it in real world driving.

alsrepair9

Reaction score
I just now realized that apparently because of the chip shortages my ram never came with the active airdam, anyone on this forum attempted to install one by just purchasing the part # and etc?
So mine is setting a cel and looking to remove the chip I put a new AAD on it and cleared the code and it came right back it didn't have one for the last 70,000 miles now I have 75,000 on it without the AAD and it setting a code for it which makes me think it's something else. I'm looking at removing the chip if someone can help with the location.

Thanks

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So mine is setting a cel and looking to remove the chip I put a new AAD on it and cleared the code and it came right back it didn't have one for the last 70,000 miles now I have 75,000 on it without the AAD and it setting a code for it which makes me think it's something else. I'm looking at removing the chip if someone can help with the location.

Thanks
There’s no chip to remove to delete the AAD. You’d probably have to remove is and disable it permanently using alpha or jscan. Not sure where the setting is tho

ocwill1

Reaction score
have a 23 LImited with air and has the AAD. Removed it and have not noticed any diff in mpg. Not sure why it had AAD with air, was my understanding that it was not supposed to due to aero mode.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
have a 23 LImited with air and has the AAD. Removed it and have not noticed any diff in mpg. Not sure why it had AAD with air, was my understanding that it was not supposed to due to aero mode.
Early on some 2019 models with air suspension didn't have the AAD, but that changed later on. It's normal for your '23 Limited to have the AAD.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks
Could be the grill shutters.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It doesn’t do much. Ram put this on to gain as much mpg in the wind tunnel as they could to appease the green gods.

Users who are viewing this thread