5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.4 Hemi or Cummins Help Needed

alz0305

Reaction score
In the next few months I will be purchasing a Ram 2500. I am trying to decided between the gasser (6.4 Hemi) or the Cummins. My average commute will be around 90 miles round trip per day. I will probably only be towing around 3-4 times per month (8-10,000lbs). Factoring in the added cost of the Cummins, DEF, maintenance vs. the Hemi which one would you go with and why if you were in my situation.

Thanks for all the help, this forum is full of good info.

Helmetface

Reaction score
With what you need, the 6.4 is a no brainer. Hell, the 5.7 would even do you well.

Modern diesels are not what they used to be and are, on average, $10k more across the board. Nevermind maintenance.

Reaction score
If you're mostly using it as a tow vehicle, and those 90 miles are hiway I might consider a diesel (depending on price difference), especially if you're going to be towing at high altitudes and/or steep grades. You're right at the point where I usually think a diesel could make sense, depending on conditions.

alz0305

Reaction score
If you're mostly using it as a tow vehicle, and those 90 miles are hiway I might consider a diesel (depending on price difference), especially if you're going to be towing at high altitudes and/or steep grades. You're right at the point where I usually think a diesel could make sense, depending on conditions.

Will get 95% of its use as a daily commuter without towing anything. Occasionally towing a camper/utility trailer on the weekends. 90 miles per day is probably the least amount I will drive. Some days could be upwards of 180-200 so I'm trying to figure fuel/diesel economy on an every day basis into the equation as well.

j517

Reaction score
i had 3 diesels in the past 10 years 2010, 2012, 2015, all of them ford f250 my commute to my branch office is 200 miles from home i go to my branch office 2 to 4 times a month sometimes more. i also drive to az from my branch office I am in so cal the diesel truck was great but expensive to maintain my 2010 was a champ no issues my 2012 piece of **** constantly in the shop lemon law my 2015 was a piece of **** 3k repairing the front hub and rim tustin ford sucks lemons all the dealers in tustin ca suck lemos ram also was going to see my pops after open heart surg freaking ford DIESEL popped a DEF line and left me on the side of the road dead

got it fixed 2k for a popped line took in to stealership next day bought a 1500 limited it is a great fun truck for a kid or a retired person pepy it goes and its fun as **** to drive but for work it is horrible now i have a power wagon 2500 6.X Gasser and luv it

drove to work today litte over 1/4 of a tank o gas lieometer tells me avg 14.5 edge cts avg is 22 what evers coming up a 4% grade didnt even flinch on level surface it runs like a champ i luve it no freaking DEF to worry about or any other BS components or part to brake GET A GASSER
66fa456121cc9e18efbdafc1786d5c9e.jpg

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

j517

Reaction score
maintenance cost
81cd83b44fbf38738f112d1f12f72520.jpg

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread