5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

87 or 89 or 93 octane?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Probably because you live north of Kentucky and I live south of Kentucky. Corn doesn’t make it south of Louisville - it all gets hijacked and made into bourbon
Michigan thumb sweet corn is too good to make into fuel. Every year, we wait for the harvest, because it is way better than the stuff they ship in the rest of the year.

Dewey

Reaction score
I always use 87. Same as I have for all my Hemi’s over the last 10 years.

Around here 89 is .65/gal more and I haven’t noticed enough difference to make it worth $20 more for a fill up.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I use 87 as the manual says is acceptable. It is stock and runs great on it. Probably thanks to the VVT design. I also run 88 octane E15. This is around $0.40 a gallon cheaper at Sheetz most of the time. Yea, yea, there is less power in alcohol, yadda, yadda. It's plenty of power for a pickup truck. If I want fast I have a sedan with a 6.4 burning up premium 93 with a tune and mods. My truck? It runs great on 87 or E15.

23RAM

Reaction score
What fuel grade do most of us run? 89???
Don't know the answer as I've never done a survey.
But I've run 89 for the first few tanks (it was filled with 89 by the dealer) and then switched to 87 after break-in to see if there was a difference, and there has been no apparent difference in idle, throttle response, or power output. I'm guessing 89 is only needed to attain the claimed max HP and torque ratings, and perhaps max fuel economy. But as the manual says, 87 is acceptable and since I tow mostly on weekends and it's 5k or less, 87 works great. It does not appear to affect my mileage ratings either. So I see no need to pay 0.60 more per gallon ($12+ per fill) for the same result.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I notice no difference in fuel economy between 87, 89, 91. I also notice no impact on engine performance. Because the only difference I notice is cost and the manual say 87 is acceptable, I stick with 87.
Most people will never notice a difference because they just drive the trucks normally. I noticed a difference, but I drive a little more aggressively than most, and even take my truck to the drag strip. I figured I bought my truck with a Hemi to have the Hemi power and will make sure I have all available power I can get.

BowDown

Reaction score
I use Costco 93 100% of the time. Costco's 93 is cheaper than everywhere else's 89 and I'm not using 87 in Texas, especially in the summer.
I am one of those thats noticed a drop in mpg when using 87 or 89 vs 93. I've driven Dallas to Houston and back numerous times and tried 89 on one southbound trip and averaged 20 mpg @ 72mph. Same trip a few months later made the same trip in the same weather conditions (wind direction and speed primarily) but with 93 and averaged 21.5 mpg @72mph. Both averages were with 290 miles driven

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I only use 89. I put 87 in ONCE with my Rebel since the manual says it is acceptable and I swear it drove like crap. I immediately regretted. Probably all in my head but never did it again. Now 2023 is on 89...I can't sweat $5-$6 dollars difference between the 2 grades

6of36

Reaction score
I only use 89. I put 87 in ONCE with my Rebel since the manual says it is acceptable and I swear it drove like crap. I immediately regretted. Probably all in my head but never did it again. Now 2023 is on 89...I can't sweat $5-$6 dollars difference between the 2 grades
Different conditions in different parts of the country. Plus who knows if the fuel is actually the octane they claim at some stations. For me, 87 runs fine. And here the difference would be more like $15-16. 89 is $.50-.60 more than 87.

DeanM2

Reaction score
Thinking about going from 87 to 89 octane. I believe that "eventually" the engine will figure it out and run a bit differently on the 89. But can't you just disconnect the battery for a minute to "force" the engine to relearn?

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Thinking about going from 87 to 89 octane. I believe that "eventually" the engine will figure it out and run a bit differently on the 89. But can't you just disconnect the battery for a minute to "force" the engine to relearn?
Careful, yes, the trucks AI will figure out that you have extra money laying around and that you like burning it. The AI is smart. It will learn how you think.

That truck AI will convince you that you should get it new tires when half the tread is left on existing ones. You will be changing iridium plugs at 50k miles. It will have you believing that doing paint correction and regular ceramic coatings will "increase its value". A pickup truck. Ha! Like the dealer cares come trade in time!

Before you know it, it will have taken over your mind completely and it will drain your account by getting a cold air intake and oil changes at 3k intervals. AT THE DEALER no less!

Yes, once you show this truck that you have no regard for money by throwing it away on 89 octane gas, the sky will be the limit!

Users who are viewing this thread