5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A new engine thread

MT755

Reaction score
Why is it so difficult to build a reliable engine? They engineer and test them to every extreme. Is it poor engineering, insufficient testing, poor manufacturing control or the bean counters? It's most likely all of the above. Next, if a company knows of an issue, why don't the fix it? Examples, the hemi tick, Hyundai 2.3L engine failures, 6.0 powerstroke failures, mds in the chevy 5.3, Rams 3.0 diesel engine failures, Ford's 3.5 oil leaks, Fords 3.5 cam fazors, and I can go on and on.
All of the companies have some great engines and bad engines. Is it just blind luck to build a good one?
I've watched the Hurricane test video and if this engine can take that abuse, maybe it will be a good one.
Please let's be polite and not turn into one of those, your an idiot threads. Please start your own thread if you insist on being one of those people.

Last edited:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your hear about a lot of engine issues with the internet, I've never had any engine issues with all the vehicles I've owned. I have a few friends that have had a couple, one has a Hyundi that just blew at 80,000 miles, a common problem with those junk cars.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine (Ret.)
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My money is on the bean counters.

I read Iron Fist, Lead Foot, a book about the development of the 03 Cobra, and it was O. John Coletti and a marketing guy, who's name I can't recall right now, that fought tooth and nail to get proper funding for what Ford wanted to accomplish with the Mustang. It was an awesome story as it was a rare occasion that the bean counters lost.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is this about engines, transmissions, or radiators?

Jedi9

Reaction score
Yes, bean counters, they outsource the engine components from different vendors, no one company is responsible for all the parts to be fitted together correctly. If I recall correctly there was a problem with the 2012 3.6 liter Pentastar heads. The problem was just the head on one side though, I think maybe the left head but I could be wrong. Turns out the left head was outsourced to one company to build and the right side head was outsourced to a different company lol. More recently problems with cam followers and rockers being made overseas. Everyone is afraid of even trying to run flat tappet cams anymore because of quality issues. Even Comp Cams a former reputable company, has had their reputation tarnished and have lost thousands of customers for good.

Oldphart

Reaction score
Agree with beancounters....(I'm a retired one) We have the same issue as the military only our lives generally don't depend on the fact that parts are sourced from the cheapest vendor.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have owned several cars and (knock on wood) never had any major engine issues.

I have owned two Chryelr 2.7's and according to the internet, those should have failed, never had issues with them. my 2002 Sebring ate a transmission at 120k replaced and kept the car till 130k, the engine still never used oil and ran great.

The point being, when looking on the internet, you will find that nobody ever posts about how great their cars are, the majority of posts are regarding issues(valid issues for sure) but the amount is very small in the big picture, but if all you can see if the negative, it will seem like everyone's engine, trans, car/truck etc is junk.

Jedi9

Reaction score
Possible some folks can accelerate issues. Case in point my 2014 Wrangler. TOB would rattle. Folks kept taking them to dealerships to replace under warranty, Some had 2 or 3 replaced, then tried aftermarket. Meanwhile the dealer mechanics have been in there messing with it and now the rear main seal is leaking, so back to the dealer to replace it. Then they complain its been at the stealership 3 months out of a year. The radiators were prone to seep slightly. Mine did also. Some had their radiators replaced multiple times then tried aftermarket. Meanwhile after tearing the front of the Jeep apart 2 or 3 times other issues start showing up, wiring problems, loose grounds, damaged wire loom assemblies.

My TOB rattled from day 1, clutch worked fine, rattle went away after 50k miles or so, quiet as a mouse now. My radiator seeped slightly, cheaply made plastic, o ring, and aluminum. I just topped off as needed. In 10 years went through 1 gallon of antifreeze. Car's been in the shop twice in 10 years, 1 air bag recall, one oil filter housing replacement. I do my best to keep the grease monkeys away.

2 different scenerios on 2 similar vehicles. The first guy will tell you the 3.6 Pentastar is the worst piece of crap he's ever had. I'll tell you its one of the most reliable motors I've had.

MT755

Reaction score
I have owned several cars and (knock on wood) never had any major engine issues.

I have owned two Chryelr 2.7's and according to the internet, those should have failed, never had issues with them. my 2002 Sebring ate a transmission at 120k replaced and kept the car till 130k, the engine still never used oil and ran great.

The point being, when looking on the internet, you will find that nobody ever posts about how great their cars are, the majority of posts are regarding issues(valid issues for sure) but the amount is very small in the big picture, but if all you can see if the negative, it will seem like everyone's engine, trans, car/truck etc is junk.
Agreed

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've owned 20 cars in my 50 years of life, about 10 new cars in the last 20 years. Quite a few I have had a long time. I haven't had a single major engine issue with any of them.

However, I think we may have more issues expanding beyond rarity due to the complexity of modern motors to meet both effinency and environmental requirements, as well as pushing the edge on power. Something has to give, and that is sometimes durability of these motors.

We also have to consider that manufacturers don't really want their vehicles to last too long, they want them to have a shelf life and a cost to fix ratio so high you rather buy a new vehicle.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think that most, if not all, modern vehicles are reasonably reliable. However, none of them are really 'built to last' any more. The parameters have changed, and modern vehicles are typically kept until the radios are obsolete.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Today's engines are extremely reliable. It's extremely rare to have an engine malfunction during a reasonable lifespan of an engine that spends its live at 2000 revolutions per minute or higher being driven by tiny explosions.

Off the top of my head I can remember owning 27 different vehicles in my lifetime and I'm sure I've forgotten half a dozen or so. Only 2 of them had engine issues and both were related a broken timing chain or belt. I broke a timing chain on a 70 Barracuda while racing it and the timing belt on my 91 Mazda Miata at about 260,000 miles that was way overdue recommended change intervals.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score

GMetal

Reaction score
Its all money. A corporation employs engineers and machinists to develop an engine within certain parameters. There's always a budget. Then after its designed they rely on various manufacturers to produce the parts. Some companies may build the parts out of spec or the design might have been wrong and then they make changes, hopefully. Typically how long does an engine need to last? Just the warranty maybe a little longer? You have to expect changes to happen in the first few years. I always avoid new vehicle designs for the first few years. Unlimited budgets would create stuff that lasts forever but where's the possibility to make money on that ?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Your hear about a lot of engine issues with the internet, I've never had any engine issues with all the vehicles I've owned. I have a few friends that have had a couple, one has a Hyundi that just blew at 80,000 miles, a common problem with those junk cars.
Yes, I agree here. I don't think that it is a problem to build a reliable engine at all. Ford built a few, 300, 260 and 240 straight six, 2.3l 4 banger, 4.6l V8. What? Cheby 350 is not reliable? Tell a few million hot rod enthusiasts. Toyota Celica, 900k Hispanics can't all be wrong.

What killed reliability in today's cars? The internet. This allows people a platform to whine, pee and moan about every little squeak on a platform that is heard around the world. The perception of reliability has changed. Now things get blown way out of proportion with things like "my sun visor flipped down and I almost died!". I mean without the internet, how are we supposed to realize that our vehicles are junk?

Irv Gordon didn't have internet when he bought his Volvo P1800S. He was probably never informed that one in a million of them had some specific problem so he didn't know they were all junk because of it. What happened to Irv and his Volvo? They are in the Guinness Book of World Records for the highest milage car. 3,250,257 miles.

Must have been those Blackstone oil reports Irv was getting. 😉

Don't worry, the "Baby 6" will be a great dependable motor. Until the internet says it isn't.

Last edited:

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I personally have never had any engine issues but my wife had a 14 Cherokee engine blow up right around 90K (they replaced under warranty), and 2 people I know at work have had their 2024s blow up. One is a Kia that had 12k on it and one is a Chevy that had 6k on it and literally fell apart on the road.

MT755

Reaction score
My 2014 Jeep gc 3.6 has 270,000 miles on it. The cam and lifters were replaced under the lifetime warranty. Original transmission too. The transmission has had a little jerk into 3rd for the last 20,000. We'll drive it till it's worth less than the repair.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread