5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

980 pounds in bed...like it wasn't even there

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just came back from a tile store, about 45 minutes away. (My wife has advised me that we need to "refresh" our house. I blame HGTV.)

I loaded 980 pounds of tile into the bed. I could barely even tell that the truck had a heavy load in it. There was just a hair of a delay coming off red lights and just a bit more inertia in turns. I think I only noticed it because I was looking for it. Had I jumped in and not known the tiles were in back, I don't think I would've noticed.

Just and amazing piece of kit.

PS: Anyone have a favorite tile wet saw? ;)
(These are 24" x 48" shower tiles. The shower floor and bathroom floor tiles are yet to be purchased. Sigh.)

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just came back from a tile store, about 45 minutes away. (My wife has advised me that we need to "refresh" our house. I blame HGTV.)

I loaded 980 pounds of tile into the bed. I could barely even tell that the truck had a heavy load in it. There was just a hair of a delay coming off red lights and just a bit more inertia in turns. I think I only noticed it because I was looking for it. Had I jumped in and not known the tiles were in back, I don't think I would've noticed.

Just and amazing piece of kit.

PS: Anyone have a favorite tile wet saw? ;)
(These are 24" x 48" shower tiles. The shower floor and bathroom floor tiles are yet to be purchased. Sigh.)
I knew 3.21 gears could do it! 👏🏻

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do not fall for the cheap-o tile saw at the big box stores!!

I did, thinking for the same price of a rental I could own one for multiple projects.

No, shortly into the project I was cursing that hunk of junk and wishing I had rented a good one.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I recently had to do some towing and hauling and realized how little payload these trucks actually have.

When I estimated the weight of myself and my 4 passengers, we were right around 1,000 lbs sitting in the cab. That only left about 550 lbs of capacity, which is like two big guys sitting in the bed.

I know these pick-ups aren't dump trucks, but 1,550 payload for a typical modern crewcab doesn't leave much weight when you add up 5 passengers in the cab.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I recently had to do some towing and hauling and realized how little payload these trucks actually have.

When I estimated the weight of myself and my 4 passengers, we were right around 1,000 lbs sitting in the cab. That only left about 550 lbs of capacity, which is like two big guys sitting in the bed.

I know these pick-ups aren't dump trucks, but 1,550 payload for a typical modern crewcab doesn't leave much weight when you add up 5 passengers in the cab.

It's actually pretty impressive, IMO. My truck can haul 4 average sized men, 2 dirt bikes in the bed, and two more on my trailer, plus gear. Not bad for a half ton truck, especially one that can do it comfortably.

Dewey

Reaction score
I once hauled 1600 lbs of drywall in the bed of my last truck. Wouldn’t recommend it. She squatted real good and was bottomed out on the stops. Still shocked I didn’t break anything.😲

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It's actually pretty impressive, IMO. My truck can haul 4 average sized men, 2 dirt bikes in the bed, and two more on my trailer, plus gear. Not bad for a half ton truck, especially one that can do it comfortably.

In that example that sounds good, but in my example I have myself and 4 passengers in the cab and stuck two Philly fans in the bed and I'm maxed out!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
7 people in one truck is pretty impressive to me.

Really? Going to lunch at work usually involves me in the driver's seat, a front passenger and 3 in the back seat. Which can be accomplished my most small sedans, which I did often in the past in my VW Jetta. I would think a rather large full size crew cab truck would be no sweat.

The only difference is I stick 2 more people in the bed, and then we are at my payload limit. I mean to me, not exactly impressive.

Don't get me wrong, I understand payload has to do with the fact this modern large trucks are heavy, all the amenities and equipment eat away on the payload capacity. The ride quality is associated with how much payload I have. I just think barely having a few hundred pounds above the payload of a small sedan isn't impressive. Many small to mid sedans are right at 1,000 - 1,200 lbs. That means my RAM has only about 350 lbs more capacity than a VW Jetta. I don't think you will find RAM running a commercial high lighting that fact.

Last edited:

drydocked

Reaction score
Last fall I picked up 420 sq ft of tiling at a store over an hour away. I didn't realize how heavy it was until later when I was unloading and I saw that each 15 sq ft box weighed 49.5 lbs. With the tile, myself and my wife we had over 1750 lbs in the truck. Plus a fiberglass topper that has to weigh 200 lbs or more. The truck squatted some but not too extreme and handled it well. I did have the back tires aired up to the max before the trip and allowed plenty of stopping distance on the way home.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's funny how conscientious we all are when we have a non-human payload. It's easy to forget you can add 500 lbs easy with just a few passengers.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's funny how conscientious we all are when we have a non-human payload. It's easy to forget you can add 500 lbs easy with just a few passengers.

550 after a trip to golden corral.

My dad would take us to the local buffet at 4PM when it was cheapest and yell out “strap on the feed bag, boys!“

Crazy Dane

Reaction score
The payload for one half ton trucks has actually increased from when I started driving. My first was a F100 Ford 4x4 with 1080lbs payload. Trucks have gotten heavier and the big change is the ability to put 5 grown adults in the cab. I know there were bigger cabs back then but they were the rarity not the norm.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put a 2300# pallet of slate and my 145# self in our old 1996 F-150 longbed several years back, before I really understood payloads. It squatted plenty; handled like a boat; and I had to plan my stops and turns well in advance. Heck, I'm not even sure I knew to inflate the rear tires beyond 35psi. I did at least have the sense to take back roads home.

We did have helper springs on the back, and I think the helper springs needed helper springs!

It goes without saying that I would not do that today.

Jako

Reaction score
I put a 2300# pallet of slate and my 145# self in our old 1996 F-150 longbed several years back, before I really understood payloads. It squatted plenty; handled like a boat; and I had to plan my stops and turns well in advance. Heck, I'm not even sure I knew to inflate the rear tires beyond 35psi. I did at least have the sense to take back roads home.

We did have helper springs on the back, and I think the helper springs needed helper springs!

It goes without saying that I would not do that today.
1978 Ford F-150 a yard of gravel plus (thought he was doing me a favor). Never squatted a truck like that. I was having a stroke but made the 5 mile trip.

Ditto on not doing it today.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had a pallet of tile in the back of my Tacoma 20 years ago. Bump stops weren't happy.

Favorite tile saw is the one that the contractor sets up and uses, because I'm never setting another tile. Lol

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
I came in here wanting to make a joke about gearing and you stole my thunder 😫
mY 3.92's CoUlD'vE DoNe IT bEttER! lol.
I think my heaviest haul was last year on a big ski trip. I rolled over a scale at 7400 pounds and the truck felt just fine to me. She was defintely riding a bit lower than normal. I pumped my tires up to 40 pounds for the trip. There were 5 husky gents (my ~220 pounds self included) food and beer for 4 days as well as ski gear and all our luggage in the bed. according to my trucks sticker that was 200 pounds over GVWR.

• Haha
Reactions: c3k

Users who are viewing this thread