5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Activating 4WD to keep it working well?

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Shift forks and clutches develop wear ridges over time running in the same position. Motor commutators will oxidize. Gear and cam lubes will drain off due to gravity. It's a good idea to operate things once in awhile to redistribute all that stuff, and also verifies that it actually works. And if not, clues you in to visit the shop for repair, rather than be surprised when you needed it.

I also like to run the engine at high RPM once in awhile. Wear ridges build up near the tops of cylinders from the piston rings, and the connecting rods stretch and compress a bit more with RPM. So if I were to need full power in an emergency, I don't want it to be the first time the rings have encountered that particular bit of cylinder wall.

;) There's no redline on the tachometer, so it must be good at any speed up to 8,000, right? ;)

All true. I have a friend that had a nissan titan 4x4. He rarely used 4x4 and tried on day when he needed it, system wouldn't engage. Took it to nissan and they had to replace the entire front axle (diff not serviceable alone) due to no lubrication from none use

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There's simply no way that true. You're using power to rotate an additional drive shaft, 2 additional wheels , an additional differential and 2 additional axles or half shafts. Its add rotational mass and no way it doesn't impact both performance and fuel mileage.
These trucks don't make enough power (producing excess wheel spin) to need 4auto at the track, the only benefit would be any gear reduction that may occur and that would be mitigated in the first 30' and a 2wd truck would be around you by 60'.

You're literally diverting power to rotate 250-300 lbs more mass and given rotational weight loss (unsprung weight) is a bigger hit to performance than sprung weight (100 lbs is = to about 10hp til about a mid 11 sec ET), you're giving up 25-30 fwhp to 2wd mode
Without running drag radials or slicks, you can't launch a Hemi Ram at the track under full throttle which hurts your time. Having to feather the throttle to control wheel spin gives you slower times. Local 1/8 mile track, I run in 4-hi and leave it there the entire run. There's just not enough track to make switching after the launch worthwhile. And that's even with 35x12.5" tires.

4-auto uses the clutches in transfer case to put power to front wheels. The slipping of the clutches robs power that doesnt happen when locked in 4-hi.

There are only a couple 4th gen RC 2wd trucks that run faster times than I do at my local track. Not a single 5th gen has been able to match my times. Except TRXs

BowDown

Reaction score
Speak for yourself :D

I wasnt speaking about TRXs but I can pull the nano nitrous kit off the Z06, I'll spray anything 😅.
That said, I'd be surprised to see a stock TRX light them up from a dig on a prepped track.
The only trucks Ive seen leave hard and need 4wd from a dig are 5.0 TT F150's or Shelby F150s and those damn things straight fly

Last edited:

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wasnt speaking about TRXs but I can pull the nano nitrous kit off the Z06, I'll spray anything 😅.
That said, I'd be surprised to see a stock TRX light them up from a dig on a prepped track.
The only trucks Ive seen leave hard and need 4wd from a dig are 5.0 TT F150's or Shelby F150s and those damn things straight fly
Can't speak for a prepped track, but I can chirp the tires from a dig on a regular old street. 2WD definitely wouldn't work out well on a TRX.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Most Street tires don't hook on the track, prepped or not. You can actually launch easier in clean pavement with street tires than a prepped track. The prep only really helps drag radials or slicks. If trucks can't spin in RWD only, on street tires, then they aren't make f much power. I was consistently chirping the 1-2 shift on factory tires, on a prepped track, trying to run in RWD only. That was after having to feather throttle to control wheel spin off the line.

BowDown

Reaction score
Most Street tires don't hook on the track, prepped or not. You can actually launch easier in clean pavement with street tires than a prepped track. The prep only really helps drag radials or slicks. If trucks can't spin in RWD only, on street tires, then they aren't make f much power. I was consistently chirping the 1-2 shift on factory tires, on a prepped track, trying to run in RWD only. That was after having to feather throttle to control wheel spin off the line.

