5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Comprehensive Guide to Towing with the 2019 RAM 1500 - Everything You Need to Know!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The max tow rating is with a 300 load 70 pound hitch and 10% tongue weight. So unless you drive that truck by yourself and have a cargo trailer you can load to 10% your max tow rating is bogus...Everytime.

Those numbers don't apply to my truck. The max tow number on my truck would be 8668 (13900 - 5232). At 13% tongue weight, that would be 1127 lbs. With payload of 1868, I could EASILY tow that weight since I would have 741 lb of payload left for passengers, etc.
Hahaha....sure enough....the one unicorn...a 3.21 truck with probably the best payload ever seen...hahaha.

You win, you win. Good stuff.

As far as a prize...you get the same one as the guy with the lowest payload. Something to talk about!

I guess the confusion of what I am trying to say does not matter now...hahaha

This is what I was trying to explain in my other post...but now it all crumbles down...hahaha

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
O
2022 Big Horn Quad 4x4.
Ok. Interesting stuff. Years prior, 1840 pounds was the payload king, which is why I had to question a 1868 lb payload.

I have not looked at the 2022 or 2023 payload numbers. And now I did and I got questions.

What is it that gives the 22 trucks the 1940 payload number???????? Screenshot_20230326-220816.png

This is new news to me. How did I miss this.

And the 2wd V6 is now up to 2300, but that is easy...they gave it the same 7100 GVWR as the 4x4 instead of the usual 6900 of the 2wd. Screenshot_20230326-221315.png

Or are these Amazon numbers just bogus.

Come on Internet heroes...we need answers...well I do...haha

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With these new payload numbers, I may have to look back into the probability of a 1500 having a place in my driveway....hahaha

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you still pulling that massive sandpiper, 9000 pounds? If so, I'm quite certain you're well past your payload. 9000 pounds at 15% pin weight = 1350 pounds on the bed, add another 50 to 100 for the hitch. You haven't even sat in your truck, add 200 pounds for you, another 200 for your wife (guessing here of course I have no idea if you have a wife but you get the idea).

A more realistic pin weight is 20%, so 1800 pounds before the hitch and passengers and cargo.

Only reason I remember your setup is because how massively overloaded you appear to be and how nonchalant you are about the situation :p
I love the word "probably" . Fits well when one has no idea of reality. Of cores, you could be probably wrong
Ok. Since others say tow ratings do not change. Let's not talk about tow ratings. Let's look at numbers.

So now that we got some information, we can do that.

But, one more question. What is the GVWR of this 5th wheel? I am guessing the numbers you shared are base weights. You will be much closer to GVWR loaded to camp. Unless you magically can do it without taking any batteries, propane, water, food, clothes and gear.

And this increases your Pin weight, which is already at base using almost all your available weight.
Unless of course you load tail heavy. Then you can be JUST below max on load, and still good at gross. But then, all speculation aside, get what you want and scale it. Then and only then will you know where you are at in REAL numbers.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
O

Ok. Interesting stuff. Years prior, 1840 pounds was the payload king, which is why I had to question a 1868 lb payload.

I have not looked at the 2022 or 2023 payload numbers. And now I did and I got questions.

What is it that gives the 22 trucks the 1940 payload number???????? View attachment 155399

This is new news to me. How did I miss this.

And the 2wd V6 is now up to 2300, but that is easy...they gave it the same 7100 GVWR as the 4x4 instead of the usual 6900 of the 2wd. View attachment 155400

Or are these Amazon numbers just bogus.

Come on Internet heroes...we need answers...well I do...haha
That is a ZERO option truck. Can't even take the wife along.🤔

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I love the word "probably" . Fits well when one has no idea of reality. Of cores, you could be probably wrong

Honestly I'm not here to give you a hard time. But you're telling me I'm wrong, without posting pictures of a scale (or even the manufacturer specs on the trailer) showing I'm wrong. The facts as I see them (9000 lb 5w) kinda point in the direction that you're way over 1400 pounds of payload.

Users who are viewing this thread