5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C performance during this heat wave

rrbhokies

Reaction score
3.) I'm going to start the engine via Uconnect and let it run for approximately 10 minutes prior to getting in the Truck.
I hope these steps will help with the A/C cooling issue I'm having.
And watch your average drop another 2-3 mpg while it sits and burns gas :cool:

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If only the guys and gals that say their AC works good would post actual temps it would become more clear whether some trucks have proper functioning AC’s or they are just physiologically more comfortable at warmer temps than others.

EXQQQME

Reaction score
For the next few days, the ambient daytime temp. is going to be around 100 F. I've tried somethings that will hopefully improve the time it takes the cabin to cool.
1.) I bought a heavy duty sunshade for my windshield from Auto Zone. (Haven't used one of those since the late 1990's).
2.) Prior to shutting down the engine, I put the A/C on LO with it in the re-circ mode. I have the 8.4" Uconnect screen in auto comfort mode whenever the engine is started. For some reason, only the cooled seats will come on but not the HVAC system, unless the HVAC system was left on when I last shut off the engine.
3.) I'm going to start the engine via Uconnect and let it run for approximately 10 minutes prior to getting in the Truck.

Can you explain to me how you start it by Uconnect? I have remote start but is there a way I can also start it while deep inside the building at work without having to get in range of the fob?? Thanks

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep it was hot. My ac has no issues. You can’t expect the ac to cool that huge cab in minutes. Today mine cooled off before I got two miles down the road. Like an idiot I grabbed my sunglasses from the top dashboard cubby. Damn near burned my ears off when I put them on

Or in your exact words, "F**K! Hothothhot" right?
That's super hot man,

EXQQQME

Reaction score
If only the guys and gals that say their AC works good would post actual temps it would become more clear whether some trucks have proper functioning AC’s or they are just physiologically more comfortable at warmer temps than others.
I just traded my 2016 Colorado for a 2019 Bighorn w/Etorque. I have test drivin 3 2019 Dodge rams and none of the rams out out as much cool air as my Chevy Colorado, bummer!! I also test drive 4 or so Chevy Silverados and they had a much better AC. Sooo, some may say that the color makes a difference. It sure does, however my Colorado is the "same" dark blue as my new Ram. I've been in both alot lately as the dealership is getting my options all installed as the get shipped in. So I can realistically say that between the Chevy & the Dodge, Chevy has a far more noticeable, better cooling ac systems than the dodge rams. Furthermore I've been seeing on other forums where people are a bit disappointed with the lacking ac in vehicles with large motors.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s where I wrote about our numbers, which (I believe) are on par with what others are seeing. Other members have tended to agree that it’s a flow volume / blend door issue, not necessarily a temperature issue, as some of us are quite comfortable. And to be clear, I live in Texas but like it cold. I’ve posted in yet other threads that this Ram cools more efficiently than my wife’s Audi.

Fidomac

Reaction score
For the next few days, the ambient daytime temp. is going to be around 100 F. I've tried somethings that will hopefully improve the time it takes the cabin to cool.
1.) I bought a heavy duty sunshade for my windshield from Auto Zone. (Haven't used one of those since the late 1990's).
2.) Prior to shutting down the engine, I put the A/C on LO with it in the re-circ mode. I have the 8.4" Uconnect screen in auto comfort mode whenever the engine is started. For some reason, only the cooled seats will come on but not the HVAC system, unless the HVAC system was left on when I last shut off the engine.
There is a TSB regarding AC performance..

R

Rob5589

There seems to be two ways people are looking at the issue; those that are obsessed by the temperature number; and those that use their comfort to decide. I have no way to measure or I would.

