5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Access LED Bed Lights

wacopolumbo

Reaction score
I installed the factory LED bed lights today. Realizing my swing cases would block most of the light when they are in the bed, I also picked up some “Access LED Lights” from my local truck shop. They highly recommended them. They attach with 3M tape and I ran them high under the bed rails. Since I had the back end opened up to do the factory lights, it seemed like a perfect time to install them. The truck shop recommended against splicing them into the factory bed lights because of the possibility of errors from the canbus due to the extra power used. I ended up running the wiring down under the bumper and used a Curt trailer adapter to splice into the constant power wire with messing with the factory harness. Each light strip has its own power button. I’m happy with the set up and it gives good light in the bed with the tonneau cover extended.

Here is the packaging for the lights, I ran one on each side.
4A93B4F5-B151-4C2F-B91A-D5BE185375C9.jpeg 1A3B0CC1-A6D5-4421-89D3-6B7A758C5A0B.jpeg

Here’s how it turned out, even with the swing cases, they provide great light.
A14C3F0F-0A9C-473A-AB8C-7DCF051BD456.jpeg

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wait did you pay $85+ per led strip? That's all I can find on those Access 80170 lights.

wacopolumbo

Reaction score
Yeah, that’s the downside, they are expensive. That said, they are supposed to last. I bought the longest the shop had, 60 inch. They sell them shorter as well. With the swing cases, I wanted to get the light all the was down the bed.

wacopolumbo

Reaction score

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback. Your lights look good!
Yeah I was trying not to be offensive if it came across that way. It definitely pays to get a second opinion when taking advice from any shop these days, even if you trust them.

wacopolumbo

Reaction score
Always a balance, right? Sometimes you’re the dog and sometimes the fire hydrant. :). I’m happy with my lights and know my local shop will make it right if I ever have an issue with them. I do like your “single switch” set up though.

This forum is a great place to learn about what works for folks and what doesn’t and how to get a good deal. From your response, other folks can take advantage of the savings from your experience.

Last edited:

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but you got ripped off, and I hope they last you 20 years with no problems for that price. The ones below do the same thing, have 1 switch, and if the LED's do ever fail they're easy plug and play on a new set.

View attachment 146122

Have the Amazon LEDs installed behind my bed utility rails. It is over 3 years, so far so good. I do not use them much and still planning on putting some form of timer so they shut off if accidentally left on.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah my wife definitely left mine on once. Drained the battery cause it sat in the driveway all weekend. Mine have been in for 2 years with no issue.

wacopolumbo

Reaction score
My luck, mine will fail in 6 months and the local shop who has been there for 30 years will go out of business and I’ll be buying the Amazon ones too! Lol.

Normally I ask here before doing a mod. I learned my lesson!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread