5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

68274406AG Active Air Dam Delete

bikeboy480

Reaction score
On a recent road trip I ran over a cardboard box on the highway. It wrecked the active air dam on my 2019 Ram 1500. I needed to keep moving and didnt have many tools with me so I removed it, cut the wires and kept going. Stupidly, I threw away the part as it was pretty mangled and I didnt think it would be of any use. I soon got a check engine light (Code U11E9) and now I cant pass the TX state inspection with that code active. I cant find the part except at the dealer and they want $1500 for it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to trick the computer into thinking its still installed or go around it? I tried just unplugging the harness that the AAD is connected to and that worked as long as I stay under 35MPH, but thats also the harness that the left side front lights are wired into. so...

Any help is appreciated

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you cut the wires, which required a tool, instead of unplugging, which didn't? I won't dwell on that, but it sounds like you need to repair/replace the connector on the end of the wiring harness (or replace the entire harness), as well as the AAD assembly.

I think I've seen a website that sells replacement MoPar connectors, though I don't have a link handy. Dorman or others might have a repair pigtail. Or your local salvage yard might have what you need off a wreck.

If you're not handy with wire repairs, you can probably find a local two-way radio or car audio/alarm shop that will do that for a reasonable cost.

And then auto parts store might be able to clear the codes.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the motor needs to be plugged in to keep away the codes?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If only these inspection places could actually know WTF the codes mean to see it has nothing to do with safety or emissions, so should t fail you on inspection.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
FYI

not going to like the $$$ cost.

bikeboy480

Reaction score
Thank you for the ideas so far. I think I'm gonna have to go hit up the local junk yards and see if anyone has one there.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have seen ADD's posted for about $200 in offer up and market place, and if you are able to track down one of those repair kit harness like in thread Jako you'll be set otherwise his other idea is great as well

CLECSoft

Reaction score
If only these inspection places could actually know WTF the codes mean to see it has nothing to do with safety or emissions, so should t fail you on inspection.
I took the Virginia emissions tester class and ANY Check engine light is a failure though often they overlook them on safety only inspections.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
These codes can be a headache. If the battery is disconnected you need to put some miles (50-?) so it will pass, although nothing is wrong. Couldn't register my father in laws car until it had a valid inspection. To pass inspection I needed to drive it. So I drove an unregistered and uninspected vehicle. I have 4 cars I'm dealing with that has had the battery disconnected and I need to insure the miles are put on, $27 for a fail and another $37 for a pass.

bikeboy480

Reaction score
Welp, none of the local junk yards have any 2019 or later trucks on their lots. None of the dealers have the part and neither does Rock Auto. Has anyone had any luck using any of the tuning programs to remove something like the AAD?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welp, none of the local junk yards have any 2019 or later trucks on their lots. None of the dealers have the part and neither does Rock Auto. Has anyone had any luck using any of the tuning programs to remove something like the AAD?
There are many on here who have removed theirs. Surely someone could sell you at least the actuator.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Buy/Sell subforum is a long ways down the front forum page...:mad:

St-na

Reaction score
I broke my air dam long ago and never tried to fit it back. Never had any code. I believe this junk is for no use.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
U11E9 is for the active grille shutters. It's strange that you threw a code when you removed the AAD. I removed the AAD from three different 5th gens (2020 Laramie, 2020 Limited, 2021 Limited), and non of them ever threw any codes for that or the AGS. I've read that several members who removed the AAD on their 2022 models were getting the AGS code, but not from members with older 5th gens (2019-2021).

Solracer

Reaction score
U11E9 is for the active grille shutters. It's strange that you threw a code when you removed the AAD. I removed the AAD from three different 5th gens (2020 Laramie, 2020 Limited, 2021 Limited), and non of them ever threw any codes for that or the AGS. I've read that several members who removed the AAD on their 2022 models were getting the AGS code, but not from members with older 5th gens (2019-2021).
I've been thinking about removing mine (2022) Is there a way to remove it without triggering a code?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about removing mine (2022) Is there a way to remove it without triggering a code?
I don't know for sure since I never had to deal with any codes. But if I were to speculate, you could probably remove the motor from the AAD assembly and plug that into the harness. I'm not sure how you would mount that motor in there, but there's plenty of room to stuff it in somewhere behind the bumper.

sspac

Reaction score
We have a 2019 RAM 1500 and the AAD failed and started throwing an engine light. I unplugged the connection and taped up the truck side of the harness incase I ever want to replace the AAD (not likely). That was back in November I think and we haven't had an engine light back since.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
We have a 2019 RAM 1500 and the AAD failed and started throwing an engine light. I unplugged the connection and taped up the truck side of the harness incase I ever want to replace the AAD (not likely). That was back in November I think and we haven't had an engine light back since.
I did the same thing on mine. No issues since

Users who are viewing this thread