5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4 vs 12 inch screen

RambleOn

Reaction score
I value everyone's response, so thank you all for enthusiastically offering your thoughts and opinions. What I found most interesting was the comments from those who have/had both the 8.4 and 12 - they all seem to side with the 12...

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am split in the middle, the 8.4 would be fine with me, but the 12 works just fine for me. No regrets.

jastevenson

Reaction score
I think a lot of it depends on how much you use CarPlay vs built in functions like Ram Navigation

If you use built in Ram navigation, the 12 is a no brainer—you get a massive screen!

But if you use CarPlay, you lose screen real estate vs the 8.4.

I personally am in CarPlay 99% of the time (Spotify, Google or Apple Maps, Apple Music), so the 12 would be a step backward. However, if I used Ram navigation, I’d go with the 12.

The real issue here is that Ram crippled the 12. It’s a massive screen that doesn’t have additional functionality that the 8.4 doesn’t.

Imagine if the 12 let you run 2 CarPlay windows at once, top and bottom. It’d be incredible and I’d pay twice the price they charge to have that.

FYRSTIX

Reaction score
As soon as I saw the big screen I knew I had to have it. Never had a problem, no freezes, no glitches.

I do wish that there was a bit more intelligence built in. Like after I've turned on the heated seats I don't need that control screen to stay up until I choose something else. It can go away on its own after, say 10 seconds.

HAL9001

Reaction score
As soon as I saw the big screen I knew I had to have it. Never had a problem, no freezes, no glitches.

I do wish that there was a bit more intelligence built in. Like after I've turned on the heated seats I don't need that control screen to stay up until I choose something else. It can go away on its own after, say 10 seconds.
It can! There is a feature to do just that, I use it all the time. You press the Controls button, make your selection(s), and then the Controls screen goes away after about 10 seconds. Look in the Settings and you'll find that feature, you just need to turn it on.

Last edited:

brewdad

Reaction score
Just wanted to thank you guys for your comments because I had planned to order my 2022 Rebel with the 8.4" screen, but will select the Rebel 12 package instead. This package is actually less money than the stand alone options of leather seats, 8.4" navigation and Alpine speakers.

Quint

Reaction score
In my 2021, I opted for the 8.4 screen. The two main reasons were because of the temperature dial and the higher glitch rate with the 12". I am the guy that always buys the glitchy vehicle. On my 2015 Ram, I had to hold the temperature button when I wanted to go from 70 degrees to Hi or Lo. It wasn't hard but annoying. Now I just quickly turn the dial and the temp is where I want it. My sales rep also encouraged me to drive the truck with a 12" at night. It was too bright for me, but then again even the new 8.4 is too bright. I have to turn both down in brightness.

I did like the wow factor of the 12" though. After driving this truck for one week now, I can't say that I'm missing anything on the screen. Both are great depending on your likes and hates.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I love my 12" screen, but I don't see it having any more functionality over the 8.4". It just looks awesome. One of the main reasons I got a Rebel instead of the Laramie too is looks. I spend a lot of time in my truck, and I didn't want to always think "What if I had gotten X?" I do that enough with my wife's Pathfinder, and I can't wait to get rid of it when she gets tired of it.

Quint

Reaction score
The reason I went with the 8.4 screen was I mainly didn't want my 11 year old kicking the 12" screen when he was sitting in the front middle seat.
They make cargo cages so kids can ride in the truck bed! 😁

The last truck that I had with a front bench was my '85 F150....also the last 8ft bed sadly. What I really miss if having Mrs. Quint slide over to the middle of the bench for the classic arm over her shoulders drive.

SharkLazer

Reaction score
They make cargo cages so kids can ride in the truck bed! 😁

The last truck that I had with a front bench was my '85 F150....also the last 8ft bed sadly. What I really miss if having Mrs. Quint slide over to the middle of the bench for the classic arm over her shoulders drive.

There are days when I miss my '64 F100 with the 8ft bed. And then there are days when I remember how many times that truck tried to kill me.... Moral of the story, $75 for a truck might indicate problems, even if you are a college kid with a low budget.

On TFL they picked up a 4wd F100 from (I think) '65 and it was gorgeous.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It can! There is a feature to do just that, I use it all the time. You press the Controls button, make your selection(s), and then the Controls screen goes away after about 10 seconds. Look in the Settings and you'll find that feature, you just need to turn it on.
Oh? I need to look into this. Thanks for the tip.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope I love the 12” and one of the many reasons I upgraded to a 5th gen from a 4th gen. I haven’t had any issues with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1ramrunner

Reaction score
I appreciate all the experiences shared. While I'm leaning to the 12", I have a couple questions. I plan on getting Advanced Safety, mostly for surround view, and I have heard that the 12" screen is not as clear as the 8.4"
Is this true?
Thanks,
Jim

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I appreciate all the experiences shared. While I'm leaning to the 12", I have a couple questions. I plan on getting Advanced Safety, mostly for surround view, and I have heard that the 12" screen is not as clear as the 8.4"
Is this true?
Thanks,
Jim

I’m not even sure that surround view is available on 8.4

jastevenson

Reaction score
At least on a Laramie, you can have the 8.4 and the surround view/ASG package.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is this true?
Thanks,
Jim
This has been our experience, at least at night. In natural lighting, the 12.1 inch display in our Limited is just as clear as the 8.4 inch in our Laramie. But at night the 8.4 inch is crystal clear, while the 12.1 inch is pretty grainy.

As far as 12.1 vs 8.4 goes, I like both. And would have a hard time deciding if I was ordering a truck today. I like the discreet buttons for seat heat/cool and steering wheel heat you get with the 8.4, but the 12.1 gives you full control over sirius xm features like rewind and 15 second forward and reverse.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This has been our experience, at least at night. In natural lighting, the 12.1 inch display in our Limited is just as clear as the 8.4 inch in our Laramie. But at night the 8.4 inch is crystal clear, while the 12.1 inch is pretty grainy.

As far as 12.1 vs 8.4 goes, I like both. And would have a hard time deciding if I was ordering a truck today. I like the discreet buttons for seat heat/cool and steering wheel heat you get with the 8.4, but the 12.1 gives you full control over sirius xm features like rewind and 15 second forward and reverse.
I am confused on the Sirius comment - my 8.4 has those features readily available. Am I missing functionality there?

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As this is personal preference I have to say I don’t understand the monster screen in a vehicle? I wanted nothing to do with that 12” screen. The 8.4” screen is ridiculousy big in a vehicle too if you think about it. These trucks have enough electronic gremlins as is why add another thing that you’ll have to worry about functioning properly. I’m ok with the 8.4 because it’s been around a long time so I assume most if not all the bugs are worked out. So my vote is 8.4

they’ve passed all these laws regarding phone use in vehicles because it’s unsafe. Like it’s any safer to be screwing around with a massive touch screen in the middle of your dash

Users who are viewing this thread