5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th gen shorter than 4th gen?

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
My three car garage is "builder spec", basically meaning that it is painfully small.

Just under 21 feet deep with a 16 foot and a seven foot wide door.

Had someone bring over a 2015 for fitment over the weekend, it had a few inches to spare when it was backed in next to my wife's 4Runner.

After he left, I realized the 6th gen might be slightly larger.

Quick Google search tells me that the 6th gen crew cab 5'7 box is actually 232.9 inches long as opposed to 237.4 on the 2015.

Is that accurate? Seems like trucks are getting bigger as opposed to smaller.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A 5th Gen crew 5'7 should be 4 inches bigger than a 4th Gen.

You sure you didnt input a 4th Gen crew 6'4 bed

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Shoot. Good catch. That must be exactly what I did.

Welp, that dream is crushed. I guess I'll have to find a local 6th gen to try prior to purchase, but given how tight the 4th gen was I'm not optimistic.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Shoot. Good catch. That must be exactly what I did.

Welp, that dream is crushed. I guess I'll have to find a local 6th gen to try prior to purchase, but given how tight the 4th gen was I'm not optimistic.
Is the 5 broken on your keyboard? You keep saying 6th gen. Unless you have some type of time machine maybe? :p

DSTJ99

Reaction score
My garage is 251” from rear wall to garage door. I thought it would be too tight to be practical but it’s been fine actually. I put foam on the back wall and I can easily back in to within 1” of the wall with the rear camera which clearly zooms in on the bumper. There is about 16” between the garage door and front bumper when closed and I can get by ok but I don’t often need to since driver side is closer to house entry side.

This picture actually looks worse than it really is but I’ve probably backed in 40+ times already and I’ve gotten really good at it and it doesn’t really take any longer than pulling in normally. The hemi at idle inches the truck on its own close to the wall so you can crawl right up for the last foot. I do have little bumpers for the tires to go on the floor but haven’t installed them yet. My single garage door is 9 wide but you could get in with an 8’ door with folding mirrors. Standard size garage door is 8x7.

Only time I don’t park in the garage is if I’m going back out soon or need to load the bed from back vs. over top on driver side.

2dbd1559df20b3d13b0bf1bba3d27f5e.jpg

gobble9mil

Reaction score
What about width? I have an 8' wide garage opening. Am I gonna get in? I presume I have to close my mirrors.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What about width? I have an 8' wide garage opening. Am I gonna get in? I presume I have to close my mirrors.
A little over 7' with mirrors in. If my memory serves me right: slightly under 8' mirrors out and 7' 1" or so in.

CPenn1086

Reaction score
My garage is 251” from rear wall to garage door. I thought it would be too tight to be practical but it’s been fine actually. I put foam on the back wall and I can easily back in to within 1” of the wall with the rear camera which clearly zooms in on the bumper. There is about 16” between the garage door and front bumper when closed and I can get by ok but I don’t often need to since driver side is closer to house entry side.

This picture actually looks worse than it really is but I’ve probably backed in 40+ times already and I’ve gotten really good at it and it doesn’t really take any longer than pulling in normally. The hemi at idle inches the truck on its own close to the wall so you can crawl right up for the last foot. I do have little bumpers for the tires to go on the floor but haven’t installed them yet. My single garage door is 9 wide but you could get in with an 8’ door with folding mirrors. Standard size garage door is 8x7.

Only time I don’t park in the garage is if I’m going back out soon or need to load the bed from back vs. over top on driver side.

2dbd1559df20b3d13b0bf1bba3d27f5e.jpg
Damn, that is tight my man!

Moving into a new house this summer and the garage is 242" from rear wall to garage door. Not that I planned on keeping the truck inside, but woulda been nice to know it fit. Oh well! At least a sports car will fit when the wife allows it. 😂

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Make a "dog house" extension to the back of the garage to give you more room.

I still need to get a garage. There is my Airplane to finish building too.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread