5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/T tires

Ram matt

Reaction score
Best all season A/T tire ? Not too loud but yet good in rain and light snow

Gitter

Reaction score
The Toyos can be hard to find (I guess cause they are so new)?

I ended up getting the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT. Reviews said they were generally quieter than the Bottom Ridge Grapplers but with great traction like the Toyos. Glad I got em cause they are impressive and they are surprisingly as quiet as the stock Duelers.

I have yet to try them in any snow tho.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve been pretty happy with my Goodyear Wrangler A/Ts. Quiet, awesome MPGs, great Wet traction. Still waiting on our first snow to try them out in that.

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
I’ve been pretty happy with my Goodyear Wrangler A/Ts. Quiet, awesome MPGs, great Wet traction. Still waiting on our first snow to try them out in that.
Those tires are OK when new but as soon as I got some mileage on them, and the temp dropped to sub 10 degrees Celsius and wet? BRUTAL. Could not leave a light or stop sign without spinning the back tires.

That said, I bought some Cooper Discoverer M+S and haven't looked back that I sawp on during the winter. Granted, I live in Canada so....

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nitto makes the most over-rated A/T tires on the market. Never before have I seen and heard such mixed reviews on a tire. Even on their own website the reviews are about 3 stars.

Sadly, Toyo is the parent company of Nitto and the Toyo ATIII is the second most over-rated tire on the market. It's over-priced, it's milder than the ATII it replaced, it's ugly, the sidewalls are plain, and the rubber compound results in mixed reviews for rain and snow.

Clearly there are a lot of guys here who like to ride band wagons. ;)

If you truly want a GREAT all-terrain tire, you're going to need to look at the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W, Yokohama Geolandar X-AT, BF Goodrich KO2, etc.

The Falken is the best tire I've ever had on a truck, but I'm about to give the Yokohama a whirl because it's one of the few brands I've never done a long-term review on yet.

Brands that haven't performed well for me in snow/rain: Cooper, Goodforayear, Nitto.

Brands that deserve honorable mention for being really good but not quite as great as the Falken: Firestone, Hankook, BFG.

Edit: It looks like Nitto has completely restyled their website, and they must have done some house cleaning on reviews because now their tires are miraculously showing 4 stars instead of 3. Hmm...

Last edited:

nburd

Reaction score
I got the OEM 20” wild peaks for 3 seasons as well as the 18” Falken Rubitrek ATs for winter. So far I am very impressed with the Rubitreks and the price was incredible. Reviews are great as well. Very quiet, nice ride and the first snow they gripped well. They are snow rated (snowflake symbol). Also in the 275 18”s they were $110 each and a 600 treadwear. The only thing that disappoints is no white letters. 08832C8B-DBBB-4C5D-AABF-B81C1521CCF9.jpeg

Attachments

• CA0E5A1A-B6D4-4043-94DD-7FD64700B814.jpeg
    CA0E5A1A-B6D4-4043-94DD-7FD64700B814.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 9F37722E-7E89-4000-9C25-1D52E2F24FED.jpeg
    9F37722E-7E89-4000-9C25-1D52E2F24FED.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 84

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
What about the Goodyear Wranglers (standard on Rebel)?
View attachment 76070
I'll share my thought...every vehicle that I buy that has Goodyears on them get removed almost immediately...I HATE Goodyear tires and those that come on our trucks just don't perform well compared to all that's on the market. Again, just my opinion...

nburd

Reaction score
I'll share my thought...every vehicle that I buy that has Goodyears on them get removed almost immediately...I HATE Goodyear tires and those that come on our trucks just don't perform well compared to all that's on the market. Again, just my opinion...
I agree, I never got the advertised tread life, even treadwear or low noise after a few thousand miles with Goodyear’s. I have tried several on cars and trucks. What disappoints me most is the actual tread width Based on size. They use the same Narrow tread width on many Tire sizes/widths and give the section “Width” as only the “Tire bulge“, not maximizing the tread Width. Other Manufacturers do it as well.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those tires are OK when new but as soon as I got some mileage on them, and the temp dropped to sub 10 degrees Celsius and wet? BRUTAL. Could not leave a light or stop sign without spinning the back tires.

That said, I bought some Cooper Discoverer M+S and haven't looked back that I sawp on during the winter. Granted, I live in Canada so....

Well durn... I’ve only had them on for 7000 miles so far but they’ve been good. Keep in mind, I don’t have those crappy street SR-As that come as OEM on many trucks.. I have the Wrangler A/Ts with Kevlar. Guess I’ll have to wait and see how they hold up. I do plan on getting Falken Wildpeak AT3s or BF Goodrich KO2s when these wear out.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Best all season A/T tire ? Not too loud but yet good in rain and light snow
The Falken Wildpeak's that came on my Laramie w/ORG perform much better in snow, and have the 3PMSF rating. I'd also recommend BFG Ko2's. For anyone who has access to Les Schwab tires, their Open Range A/T tires were designed for the types of conditions you're asking about. All of these tires are 3PMSF rated.

From my research, the Toyo Tire Open Country A/T III are the best performers (although they don't look as cool as the Nitto Ridge Grappler IMO).
Second worst tires I ever owned, but then again I don't go off/road much anymore. I'm sure they work great off-road, but they don't wear well when used on the highway. I didn't have much trouble with them in the rain, but they do not perform well in snow. I know, A/T tires aren't snow tires, but snow is a fact of life for some of us.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nitto makes the most over-rated A/T tires on the market. Never before have I seen and heard such mixed reviews on a tire. Even on their own website the reviews are about 3 stars.

Sadly, Toyo is the parent company of Nitto and the Toyo ATIII is the second most over-rated tire on the market. It's over-priced, it's milder than the ATII it replaced, it's ugly, the sidewalls are plain, and the rubber compound results in mixed reviews for rain and snow.

Clearly there are a lot of guys here who like to ride band wagons. ;)

If you truly want a GREAT all-terrain tire, you're going to need to look at the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W, Yokohama Geolandar X-AT, BF Goodrich KO2, etc.

The Falken is the best tire I've ever had on a truck, but I'm about to give the Yokohama a whirl because it's one of the few brands I've never done a long-term review on yet.

Brands that haven't performed well for me in snow/rain: Cooper, Goodforayear, Nitto.

Brands that deserve honorable mention for being really good but not quite as great as the Falken: Firestone, Hankook, BFG.

Edit: It looks like Nitto has completely restyled their website, and they must have done some house cleaning on reviews because now their tires are miraculously showing 4 stars instead of 3. Hmm...
You say this, but your information is just as anecdotal as the rest of us. I had Terra Grapplers on my Titan for 65k miles and 5+ years. They really only started degrading towards the end, and I called it a day when I slipped in the rain on a hard brake. After 5 years of being outside I'd expect a tire to harden up and lose performance. The thing that keeps me from getting more Nitto's is I would want to get Ridge Grapplers, and the price is a little hard to swallow.

I only have 13k on my Duratracs right now, but so far I haven't had any issues on or off road. They have not been in snow as we don't see much of that here. You're never going to get a good all-season tire that performs better than "ok" in snow. If you want snow tires get snow tires.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Cooper Zeon LTZ is all I will use on my Land Rover. They perform well in dry, wet, snow, and off road. Think I’m averaging about 50K out of them, and this is my second set. Even near the end they perform well, even in our occasional blizzard.

Users who are viewing this thread