5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ABS Sheet for Engine Bay Skid Plate

604LMDGUY

Reaction score
I read a thread here regarding skid plate for engine bay. Someone mentioned that he wanted to make a plate out of ABS sheet, exactly the same idea I had. I also don't want to remove the air dam. I don't need anything heavy duty but something that can stop tall weeds and branches getting into the engine bay. I just ordered a 24x48 1/8 ABS sheet and will try to figure out how to make that plate. But if someone here has already made one, any information shared will be much appreciated!

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's an interesting idea. Couple thoughts to offer:
1) Not sure 1/8" will prove to be thick enough. See what happens.
2) If I remember correctly, ABS tends to crack under continuous mechanical stress, so pay particular attention to how you attach it. I'm thinking big fender washers at least, or trap it between a couple pieces of metal angle.
3) Polycarbonate is tougher, maybe better material choice. Yeah more $$.
Best wishes!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Someone talked about making one. They even provided dimensions. I’ll try and look for the thread

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's the one I was reading....the whole point is not to breaking my wallet and being practical.
I agree. Many vehicles have thin plastic skid plates. They do help with sticks, road sludge, etc. Good enough for those not going off road imo.

jkm312

Reaction score
I agree. Many vehicles have thin plastic skid plates. They do help with sticks, road sludge, etc. Good enough for those not going off road imo.
That's what I had on my 09 Silverado, it was OK for what I was doing with it. I went into the fields once in awhile but nothing serious as in off roading. It kept most of the crap off the front of the engine. Didn't get in the way of oil changes and such.
Instead of ABS why not use acrylic plexigass? It would stand the heat better than ABS, as well as hold a bolt better. I was able to heat it up with a heat gun and shape it around the plastic barrel I use in a dust collector as a sight glass.
Shops where windows are repaired would have some drop large enough for this application. They could answer some questions as to how much of and how sharp of a bend you could produce. Mock one up out of cardboard. Can't tell you how many times I cheated with weld wire to get an angle I was looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread