5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About to pull the trigger on a Travel Trailer - need some of your inputs to confirm my understanding....

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We actually starting the trailer hunt before covid started, it put us on hold, but now we're back in the game!

Our goal is seasonal, where we might have to pull it one or twice a year at most, and those would be short (within 200 KMs / 120 miles at most)
On towing days (if any) it would be 1-2 people max, with limited gear or anything in the truck

I've attached the truck labels, and this is the trailer we have our eyes on

Also the only thing I don't have is the WDH (yet) and the trailer! Before I go write a big cheque, I want to confirm with some of you guys!

Attachments

• IMG_1788.jpg
    IMG_1788.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1789.jpg
    IMG_1789.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 214

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Good to go based on experience. My payload is 1444lbs and I always have my wife, daughter and son in the truck. My Trailer is 6873lbs dry, 7600lbs loaded. Have about 200lbs left to GVWR when hitched and has been scaled many times. I tow with the 60 gallon fresh tank full as we dry camp a lot.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get the best WDH you can afford, as that’s a pretty long trailer. Super nice too!

And I’m sure it will scale heavier than the brochure, for both total and tongue weight. But its just the two of you, so should be fine.

BilletMotoRam

Reaction score
As long as you have a brake controller in your truck & a good weight distribution hitch your good, I would definitely have them throw in the WDH of your choice with purchase of your trailer. Enjoy!!!

OBX_Rebel

Reaction score
I have very similar specs for my Rebel and my camper. I also seasonal camp in NC and only tow the camper a couple of times a year. Like me, you will be at the top of the envelope, and you will need to keep and eye on how loaded down you are to stay within limits. Your truck will have little trouble towing, but it will probably sag a bit when hitched up. I added air ride 1000 helper bags and the sag is gone at 35 psi. I also added a helwig to avoid sway. Stay at 65 mph and watch you breaking distance and you should be just fine. I wouldn’t want to tow all around the country like this, but for seasonal camping it works fine. Where are you going to be seasonal camping?

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have a couple of places in mind, going to be around the grand bend area (Ontario) for the first year or 2 and then will start moving north every year or 2 after that.
We don’t want to be too close to home but also don’t want to be too far that we start thinking of it as a chore and stop wanting to drive.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is a really good looking travel trailer, are you getting it this year? If it is in stock you might be getting a better price because the camping season has ended in Ontario.
The payload on my Rebel is 1326 lbs, almost 300 lbs less than your Sport, the reason is all the added options, sunroof, ramboxes ….so your trailer tongue weight will be around 1000 lbs once loaded, it gives you around 600 lbs remaining for payload, you will be ok, just make sure when towing your trailer that you don’t overload, after all you plan on leaving it there for the season, so you could always bring the rest of your stuff on the next trips. By going to a seasonal park you will not have to fill the fresh water tank, that is anywhere from 400 to 600 lbs.(40 or 60 gallons)
I bought the Airlift 1000HD for my truck, I can put 50 psi to a max capacity of 2000 lbs payload (not that I would do that), be aware that these bags do not add to your maximum payload, the only reason I use them is to eliminate the sag, also do not expect the airbags to replace the weight distribution hitch, you will have to purchase it. I see so many people travel with the truck and trailer with so much sag, with the truck and trailer far from level.

ram813ltd

Reaction score
i almost bought one but after weeks and weeks of research. i said i'm better off in hotels. no one makes a good travel trailer now, they're a lot of maintenance and rarely used. a lot said better off renting one at your destination instead of hauling long distance. no one holds manufacturers accountable for the crap they're pumping out in 2020 and 2021. look up the best rated and then the worst rated...it basically the same list lol. i can stay in a lot of nice hotels and great vacations for the price of an average fiberboard and tin can

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i almost bought one but after weeks and weeks of research. i said i'm better off in hotels. no one makes a good travel trailer now, they're a lot of maintenance and rarely used. a lot said better off renting one at your destination instead of hauling long distance. no one holds manufacturers accountable for the crap they're pumping out in 2020 and 2021. look up the best rated and then the worst rated...it basically the same list lol. i can stay in a lot of nice hotels and great vacations for the price of an average fiberboard and tin can
Whatever works for you, but you’re kinda missing the point...
Rarely are the fun things in life, the most economical.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
i almost bought one but after weeks and weeks of research. i said i'm better off in hotels.

Shoot me now. The point of a trailer is getting out in nature, not parking your oversized rear in a noisy concrete city. You take the trailer to places where it's an hour+ away from the nearest city. The trailer itself is not a toy or a thing to own for the sake of owning, it's a tool that gets you to where you want to be.

Agreed with you though on the quality of them, they all appear to be built by drunk high schoolers on a budget. Again, it's just a tool. Pick up something used about 2 years and it's basically brand new at a very reduced cost.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are often built to be light. Light isn’t always sturdy and that gives a cheap appearance

We camp a lot. I want to upgrade from sleeping in a tent to a trailer. But still have my fires and pee behind the trees.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I have thought the same. When I go to Las Vegas, a room at Sam's Town is frequently cheaper than an RV space at the adjoining KOA. Then figure the difference in fuel economy -- the wife's car getting 32 vs an RV or a pickup & trailer getting 10 or less, and it's a no-brainer there.

But I've also camped in Death Valley. You don't have much choice in accommodations there, and they are not cheap. Likewise with the Grand Canyon. In either place, you're also going to pay a premium for food, because the concessionaire has a monopoly. And there's only one place to get a shower if you're camping. I've often fantasized about having a trailer in such situations. Enough so that I made sure my pickup had the tow package.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are often built to be light. Light isn’t always sturdy and that gives a cheap appearance

We camp a lot. I want to upgrade from sleeping in a tent to a trailer. But still have my fires and pee behind the trees.
This right here. Everyone wants massive campers that are half ton towable. To do that they need to be light and are made from flimsy materials. You can get the same camper made from much nicer materials but it will weigh twice as much.

OP will be fine towing that trailer for his use as long as he does it right. Camping in your own rig is much more fun than staying in hotels. Enjoy

Redfour5

Reaction score
You have a point. But...can you do this? At 50 bucks a night? And about half the nights were zero to 20 bucks. And I'm pretty handy on trailer fixes and cash flow is only 200 bucks a month... You do make good points and we also do what you do particularly in the winter. It's not for everyone. We put about Four Thousand miles and 30 nights this summer and its now in for the warranty work and two boxes of Stouffers lasagna is surprisingly tasty with a nice bottle of wine by the fire at about 20 bucks total expense... Let's not talk about the gas mileage towing vs not if you please... And you are correct on quality decline. We have been pulling a trailer for 17 years and this last one is not in the same category as previous ones for quality...

Attachments

• 20210816_115208.jpg
    20210816_115208.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have a point. But...can you do this? At 50 bucks a night? And about half the nights were zero to 20 bucks. And I'm pretty handy on trailer fixes and cash flow is only 200 bucks a month... You do make good points and we also do what you do particularly in the winter. It's not for everyone. We put about Four Thousand miles and 30 nights this summer and its now in for the warranty work and two boxes of Stouffers lasagna is surprisingly tasty with a nice bottle of wine by the fire at about 20 bucks total expense... Let's not talk about the gas mileage towing vs not if you please... And you are correct on quality decline. We have been pulling a trailer for 17 years and this last one is not in the same category as previous ones for quality...
Hey, what's your setup here? Like what trailer is that, and what are your numbers?

NRitland2

Reaction score
Amen! We just upgraded from a 20’ rPod to a 29’ bullet. We tent camped but the Dec before covid we bought and have absolutely loved the experiences and places we have gone.

Seadoorxpguy

Reaction score
Spend the money once. Buy a hensley or a propride hitch and you wont even know its back there

Redfour5

Reaction score
Hey, what's your setup here? Like what trailer is that, and what are your numbers?
That's a 27 foot 4 inch Aspen Trail 2340Bhswe. It runs 5500 dry. I'm right at 6700 lbs loaded and 800 loaded tongue weight. I have a 3.21 rear end 1300 payload and 8K total. It does great. I would prefer a 3.92 rear end having had one, but this does just fine as the tranny compensates fine for the rear end. I am at what I consider the upper end of it's "comfortable" limits.

Users who are viewing this thread