5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C is on, even when it's off.

fxdrider

Reaction score
Not sure why this is, or if I'm the only one experiencing this, but even when I set Auto (climate control) to off and AC to off, it still blows cold A/C air from the vents.
The only way I seem to be able to turn the A/C off is to press the Off button, which shuts down the climate control system entirely. Furthering the weird - this is intermittant. Sometimes the system works the way one would expect - turning the A/C off turns the A/C off and then outside air comes in and can be mixed with heated air by adjusting the temperature.
Just a hunch, but I'm thinking it's a Uconnect issue. Anyone else notice this?

GARebel19

Reaction score
So my 19 has done exactly what you described since new. When I'm driving with just the vent on there are times the compressor will kick on and start blowing cold air but the controls for a/c and auto are still off. The compressor will eventually turn off on its own and go back to vent only. No idea why this happens but you arent the only one experiencing this.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There is a humidity sensor in our trucks that will turn the air on if the humidity gets too high . The only way to turn it off is to turn the whole system off . It was the same with my 4th gen also .

fxdrider

Reaction score
There is a humidity sensor in our trucks that will turn the air on if the humidity gets too high . The only way to turn it off is to turn the whole system off . It was the same with my 4th gen also .
Interesting. Well, that would certainly explain it. It's like the 'Auto' mode can never really be fully turned off, unless you turn off the entire system.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's just trying to keep the windows from fogging up and causing visibility issues.

Mudstone

Reaction score
^^^ This ^^^
I inquired about this 'sort' of thing early on and this is what I understand:
The RAM does not let any air through the vents when the climate system is OFF. I have generally confirmed this, first vehicle I've had that does this, which I'm OK with, no stinky car exhaust coming in.
That may help your understanding of what's happening?

fxdrider

Reaction score
It's just trying to keep the windows from fogging up and causing visibility issues.
I inquired about this 'sort' of thing early on and this is what I understand:
The RAM does not let any air through the vents when the climate system is OFF. I have generally confirmed this, first vehicle I've had that does this, which I'm OK with, no stinky car exhaust coming in.
That may help your understanding of what's happening?
I understand. And these things are good, don't get me wrong. However, I drive with the windows open sometimes, and to have the A/C come on while the windows are open really doesn't do anything positive. Just blows cold air that goes right out the windows. I guess that's where I'd just turn the system 'off'. None of it's bad - just different.

Mudstone

Reaction score
I drive with the windows open ALL the time, never use AC (do live in Canada though) even hot days! In the winter, use heat sparingly and only once the traffic is cleared to not drive exhaust into the cab. Drives the Wife crazy!

GARebel19

Reaction score
Old thread I know but does anyone know how one could disable this feature? I think I can handle turning on the defrost myself.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Old thread I know but does anyone know how one could disable this feature? I think I can handle turning on the defrost myself.
I don’t think there is a way, maybe you could trick the trucks humidity sensor into thinking it’s always dry or something like that.

I inquired about this at my dealer as vent temps are very inconsistent when the ac compressor cycles on and off while the cabin temp is set warmer than the outside temp and was told it is normal as the truck is keeping the humidity down.

Users who are viewing this thread