5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC issue

Lionel B

Reaction score
I drive a 2021 ram classic (warlock). Today my AC stopped blowing cold air still blows hard but not cold at all. I put soapy water on the lines but didn't notice any bubbles. Thinking i need a to refill the refridgerant but i must have a leak somewhere, right? I have 122,000 kms on it. Thanks

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
Found out today that the AC compressor needs to be replaced cost $1500

What does that price include? Depending on how it failed (i.e. if the compressor locked up), there could be metal shavings in the system. The filter (orifice tube) would need to be replaced as well, and in a lot of cases it's integrated into the suction line so you have to replace the entire line.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What does that price include? Depending on how it failed (i.e. if the compressor locked up), there could be metal shavings in the system. The filter (orifice tube) would need to be replaced as well, and in a lot of cases it's integrated into the suction line so you have to replace the entire line.
I was wondering the same thing. That's not a bad price if it's the total cost of the repair including any other parts needed, and labor. But it's a lot if it's the price of the compressor alone. The Mopar compressor is available for around $400 (not including core charge) on one Mopar website (BAM Wholesale).

tristainbdts

Reaction score
I have a odd issue at times, maybe I'm just weird but I can smell the difference between with the compressor and when it is not running by the way the air smells (best way i can describe it is it doesn't smell crisp) I use the automatic a/c option and leave it at 70º. I notice specifically after driving for about 15-20 minutes the smell change, about a minute or so later the crisp smell comes back. I tried a couple of times to turn it down to the "Lo" setting and no difference. Keep in mind I live in Texas and we frequently have 100º+ days in the summer. When I first noticed it I took it to the dealer and they said that it was a little low on freon so they topped it off and checked for leaks. No leaks found. That was almost two years ago so I do not think its compressor or refrigerant issue. Possibly programming......

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. That's not a bad price if it's the total cost of the repair including any other parts needed, and labor. But it's a lot if it's the price of the compressor alone. The Mopar compressor is available for around $400 (not including core charge) on one Mopar website (BAM Wholesale).
It's not fair to compare an online price vs a service department price. Wholesalers will sell parts at a minimal markup usually around 10-20% over cost. Most parts paid by manufacturer warranty is 60-75% over cost. There is not a single service department marking up parts only 10-20%.

tristainbdts

Reaction score
It's not fair to compare an online price vs a service department price. Wholesalers will sell parts at a minimal markup usually around 10-20% over cost. Most parts paid by manufacturer warranty is 60-75% over cost. There is not a single service department marking up parts only 10-20%.
I work for a dealer and can speak for the parts employees that handle the back side of the service work. we will not mark down parts below 25% unless it is specified in a contract to a extended warranty on new parts( not very common, unless dealing with a wholesale customer or fleet services). Used parts are a standard 25% over cost generally across the board. Word of advice if a service writer quotes you one price and it turns out to be cheaper at the end it is because they originally over quoted you to cushion the repair order, typically to account for extra fluids or shop supplies etc they do not want to call you about( makes people feel like they are being nickeled and dimed) not very often will a service writer cut their profits to help you out. Some dealers don't even give employees cuts on labor rates.

Users who are viewing this thread