5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

900 Watts of Power in the 2019 Ram 1500...

D

Deleted member103

Jared Balfour said:
https://youtu.be/hBWNFmNpXVU

From 3:37 mark on you can see the Alpine logo on the center channel speaker of the Ram Rebel I video'd at the Vancouver Auto Show.
AREN'T YOU A SWEETIE ! You did all that just for me ? Come here and get a big huggy-wuggy from louie !
263a.png
1f604.png
. . . well I just said (other post), it is funny Friday (the 13th) . . . But, can't explain the "Missing" Alpine link OnLine/RAM !?
Wow, fast turn around Jared . . . you didn't even give me a chance to get in an Edit . . . so here it is now, Your Video reminded me of how much (of 2 things) I miss my 2003 Sport & how much I WISH RAM WOULD BE HAVING the Sport-Option to be available ON THE V6's when they start rolling into showrooms . . . please RAM, we ARE worthy I promise !

CDrummond

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2019 sport with the 9 speaker + sub Alpine stereo and it is excellent and well balanced, highly recommend it.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As a "part-time audiophile", I find the whole "900 watts" thing quite funny, to be honest.

Most home audio speakers have a sensitivity of about 90 db. Which means, when you use 1 (yes, "one") watt of power, sitting 1 meter away from the speaker, the speaker will emit a sound at 90 db. Which is quite loud, some people break out hearing protection at that point. To raise the volume by 3 db (most people can barely detect a 1 db change) to 93 db, would require doubling the wattage (so now you're at 2 watts). Raising that again by 3 db requires a double again (4 watts).

So 99.999% of all music listening is done at < 10 watts of power. Only under very short and extremely loud bursts (like a gunshot or explosion in a bluray movie) would you need to have more than (say) 25 watts of power.

Don't fall for the marketing; the number of watts is completely and 100% meaningless. It's the quality of the watts that matters.

Since most car audio is "class d" (instead of class a/b), you're not getting very high quality music anyway. And most of these setups are designed to emphasize the treble and bass, at the expense of the midrange (vocals) because that is pleasing (but ironically "less accurate") to most people. Add in other variables like road and wind noise, you're better off skipping the whole idea of high quality audio in a car, saving your money, and putting that money into a home system that actually sounds good.

I mean, I turn up the volume on my radio half way and the distortion and ear fatigue is so obvious. Throw in a bluetooth audio source, I have to crank the volume to 75% or more for classical music that actually has some dynamic range, and it becomes unbearable to listen to. I don't know why they even bother putting radios in these things, may as well just give everybody a free pair of ear buds to plug into their smartphone and call it a day.

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
My understanding is that the "19 speakers" line is pure marketing ********. They count a coaxial speaker as 2 speakers. Hmmm.....
You are exactly correct they are lying through thier teeth with the 19 speaker system. Since when does a single 2 or 3 way speaker count as 2 or 3 individual speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread