5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$65000 truck and 65 cent tailgate

Halibut214

Reaction score
I've now had my truck in 3 times for the problem with the tailgate opening whenever it chooses. Twice before there was ever a recall and once after. It still falls down and now will not lock. Not sure this falls under the lemon law but I'm getting real tired of this. I just turned over 22000 miles. After the first time which like many, thought was just a fluke, I've tried slamming it, closing it easy, kicking it from the inside etc etc and each time it seemed closed rock solid but then it would at some point fall open again. I have a cover on the bed and at one time it locked so things were semi safe and I'm assuming that each time I took off and my doors locked the tailgate also locked but yet still fell open. I'm thinking of fixing this myself at this point and thinking there has to be a link here between the locking mechanism and it opening. Anyone explored this or did there own fix? Ideas? And yes I know the part about if I tinker with it and voiding my warranty but at this point it's that or maybe I will try the lemon law. Just wish I didn't love me truck so damn much.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Someone with a flipper device is messing with you. Lol.
All jokes aside, thankfully I have not seen this with my 21.
Good luck with figuring it out. My experience with my dealer being able to actually troubleshoot and fix things has been poor. So I feel for you.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No way will that fall under the lemon law. You might actually want to look it up. Does it work fine without your cover installed? How many times have you been to the dealer to have it fixed? Just the once under the recall? Have you tried search because I know others have fixed their tailgates?

Halibut214

Reaction score
1)The lemon thing was haha. 2) As I said in my opening line I've had it to the dealer 3 times, 2 of those before the recall was ever issued and the 3rd after. The first two times I didn't have a cover but no it does not stay up even if the cover is open and not even touching it. 3) I searched and searched and was unable to find anything useful that might help.
Let me add a couple other things. Because the dealer I bought it from seemed unable to fix it I took it too another Ram dealer for the recall. I just took it in for the 4th time but 2 days later when I called to see if they'd made any progress and found my truck was still in the, "queue", I went and got it.
It can't be that complicated but before I tear into it any knowledge I can gain beforehand might help. thanks

vincentw56

Reaction score
1)The lemon thing was haha. 2) As I said in my opening line I've had it to the dealer 3 times, 2 of those before the recall was ever issued and the 3rd after. The first two times I didn't have a cover but no it does not stay up even if the cover is open and not even touching it. 3) I searched and searched and was unable to find anything useful that might help.
Let me add a couple other things. Because the dealer I bought it from seemed unable to fix it I took it too another Ram dealer for the recall. I just took it in for the 4th time but 2 days later when I called to see if they'd made any progress and found my truck was still in the, "queue", I went and got it.
It can't be that complicated but before I tear into it any knowledge I can gain beforehand might help. thanks
It is adjustable. And that's all they would do for the recall. You might need to just try to adjust it some but it will not void your warranty.

Halibut214

Reaction score
A friend recommended I turn the ignition on, disconnect the battery, wait 15 minutes and reconnect and it will reset the lock for the tailgate amongst other things. It worked! My tailgate once again locks. As for it continuing to fall down... time will tell.
In my search for a fix for this I found a utube video that perhaps others with tailgate issues may find useful. Not sure what's allowed on here so just do a search on Tailgate recall U74. I know the video is for models thru 2017 but it shows the mechanism, how it works, and how easy it is to access. Thanks

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
A friend recommended I turn the ignition on, disconnect the battery, wait 15 minutes and reconnect and it will reset the lock for the tailgate amongst other things. It worked! My tailgate once again locks. As for it continuing to fall down... time will tell.
So the "65 cent tailgate" is working again?
Nice.

Halibut214

Reaction score
I've now had my truck in 3 times for the problem with the tailgate opening whenever it chooses. Twice before there was ever a recall and once after. It still falls down and now will not lock. Not sure this falls under the lemon law but I'm getting real tired of this. I just turned over 22000 miles. After the first time which like many, thought was just a fluke, I've tried slamming it, closing it easy, kicking it from the inside etc etc and each time it seemed closed rock solid but then it would at some point fall open again. I have a cover on the bed and at one time it locked so things were semi safe and I'm assuming that each time I took off and my doors locked the tailgate also locked but yet still fell open. I'm thinking of fixing this myself at this point and thinking there has to be a link here between the locking mechanism and it opening. Anyone explored this or did there own fix? Ideas? And yes I know the part about if I tinker with it and voiding my warranty but at this point it's that or maybe I will try the lemon law. Just wish I didn't love me truck so damn much.
I spoke to soon and am back to square one. Don't know if the battery thing was just a coincidence or what but the tailgate fell down again and the lock mechanism is no longer working so I'm back to square one. Tried disconnecting reconnecting the battery again to no avail. Any ideas on this would be much appreciated. Thanks

RamCares

Reaction score
I spoke to soon and am back to square one. Don't know if the battery thing was just a coincidence or what but the tailgate fell down again and the lock mechanism is no longer working so I'm back to square one. Tried disconnecting reconnecting the battery again to no avail. Any ideas on this would be much appreciated. Thanks
Hello, have you talked to your dealer at all? We would be happy to look into this further for you. Feel free to send us a private message with your VIN.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

alozo

Reaction score
Any luck with fixing the problem of your tailgate opening unexpected? I had the recall inspection in July and the dealership said everything is good. But...my tailgate opened on its own the other day. I have a 2020 1500 Laramie with only 26K miles. Thanks

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the tailgate opening going down the road or just randomly while parked? What is the weather conditions when this happens, has it rained recently? Diagnosing this when it doesn't happen consistently is nearly impossible and may take some trial and error. The U74 recall has zero to do with the DT truck, completely different systems in the tailgates.

alozo

Reaction score
Is the tailgate opening going down the road or just randomly while parked? What is the weather conditions when this happens, has it rained recently? Diagnosing this when it doesn't happen consistently is nearly impossible and may take some trial and error. The U74 recall has zero to do with the DT truck, completely different systems in the tailgates.
It opened once when going down the road. It was night time (7pm PST) and the road was paved, mainly freeway. It had rained the night before but everything was dry. I don't remember any unusual bumps or bangs during the trip. Thank you for the info. I was thinking it would be covered under the zb8 recall.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
It opened once when going down the road. It was night time (7pm PST) and the road was paved, mainly freeway. It had rained the night before but everything was dry. I don't remember any unusual bumps or bangs during the trip. Thank you for the info. I was thinking it would be covered under the zb8 recall.
"there must be some sort of glitch in the BCM, especially while in gear when the switch is supposed to be disabled."

@Jimmy07

Users who are viewing this thread