5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Ram Sold after 5 Months, PROBLEMS!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I too looked at the Ford, having owned a 2015 2.7 S Cab 4x4. I was quite happy with the power, economy was fine (not as claimed), the issue of “coking” on the cylinder heads due to no DI has been resolved with the (I think it is) 2017 or 2018 engine redesign, but I couldnt see paying an extra $5-7K for the F150 vs the Ram. Ford has nothing except the ecoboost thats any better than the Ram, IMHO, well, more gear choices but thats about it.
I drove 3.5L TT and 5.0L models; the torque of the EcoBoost made for a quick truck, but I agree with you that the Coyote sings a better tune.

Ram92131

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Had a 18 Ram Quad 4x4 Express, loved it and sold it.
Then bought a 19 5th gen Bighorn crew 4x4 with MSRP of 51.1 for 37.2 (also had Ford lease, qualified for almost all rebates) during Black Friday week 2018. Drove it 5 .5 months and 6,400 miles and had the following issues;
-Front end shake that was in twice and dealer could not diagnose, likely a bent rim.
-Reverse brake squealing that woke my Wife up when I left for work everyday. Parts ordered, went in three weeks early and dealer only had one bracket, he said Ill order a second bracket and call you. Waited another 2 weeks and heard nothing.
-Detailed my truck in March and noticed 100's of rocker paint chips, I almost fell over. Cant believe why Ram would not put clear rocker film to deter this. While detaining I also noticed hundreds of rail dust spots on the lower level of paint. I rubbed out 50 or so and said forget it. This is after having clayed the truck and putting on an excellent coat of wax on a day after buying it.
-This doesn't mention the "speed while using cruise control" disappearing many times sporadically. Or, the 8.4 inch display disappearing for no reason and the XM muting for no reason and staying off until I shot the car off and "reboot" it.

Funny thing, the dealer I bought from doesn't even have a body shop for me to take the paint chips to.

So today sold the truck for 35k and bought a 18 Tundra crew max in Cavalry blue. It is lacking in technology and gas mileage but will likely never need service.

Ram Care, have a nice day.

Bear

Wow.

So you bent a rim, got the truck’s underside dirty, and had a minor brake issue. Sounds like you sold due to buyer’s remorse more than anything Ram did.

U

User_3336

You don't want a 5.0 V8 right now. They went to sprayed in cylinder walls (plasma arc) and its causing massive oil consumption issues. Ford is replacing the long blocks in trucks....

I love the sound of a good V8, so I was looking at Coyote-equipped models. About on par with the Hemi, with 10 ft/lbs deficit on torque though, and it definitely seemed to like to rev. The 10 speed kept it in the power though. My pick would have been with 3.73 gears, just like with the RAM I went with 3.92s.

U

User_3336

I don't believe it. A truck in 5 month is going to depreciate a lot more than $2,000. Rebates and discounts taken into consideration. (unless the selling dealer the newer one was desperate for a sale,s and overvalued the trade...but that would have been their loss. not the op's)

This.

If that's the case, I almost want to sell my Laramie and go buy a Limited LOL

foghorn17

Reaction score
You don't want a 5.0 V8 right now. They went to sprayed in cylinder walls (plasma arc) and its causing massive oil consumption issues. Ford is replacing the long blocks in trucks....
Yeah and their Essex engine plant that produces the 5.0 is currently in the middle of a twelve-week shut down. Mum is the word on why, but it appears like they got some fixin' to do over at the blue oval. Lots of threads about replacing 5.0 engines on the Ford truck forums. I think I'd hold off on the purchase of a F150 with the 5.0 right now.

U

User_3336

they are "cutting production back on the 5.0". I can't find any reference to them shutting down for 12 weeks.

Yeah and their Essex engine plant that produces the 5.0 is currently in the middle of a twelve-week shut down. Mum is the word on why, but it appears like they got some fixin' to do over at the blue oval. Lots of threads about replacing 5.0 engines on the Ford truck forums. I think I'd hold off on the purchase of a F150 with the 5.0 right now.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
A guy in my industry has gone through 2 new 5.0 engines from Ford in his 2017 apparently. Definitely seems like I dodged a bullet. The Hemi was super reliable in my Jeep, figured why not keep going with it and get a RAM. :)

U

User_3336

5.0's were good engines prior to the 18 model year revision. The Plasma Arc technology to spray the cylinder walls hasn't worked out for ford in the 18 5.0. Worked for Nissan in the GT-R, but causing issues in the f150.

Getting off topic a bit though... :-\

A guy in my industry has gone through 2 new 5.0 engines from Ford in his 2017 apparently. Definitely seems like I dodged a bullet. The Hemi was super reliable in my Jeep, figured why not keep going with it and get a RAM. :)

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ouch! I have not been on the F150 forums for a while now, better check and see.
On another hand, I had not driven the 19’ for 8 days and so I put the battery charger on it. 6 hrs on the 2 amp setting and it indicated fully charged. When I had my F150 and didnt drive it in a week it took 18 hrs to do the same thing. Lots of owners were having dead battery issues back in 2015-2017. Ford’s battery management system (BMS) wasn’t well thought out it seemed.

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
8 days should not drain the battery. 3-weeks?...maybe

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

greg_nc

Reaction score
Watch the crash test videos on the Tundra... I’ll get my RAM fixed every month before I drive that death trap..
I love my ram but this statement isn’t fair. According to the test data l: “...The Tundra’s elimination from the list leaves the Ford F-150 as the only full-size model above its threshold for a recommendation with a score of 67, followed by the Ram 1500 at 64 and the Tundra at 63.”

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
8 days should not drain the battery. 3-weeks?...maybe

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
It wasn’t “drained”, I just remembered my Ford and figured I’d better check. Same battery charger, hooked up the same way (not putting the negative on the neg of the battery, using a ground bolt) just to keep the variables down.
Like I said, the same stock F150 would go between 16 and 20 hours, often averaging 18, to get the fully charged indicator to light. It had a start/stop system so had a hefty AGM battery in it. The Ram took 6 to do the same thing, so I’d say that my unscientific experiment shows less battery loss due to parasitic drains on the Ram than on the Ford. No aftermarket anything electrical on either truck.

From the F150forum.com, 11-18-2018:
Battery charging with BMS
As my driving patterns are predominately very short trips over extended periods of time (sometimes months) I feel as though routine battery charging on my 2018 could be beneficial. My prior 2000 F150 formed the foundation of this belief as it required periodic charging. The experiences of others on the '15+ forum seem to validate the concept. Therefore I have installed a quick connect harness to facilitate a permanent, more secure method to accomplish charging.
End of quote

Last edited by a moderator:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
5.0's were good engines prior to the 18 model year revision. The Plasma Arc technology to spray the cylinder walls hasn't worked out for ford in the 18 5.0. Worked for Nissan in the GT-R, but causing issues in the f150.

Getting off topic a bit though... :-\

Nope, nothin’ wrong with the 5.0...

04-14-2018, 10:02 PM
BaldMonkey22

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I started the 17 3.5 rattle thread and I'm currently in the process of a buyback, 30+ days in the shop new phasers, cams and tensioner as well as a PCM reflash and the noise is still there. I believe it to be an oiling issue to the cam phasers on cold starts but ford doesn't seem to have a fix for it, I may go f250 if I stay with ford but the current state of the f150 doesnt sit well with me.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Damn,
I was having a little buyers remorse when I took my leased Mazda in to get valued/inspected since the lease ends in a few months and started running numbers. They offered me $41K for my Laramie in sig. Honestly, that's about $4-5K off the truck in loss, about $1K per month.

Only remorse is that it's my first big expensive vehicle and the smarter side of me is saying I could of bought 2 nice vehicles for the price of my Laramie lol

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
I love my ram but this statement isn’t fair. According to the test data l: “...The Tundra’s elimination from the list leaves the Ford F-150 as the only full-size model above its threshold for a recommendation with a score of 67, followed by the Ram 1500 at 64 and the Tundra at 63.”

Not sure what report that all came from, I simply went by the IIHS data:

Tundra did not do very well on the small overlap tests. Marginal and Poor, for driver and passenger respectively, while the RAM did Good on both (highest mark). Likewise, the Tundra only got an Acceptable for roof strength, while the RAM received another Good in this category.

The pictures say quite a bit as well, the Tundra had a fair bit of cab intrusion which is not good at all. I should also admit that the Tundra was on my list between the F150, RAM and Silverado (2018 style), but got pushed out during my test drives and research. The Silverado didn't impress me, and the Ford was a bit more expensive than I wanted to pay for a new truck. :)

Users who are viewing this thread