5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4 vs 12 inch screen

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
See I'm on the other end of things I never looked for or considered the 8.4, older tech and all that tech packaged into a pickup is a huge part of the reason these trucks continue to get the acclaim they do. This thread can go on and on as we all only share our opinions and experiences.. too each his own!

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am confused on the Sirius comment - my 8.4 has those features readily available. Am I missing functionality there?
I reconsidered that after I posted it. I see from your sig that you have the 8.4 nav system. Now I'm thinking it has more to do with that. I have the non-nav system and it definitely doesn't have those features I mentioned.

DennisY

Reaction score
Love the 12" screen, once you get used to it. When someone new sits in the truck they be like holy sh*t that screen is big.

I always, always, always get this same reaction! LOVE the 12 inch screen! No issues here and is larger than an iPad. The large horizontal ones found in some new vehicles look awkward to me. An 8.4 inch would be a disappointment to me now. Go big, or go home! That's my motto.

Rexx

Reaction score
I know people keep mentioned the glitches with the 12 inch screen but that hasn’t been my experience...

I had a ‘13 Sport with a 8.4 inch screen and I swear that screen was possessed. Glitched like crazy. I’d take it to the dealership, they’d do “updates” and it would work for a month or 2 and then straight back to glitching like crazy.

I had a ‘16 longhorn with the 8.4 inch screen and while it wasn’t possessed, it still seemed to start getting the glitches every 6 months or so until an update was done.

My ‘20 limited had glitches the first week or 2 that I had it, it did a software update by itself and since then it’s been flawless (will have had a year at the end of this month).

I completely understand people who prefer having the physical buttons in a more traditional layout, but the 12 inch screen is one of my favorite features in my current truck. I’d get it again without question.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I had the standard 8.4in in my ‘19 Laramie 1500 and really liked it. CarPlay was great with it.

However, when I traded it in for a ‘20 Big Horn 2500, I realized the 8.4in NAV was wayyyy better. It’s not just factory Navigation, it has a whole host of features to be used. WiFi, UConnect Connected Services, Live Weather which is really awesome for me, Tire Pressure Services, Gas Prices, and etc etc. Plus the piano black looks much nicer and you keep the knobs and all. It’s probably the best middle ground all being said.

My ‘21 Limited 1500 will obviously have the 12in. When it first came out on the ‘19’s, I didn’t like it. Host of problems, looked too big, and it removes key functions, like heated/ventilated seats and heated steering physically. However, it’s gotten more stable with updates and less buggy with model year progression. Regardless, I’m looking forward to using it and think for the most part, it will go well. Too bad UConncect 5 will supposedly be a 2022 MY item, and this will be the last year of UConnect 4C; should mean the kinks will be sorted out and this will be the best version of it.

Users who are viewing this thread