That depends on the tire. Summer tires or extreme summer tires work well on a prepped track with a 4000+lbs vehicle.
Im always on a tire though, street or track, doesn't matter so not really an issue.
If I were tracking this truck, I'd use a 18" wheel and a summer tire and I'd be fine.

Still think Ram missed a audience without a street version of the TRX

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That depends on the tire. Summer tires or extreme summer tires work well on a prepped track with a 4000+lbs vehicle.
Im always on a tire though, street or track, doesn't matter so not really an issue.
If I were tracking this truck, I'd use a 18" wheel and a summer tire and I'd be fine.

I agree, or at least a 6.4l 2wd with factory lowered suspension. And the 6.4 from Dodge not the HD truck 6.4

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Would need to be a UHP or better summer tire. 300 tread wear or less. Or basically the a street radial like the Nitto NT555R

Crashmymax

Reaction score
Launching in 4x4 or 4 auto is a 15 to 30% hp loss in the t case. Spinning out in 2 wheel drive is no better. Put some slicks on it or launch in 4x4 😁
Technology has changed so much but I stick with what my dad taught me. It's healthy to run an engine through the entire rpm range once in a while. Also to lock the hubs in and drive in 4x4. We no longer have to do that but I would absolutely put some miles on the truck in 4x4 high and low every year.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
4WD Auto in rain (and…soon snow…lol)
Don’t think it makes one bit of difference one way or the other.
I can’t recall reading anything anywhere it needs to be active any time ever to keep it working.
I can tell you.. in rain/slippery conditions, auto is excellent to have.
I may or may not have a bit of a heavy foot at stop lights/stop signs and in the rain… I may or may not spin the rear tires occasionally if I forget to put it in 4WD Auto.. LOL
This...may or may not happen to me!

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is why the TRX doesn’t even have a 2WD mode. 4-auto is the lowest you can go.
To be honest, I don’t see why everyone shouldn’t use 4-auto all the time. Unless it’s about the fuel economy.
I ran 4 auto all the time when I had a Silverado. I have only ever heard that could be a mechanical problem based on things I have read here. So is it a Ram thing or was I just lucky?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I ran 4 auto all the time when I had a Silverado. I have only ever heard that could be a mechanical problem based on things I have read here. So is it a Ram thing or was I just lucky?
A lot would all depend on how or here you drive. I think most of the issues come when people are trying to run off-road in 4-auto

BowDown

Reaction score
Would need to be a UHP or better summer tire. 300 tread wear or less. Or basically the a street radial like the Nitto NT555R

Most of the summer tires I'd use are under 300.
I currently drive on 100 or less in the car, R888R but probably going to the NT555R next.

I'd put the R888Rs on a dedicated set of wheels for the truck and I'd bet that was overkill

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's the same thing on a Silverado but the Chevy dealership will not say so.
There was actually better information on the transfer case in the 14-18 year Silverado detailed exactly how it works and it even directly said it was safe for use on dry flat ground in 4A. This is from the manufacture of the transfer case, not Chevy of course.

I had transfer case problems with mine which lead me to do all this research on it and I found a 15 page or so white paper on the exact unit even with diagrams and pictures.

BowDown

Reaction score
All this is yet one more reason that I'm aggravated by the 2025 tungsten only coming in four-wheel drive. An option I don't need, I don't want and potential problems.

I don't have to worry about any of this S with two wheel drive nor have I ever needed 4x4

Insanity

Reaction score
I don't have to worry about any of this S with two wheel drive nor have I ever needed 4x4

I once bought a ram 1500 rwd in Oklahoma then had to move back to New York. That winter I missed not having 4wd. I will never be without at least 1 truck that has 4wd.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I once bought a ram 1500 rwd in Oklahoma then had to move back to New York. That winter I missed not having 4wd. I will never be without at least 1 truck that has 4wd.
Snow tires or 4wd. Need 1 or both in snow. Snow tires are better than any 4wd or awd system you will ever drive.

Users who are viewing this thread