That said, was 99 here today and I was totally comfortable inside. What seemed to really speed up cooling after soaking in the sun was cracking the rear windows an inch or so and opening the rear slider. Sucked the hot air out quickly and noticeably cooled the cab faster.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Here in the NC sauna the 2007 F150 I just got rid of to get my Ram makes the AC in the Ram feel like a fan - not AC. I never had the F150 AC worked on, recharged or ANYTHING.
I'm usually at my destination in the Ram before I get comfortable.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
And watch your average drop another 2-3 mpg while it sits and burns gas :cool:
I don't believe the drop in MPG is that dramatic. It really depends on weather you can make the MPG loss up by driving for a while at highway speeds. That being said, that's the price you pay if you want a comfortable cabin. I also auto start my vehicles when it's below freezing.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
I don't feel the need to go out and buy a thermometer to measure the temps coming out the vents. To me (And my passengers) it's more about how we feel.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
Can you explain to me how you start it by Uconnect? I have remote start but is there a way I can also start it while deep inside the building at work without having to get in range of the fob?? Thanks
You'll need to download the App from the play store App on your smart phone and install it. Once you do that, you need to register your information. It's all pretty self explanatory. You can also go to www.mopar.com to register. From both the App on your phone and from Mopar's web site, you can lock & unlock your truck, set off your panic alarm, locate your vehicle and get vehicle health reports. I believe with new Rams you get the Uconnect service free for the first 5 years. After that, you'll need to pay for a subscription. I highly recommend at least registering for Uconnect. It really comes in handy sometimes.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
Ironically, I can't auto start my truck today. On the way in to work, my low fuel light came on and I didn't have the time to stop at the Gas Station. My truck is a real Drama Queen when it comes to the low fuel light. The needle on the fuel gauge isn't even touching the 1/4 mark when it comes on. When the low fuel light is on, your truck will auto start for 5 seconds then shut off. My Jeep Grand Cherokee did the same thing.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
I just traded my 2016 Colorado for a 2019 Bighorn w/Etorque. I have test drivin 3 2019 Dodge rams and none of the rams out out as much cool air as my Chevy Colorado, bummer!! I also test drive 4 or so Chevy Silverados and they had a much better AC. Sooo, some may say that the color makes a difference. It sure does, however my Colorado is the "same" dark blue as my new Ram. I've been in both alot lately as the dealership is getting my options all installed as the get shipped in. So I can realistically say that between the Chevy & the Dodge, Chevy has a far more noticeable, better cooling ac systems than the dodge rams. Furthermore I've been seeing on other forums where people are a bit disappointed with the lacking ac in vehicles with large motors.
A couple days ago, I took my 2013 Ford Mustang GT to work. The Ambient temp was around 92 degrees. It has an all black leather interior that gets hot as hell. In fact, I ended up tinting all the windows with the exception of the windshield. It still gets hot in there but not as crazy hot as before (I have the stainless steal shifter knob and I literally couldn't grab it until the A/C was running for at least 5 minutes. It was that hot..)
Since it has a manual transmission, It does't come with the ability to auto start.
As far as A/C performance, It takes almost as long to start cooling as my Ram does now.

Last edited:

Hackmunch

Reaction score
you guys do realize that using the AUTO feature the blower motor goes to speed 8 as soon as you start the truck. on manual mode the max is blower speed 7

Tundralag

Reaction score
Or in your exact words, "F**K! Hothothhot" right?
That's super hot man,
I said lots of those words before I could get them off my face... Had to hold them in front of the vent for a couple of minutes before I could put them back on..
I would like to tell you that I am a smart man and that was the first time I have done that... Wrong... at least a couple of times during the summer heat I have done that.. Oh well I can just use the " I am old card now.".

rrbhokies

Reaction score
You'll need to download the App from the play store App on your smart phone and install it. Once you do that, you need to register your information. It's all pretty self explanatory. You can also go to www.mopar.com to register. From both the App on your phone and from Mopar's web site, you can lock & unlock your truck, set off your panic alarm, locate your vehicle and get vehicle health reports. I believe with new Rams you get the Uconnect service free for the first 5 years. After that, you'll need to pay for a subscription. I highly recommend at least registering for Uconnect. It really comes in handy sometimes.
I believe the lock/unlock and remote start from the app are only free for 1 year. There are some safety stuff like the SOS service, etc. that's 5 years, but all the good stuff expires after the 1st year, and if I recall, it's quite expensive (almost $300/yr.) to continue the service.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Used the uconnect app yesterday and hit the remote start option and had the "wait 30 seconds or more" message. Got to the truck 10 minutes later and the engine never started and the cabin was hot as h%ll. That app is so hit and miss. I'm definitely not going to waste a dime on it once my free trial ends.

Users who are viewing this thread