5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A different type of CAI discussion...

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I've been considering 3 typed of CAI...
AFE
Volant
Mopar RAM air.
I want the Corsa (but doesn't fit with Etorque)
The Mopar has started to look wayyyy too expensive for what it is (even though I would love to have it).
Any one of these NEEDS to be a dry flow!!!
Anyone have experience with the Volant?
Or am I better off just removing the carbon filter and throwing in a AEM dry flow filter?

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Eventually I'll be going with the Varaam or the Mopar RAM air. I like the look and plan on putting a second battery in the spot the current air intake sits :D

I've taken off the carbon filter and put in a "high flow" filter and have seen about a 0.2-0.3 mpg increase over the last 3 fill ups. This is what I was told by a few friends I could expect using an aftermarket CAI (like the Volant) so it saved me a bunch of $$.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I've been considering 3 typed of CAI...
AFE
Volant
Mopar RAM air.
I want the Corsa (but doesn't fit with Etorque)
The Mopar has started to look wayyyy too expensive for what it is (even though I would love to have it).
Any one of these NEEDS to be a dry flow!!!
Anyone have experience with the Volant?
Or am I better off just removing the carbon filter and throwing in a AEM dry flow filter?

For me, i went with S&B because i like the look, they all will work the same, just go with the one you like, or removing the carbon filter and throwing in a AEM/K&N/Green dry flow filter also will do the same result.

popcenator

Reaction score
Vararam Air Grabber is the only aftermarket intake I'd go with. I have one and there's a very noticeable difference in acceleration with it on. I also have an AEM dryflow filter with the carbon filter removed for when I get service. There's still a noticeable difference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just ordered the Volant from realtrucks. They have a $50 rebate if you order it in the month of August and submit the rebate form before 9/15. So it’ll only cost me $250. Looking forward to getting it, and I’ll provide my thoughts if you’re still searching when I get it installed.

rebate link: https://static.thiecommerce.com/ass...0-rebate/c77c0a6c4840b60798e605268745f4ab.pdf
there's another thread on here that shows the Volant & Corsa intakes being identical... just that the corsa is more expensive due to their "branding". That Volant with the rebate is a great deal

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
there's another thread on here that shows the Volant & Corsa intakes being identical... just that the corsa is more expensive due to their "branding". That Volant with the rebate is a great deal
It's funny you mention that because I just found out that Volant and Corsa are actually owned and operated my the same patent company lol. It was in a review article written last year.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For me, i went with S&B because i like the look, they all will work the same, just go with the one you like, or removing the carbon filter and throwing in a AEM/K&N/Green dry flow filter also will do the same result.
That's what I'm thinking....way cheaper too. I could care less about the look since I don't drive around with my hood open lmao!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Vararam Air Grabber is the only aftermarket intake I'd go with. I have one and there's a very noticeable difference in acceleration with it on. I also have an AEM dryflow filter with the carbon filter removed for when I get service. There's still a noticeable difference.

The idea behind the Vararam is solid...however it would not work for me being in the desert...between it having an oiled filter and the intake portion being down at the bottom of the bumper...not a good idea during monsoon season with slight flooding lol. Definitely an oiled filter is a No-NO in the desert.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Eventually I'll be going with the Varaam or the Mopar RAM air. I like the look and plan on putting a second battery in the spot the current air intake sits :D

I've taken off the carbon filter and put in a "high flow" filter and have seen about a 0.2-0.3 mpg increase over the last 3 fill ups. This is what I was told by a few friends I could expect using an aftermarket CAI (like the Volant) so it saved me a bunch of $$.
I would love to get the Mopar RAM air...but decided it's just too much $$$ to spend on an intake.

popcenator

Reaction score
The idea behind the Vararam is solid...however it would not work for me being in the desert...between it having an oiled filter and the intake portion being down at the bottom of the bumper...not a good idea during monsoon season with slight flooding lol. Definitely an oiled filter is a No-NO in the desert.
Very good point.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well to anyone who cares...I'm trying out the drop in AFE dry flow filter with the carbon delete option. It's like $75. I first ordered an AEM filter and found that there was rubber over spray ALL over the filter portion of it. Forget AEM!!!...should've known since they're owned by K&N lol.

JackWaggon

Reaction score
Well to anyone who cares...I'm trying out the drop in AFE dry flow filter with the carbon delete option. It's like $75. I first ordered an AEM filter and found that there was rubber over spray ALL over the filter portion of it. Forget AEM!!!...should've known since they're owned by K&N lol.
How as the AFE filter been treating you? I am on the fence between AFE and Green.

JP-Limited

Reaction score
Just FYI, the Vararam doesn't have the intake portion down at the bottom of the bumper

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just received my AEM filter today...looks beautiful and the quality is high. Did this same filter on my 2019. They are $40 on Amazon. Here are a few pics. Some notes:

1. The OEM filter is highly restrictive
2. The thick, dense carbon filter is far more restrictive than most think, so between the OEM and carbon, it can't be easy for this truck to breathe
3. I simply cut the carbon out with a utility knife, cleaned up the edges and blew it out with an air compressor to remove all debris

I would bet money that this install, with the factory air box that is actually very unrestrictive, will rival that of a S&B or any other replacement air box. The OEM box and piping is actually very good. It may not look as "pretty" as a replacement like a S&B, but it will perform just the same.

$40 or $300 for the same result...you're choice :unsure:

RAM Filter 1.jpg RAM Filter 2.jpg RAM Filter 4.jpg RAM Filter 5.jpg RAM Filter 6.jpg RAM Filter 7.jpg RAM Filter 8.jpg RAM Filter 9.jpg

Last edited:

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Food for thought:
If all you want is a cold air intake, you already have that from the factory. Save your money for things that will make a difference.
If you're installing aftermarket "cold air intake" for increased mileage because it has a more free-flowing filter, how many miles will you have to drive for the pennies-per-tank in fuel savings to offset the cost of the unit? And how much fine particulate material is that "free-flowing" filter letting through into your engine, compared to the stock filter?

Steve

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just received my AEM filter today...looks beautiful and the quality is high. Did this same filter on my 2019. They are $40 on Amazon. Here are a few pics. Some notes:

1. The OEM filter is highly restrictive
2. The thick, dense carbon filter is far more restrictive than most think, so between the OEM and carbon, it can't be easy for this truck to breathe
3. I simply cut the carbon out with a utility knife, cleaned up the edges and blew it out with an air compressor to remove all debris

I would bet money that this install, with the factory air box that is actually very unrestrictive, will rival that of a S&B or any other replacement air box. The OEM box and piping is actually very good. It may not look as "pretty" as a replacement like a S&B, but it will perform just the same.

$40 or $300 for the same result...you're choice :unsure:

View attachment 79965 View attachment 79966 View attachment 79968 View attachment 79969 View attachment 79970 View attachment 79971 View attachment 79976 View attachment 79977
If I had not gone with the Mopar Ram Airflow. :cool:

This would have been the route that I would have taken. (y)

Users who are viewing this thread