5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Wheel and Tire for a Five Tire Rotation

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't think our trucks can handle a 5th tpms. The screen only show 4 and mine picked up the flat in the bed of the truck.
Mine only picked up in the bed of my truck sometimes others it went away.
They are near range sensors so it's possible that a stronger signal would register itself.

My fathers XJ8 only shows 4 sensors, but when a tire is changed it tells which one it is automatically.
Either way you can relearn the sensor in under 30 seconds with the tool (about 30 bucks on Amazon).

I don't think a 5 wheel rotation would make sense but if you wanted to, you could.

Booch

Reaction score
I have a stock Rebel wheel/tire in as my spare, and the TPMS does not pick up it up. I'm using it, because on the Rebels, the spare is actually a smaller diameter than the wheels, and with larger tires the stock spare became useless.

I will say, it gets quite dirty hanging under there, real quick. I'm not sure I'd want to buy a 5th fancy wheel, with the intention of rotating it in, and hang it under the truck.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a stock Rebel wheel/tire in as my spare, and the TPMS does not pick up it up. I'm using it, because on the Rebels, the spare is actually a smaller diameter than the wheels, and with larger tires the stock spare became useless.

I will say, it gets quite dirty hanging under there, real quick. I'm not sure I'd want to buy a 5th fancy wheel, with the intention of rotating it in, and hang it under the truck.
I have never had a problem on any of my trucks the spare getting dirty.
Are you going off-roading or driving through large amounts of mud?
A simple solution is just putting a spare tire cover on it and then it will not get dirty at all. Less then $20

Or you can get something like this https://spareprotector.com/ if you go off roading and don't want it to get scraped or something.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have never had a problem on any of my trucks the spare getting dirty.
Are you going off-roading or driving through large amounts of mud?
A simple solution is just putting a spare tire cover on it and then it will not get dirty at all. Less then $20

Or you can get something like this https://spareprotector.com/ if you go off roading and don't want it to get scraped or something.
Spare tire protector won't help on a spare tire stores under the truck. If anything it will just collect more stuff and trap it against the wheel/tire. Not everyone drives their truck as a mall crawler and doesn't get it dirty

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Spare tire protector won't help on a spare tire stores under the truck. If anything it will just collect more stuff and trap it against the wheel/tire. Not everyone drives their truck as a mall crawler and doesn't get it dirty
A mall crawler? Pickup trucks are used for storage and that's why the bed is large and open. My truck comes with all season tires not off-road tires, I didn't order a rebel with off-road equipment and planned on driving highways. I once transported 35 desktop computers and a few servers in the back of my pickup, but it didn't result in the truck getting ruined or covered in dirt. If you're saying that's the wrong use case then what would you say should be used to transport large amounts of expense equipment. Not everyone likes to play in the dirt, or even has an area in their state they can even go off-road on. I suppose I could of had 4 other employees fill up their sedans with equipment and waste money on paying them and gas.

This isn't a Jeep it's a pickup truck there are lots of use cases and not all of them involve being on a construction site filling up the bed with rock or dirt.

It's calling cleaning your truck, it's not hard to get a hose under a truck to spray or go to an undercarriage carwash, we need go to one after every storm in the north east to get salt and crap off. Wash it or watch it rust.

What is going to get on a tire that is stored like this???? I fail to see why a spare tire protector will not help, it will prevent anything from sitting on the top, just cut a hole for the thingy used to raise it. Obiously it's not going to be 100% spotless, but in my part of the country this is way more then is needed to keep the spare in perfect condition.
1652387727906.png

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A mall crawler? Pickup trucks are used for storage and that's why the bed is large and open. My truck comes with all season tires not off-road tires, I didn't order a rebel with off-road equipment and planned on driving highways. I once transported 35 desktop computers and a few servers in the back of my pickup, but it didn't result in the truck getting ruined or covered in dirt. If you're saying that's the wrong use case then what would you say should be used to transport large amounts of expense equipment. Not everyone likes to play in the dirt, or even has an area in their state they can even go off-road on. I suppose I could of had 4 other employees fill up their sedans with equipment and waste money on paying them and gas.

This isn't a Jeep it's a pickup truck there are lots of use cases and not all of them involve being on a construction site filling up the bed with rock or dirt.

It's calling cleaning your truck, it's not hard to get a hose under a truck to spray or go to an undercarriage carwash, we need go to one after every storm in the north east to get salt and crap off. Wash it or watch it rust.

What is going to get on a tire that is stored like this???? I fail to see why a spare tire protector will not help, it will prevent anything from sitting on the top, just cut a hole for the thingy used to raise it. Obiously it's not going to be 100% spotless, but in my part of the country this is way more then is needed to keep the spare in perfect condition.
View attachment 129308
The top of the wheel/tire isn't flush against the bottom of the bed. Dirt can get on top and through to center of wheel. At that point the fancy spare tire cover you pictured, or even the vinyl ones just amount to a dirt trap. You act like driving on gravel roads, or leaving the pavement for any reason is abuse. And since you live in an area where roads are saltedz that stuff will get up in the same area and the spare tire cover will just hold it there. An undercarriage wash won't get it, especially with the cover you have pictures that would just prevent the clean water from getting between the spokes. Only way to truly get it clean and get everything off is to lower it down and wash the wheels then spray the bottom of the bed where it was mounted.

Users who are viewing this thread