5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

87 vs 89 octane.

JimD007

Reaction score
It is reasonable to try 89 octane and it might have advantages but in my other car, a normally aspirated BMW convertible with a 3 liter 6, I get better mileage with 87. Most people think I am anal but I write down the miles, gallons, and cost each fillup. I have over 100K miles on the convertible (one reason I now have a truck) and used 89 for about 50K miles of it. I get slightly better mpg out of 87. That makes some sense because the higher heat value of gasoline actually goes down with higher octane. The available energy in the fuel goes down. But if your engine has to retard timing to avoid pinging on the lower octane fuel your mpg can go the other way. So a trial is in order. But you need to be careful and record miles and gallons for several tanks both ways. I did over 10,000 miles with 87 before I was convinced the couple tenths of a mpg was real.

I really doubt your truck is pinging on gas it is recommended to be able to use. It isn't impossible, my old Suzuki SUV would do it on a hard pull especially when it was hot. But most cars run fine on the gas the manufacturer recommends for it - they should. And if they don't it seems like it is something the dealer needs to fix.

djjr50

Reaction score
Anyone using additives like Lucas? I tried to put some in the other day but the new style filler neck made it a real pain
Just added a bottle of the Lucas today and it was tough. I had to squeeze it hard to force the liquid in. Guess I shouldve pulled out the funnel they provided us.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone using additives like Lucas? I tried to put some in the other day but the new style filler neck made it a real pain
I'm using Amsoil Upper Cylinder Lubricant, it's designed to be used with capless systems...the easiest thing I found to do was to only peel half of the seal off and then stick it in and squeeze to get it all out.
Otherwise you loose some of it to the ground and it splashes all over before you push the door open.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
How long does the computer take to compensate for different octane between fillups.?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How long does the computer take to compensate for different octane between fillups.?
As Timeless said the computer is constantly compensating in real time. Depending on how much gas you get it could take two fill ups to fully wash out the previous octane. If you had a quarter tank of 87 and topped it off with 89 you would have something in the 88 range but I doubt that would be noticeable in the butt dyno

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the ecm adaptations are not reset it will take a tank or two. Aggressive go petal during that time will help speed up things.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't find 89 with no ethanol where I'm from, so I normally use 87 without ethanol. I add Bell Performance Mix-I-Go if I do the 89 with eth.

Users who are viewing this thread