5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

87 or 89 or 93 octane?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I run ethanol free 91 because Pulsar. when you can find 93 it has ethanol. And 91 is cheaper than 93

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I run ethanol free 91 because Pulsar. when you can find 93 it has ethanol. And 91 is cheaper than 93
Costco has 93 ethanol-free. That’s what I use (but my engine requires 91 minimum). Good thing I live in a place with cheap gas. $3.859/gal right now for the good stuff.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Costco has 93 ethanol-free. That’s what I use (but my engine requires 91 minimum). Good thing I live in a place with cheap gas. $3.859/gal right now for the good stuff.
I've probably filled up at at least 5 or 6 Costcos, and none of the ones I've used carried ethanol free. Only one that I know of even carries diesel.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use Sam's Club because it's closer. but don't buy gas for my truck there. Bad part about being in Nebraska is they push ethanol since we grow the corn and make a lot of the ethanol used of gas here. Ethanol free 91 isn't hard to find. Ethanol free 87, which I use for lawnmower and snowblower, is harder to find. All 93 is E-10, and all 89 is E10

6of36

Reaction score
I use Sam's Club because it's closer. but don't buy gas for my truck there. Bad part about being in Nebraska is they push ethanol since we grow the corn and make a lot of the ethanol used of gas here. Ethanol free 91 isn't hard to find. Ethanol free 87, which I use for lawnmower and snowblower, is harder to find. All 93 is E-10, and all 89 is E10
Ethanol free in Michigan is 89 or 90, depending on the station. I use it in all my small engines. I'm near water, so it's plentiful, but varies big time in price from one station to another.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ethanol free in Michigan is 89 or 90, depending on the station. I use it in all my small engines. I'm near water, so it's plentiful, but varies big time in price from one station to another.
When they first started using ethanol in fuel here it was in 89 only, and with all the subsidies, at the time, 89 was cheaper than 87. Which was cool because my Dakota R/T ran beat on 89 octane. so I got the added benefit of higher octane, and got to use the cheapest fuel option. Now that they use E10 for every octane level, there isn't the price break. But ethanol free 91 is the same price as E10 91. Just have to find the stations that carry ethanol free. Ethanol free 87 isn't much cheaper than 91. But E10 87 is cheapest

6of36

Reaction score
When they first started using ethanol in fuel here it was in 89 only, and with all the subsidies, at the time, 89 was cheaper than 87. Which was cool because my Dakota R/T ran beat on 89 octane. so I got the added benefit of higher octane, and got to use the cheapest fuel option. Now that they use E10 for every octane level, there isn't the price break. But ethanol free 91 is the same price as E10 91. Just have to find the stations that carry ethanol free. Ethanol free 87 isn't much cheaper than 91. But E10 87 is cheapest
Here the cheapest ethanol free 89 or 90, is about the same as e10 89. Some stations sell the ethanol free for $1 more than e10 87. Most stations here have 87, 89, or 93 for e10, no 91, unless you go to Sunoco.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've probably filled up at at least 5 or 6 Costcos, and none of the ones I've used carried ethanol free. Only one that I know of even carries diesel.
Probably because you live north of Kentucky and I live south of Kentucky. Corn doesn’t make it south of Louisville - it all gets hijacked and made into bourbon

Users who are viewing this thread