5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Acceptable USB audio formats for new U connect

wiredsol

Reaction score
I have a 2022 1500 Limited ordered (22 weeks waiting so far), my question is what audio formats will the new Uconnect read from a USB drive? I cannot find this info in the owners manual. Flac?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can try and find a flac file to test, but generally these units don't support flac. You don't like to use Bluetooth and transmit from a phone?

warz00

Reaction score
so far ive been able to play both MP3 and M4A - however i do not get any album art using M4A currently - although I'm positive I had it a couple of days ago!

HAL9001

Reaction score
If you have FLAC audio files you wish to use, then simply use your smartphone as the source and play them via BlueTooth or Andriod Auto/CarPlay. That's what I do.

Unless you're an audiophile purist, using FLAC in a vehicle audio system won't be much of an advantage over compressed formats. FLAC sounds best with headphones or a premium home audio system. Vehicles are too noisy to take full advantage.

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
USB thumb drive 32GB $6 - MP3 files holds over 500 songs, plug it in to USB port on truck, works perfectly.
thumb drive.jpg

Dave

warz00

Reaction score
Do other people get album art thru USB? just curious since i get it in my other cars using the same usb sticks

mike146

Reaction score
Have a 128gb USB drive that plays wav, mp3, and flac files thus far. Album art shows up as long as file is properly tagged.

***EDIT*** may have to walk back the album art...thought I was listening to USB, but had XM Radio on... will be working on a usb and verify if art shows in the coming days. The size drive and file format however I am positive about.

Last edited:

mike146

Reaction score
mp3 definitely have album art on usb drive. Have to tag the flac and wav files correctly and check on them.

wiredsol

Reaction score
Have a 128gb USB drive that plays wav, mp3, and flac files thus far. Album art shows up as long as file is properly tagged.

***EDIT*** may have to walk back the album art...thought I was listening to USB, but had XM Radio on... will be working on a usb and verify if art shows in the coming days. The size drive and file format however I am positive about.
I use MP3tag app. Has always worked well for me. Thanks for the leg work. Still waiting for truck. Coming up on 6 months waiting.

mike146

Reaction score
Verified. Album art present on FLAC, mp3, and WAV files as long as tagged correctly with the art.
Also, using a 128gb drive works fine. Not sure what the drive size is limited to, or if limited at all. That is just what I have been using.

Good Luck!!

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
Try a different USB port, some don't do data.
I did the 2 ports under the screen, I saw that the USB icon changed/became clickable and it showed that it cannot be read.

The one in the center console arm rest is only charging. the usb ports at the back, I assume only charging too as they didn't showed anything on the uconnect.

I will try with an as good as empty USB stick. It is a pity that it doesn't work. As I want to let it in the car full of MP3s so that I do not need to use the phone as, together with Android Auto, decharges the battery quickly and the wireless charge nor the usb charging is slow.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I did the 2 ports under the screen, I saw that the USB icon changed/became clickable and it showed that it cannot be read.

The one in the center console arm rest is only charging. the usb ports at the back, I assume only charging too as they didn't showed anything on the uconnect.

I will try with an as good as empty USB stick. It is a pity that it doesn't work. As I want to let it in the car full of MP3s so that I do not need to use the phone as, together with Android Auto, decharges the battery quickly and the wireless charge nor the usb charging is slow.
Make sure you format the drive as fat32

mike146

Reaction score
weird thing, I tried 2 usb sticks yesterday and both could not be read.
just checking, but did you have files on the usb drive that you are trying to read?

Also, I can without doubt attest to fact that 128gb is useable on Uconnect 5. That is what I have in my 22 Rebel.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
just checking, but did you have files on the usb drive that you are trying to read?

Also, I can without doubt attest to fact that 128gb is useable on Uconnect 5. That is what I have in my 22 Rebel.
I have mp3 files on it. It is an 128gb stick. I removed most of the files and tried again and still nothing...

I will try with just 1 mp3 file and will try an older, smaller USB stick too.

Users who are viewing this thread