5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Different Exhaust Muffler Question than most

Craig777

Reaction score
Ok this is another exhaust recommendation request, but different than others I have seen.

I have a 2019 5th gen Laramie 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab

I installed a 24” Magnaflow muffler and after approximately 200 miles it’s mellowed some but too annoying for my taste at higher throttle positions and low rpms.

Does anyone know of a muffler that is as quiet or quieter than stock that is still free flowing?
Or what can be added to achieve the same thing?

The resonators are still in place.

Thanks!

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok this is another exhaust recommendation request, but different than others I have seen.

I installed a 24” Magnaflow muffler and after approximately 200 miles it’s mellowed some but too annoying for my taste at higher throttle positions and low rpms.

Does anyone know of a muffler that is as quiet or quieter than stock that is still free flowing?

Thanks!

Hmm.
When I got the magnaflow full system (IIRC it's their 22in muffler when I measured it) on my truck, I actually thought it was too quiet.
After 2 and a half years it's finally sounding right to my ears!

From what I can tell? I honestly do think the big magnaflow mufflers ARE the quietest game in town for a straight-through muffler design.
If it's straight through, the way to try to take more sound off is to make it longer and add more packing right?
That's technically what the 22in magnaflow muffler already is.
I mean theoretically to make it better, you'd have to like, daisychain 2x 22in mufflers by welding them together, to maintain being straight through but add more sound deadening.

If you're thinking "I'd even try crazy", Borla makes some sort of resonator to take the edge off their exhaust systems. I think it's installed before the muffler? I'd talk to an exhaust shop, and then try adding it.

If that's still too loud, the barely audible stock "Trash-can" exhaust is probably the only other option :confused:

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So you want a quiet muffler. The stock exhaust is what you want. The only thing you get with a non-factory exhaust is noise. You won't see any performance or MPG gains. Not without other upgrades like headers and other things. Don't believe the hype, it's BS.

Derek Dredger

Reaction score
I have 19 REBEL and installed the Borla Atak. I loved the sound but at cruising speeds (1700-2000rpm) was just plain annoying. I then installed a Borla (universal) resonator in front of the muffler. It quietened it down by say 10% but was still too loud whilst cruising. I then installed a much bigger (straight through) resonator. Still 3 inch inlet/outlet but was 17 inches long and 7 inches in diameter (the Borla resonator was 14 inches long and 4 inches diameter). This made a big difference!! It is almost as quiet as stock whilst cruising but rumbles beautifully at low speeds and acceleration. Still howls when you get on it/WOT! I also installed a COI; afe power Momentum GT. This has made it alittle louder but only slightly. On my 19 REBEL it has definitely improved acceleration, torque and mpg too....and that's with 34 inch tires (10lbs heavier than stock at each corner) and method 305s wheels which I think are 5lbs heavier than the stock REBEL wheels.

Anyways, hope this helps. Getting the exhaust sound you want is a bit tricky as each to their own preferences. However, my setup works great; growls away at low rpms/speeds but silent on the highway.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So you want a quiet muffler. The stock exhaust is what you want. The only thing you get with a non-factory exhaust is noise. You won't see any performance or MPG gains. Not without other upgrades like headers and other things. Don't believe the hype, it's BS.
THIS^^^ Just leave it stock and call it a day!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Thanks!
Hang on to it. It will mellow even more after a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread