5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Ram Sold after 5 Months, PROBLEMS!

1fujifilm

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Had a 18 Ram Quad 4x4 Express, loved it and sold it.
Then bought a 19 5th gen Bighorn crew 4x4 with MSRP of 51.1 for 37.2 (also had Ford lease, qualified for almost all rebates) during Black Friday week 2018. Drove it 5 .5 months and 6,400 miles and had the following issues;
-Front end shake that was in twice and dealer could not diagnose, likely a bent rim.
-Reverse brake squealing that woke my Wife up when I left for work everyday. Parts ordered, went in three weeks early and dealer only had one bracket, he said Ill order a second bracket and call you. Waited another 2 weeks and heard nothing.
-Detailed my truck in March and noticed 100's of rocker paint chips, I almost fell over. Cant believe why Ram would not put clear rocker film to deter this. While detaining I also noticed hundreds of rail dust spots on the lower level of paint. I rubbed out 50 or so and said forget it. This is after having clayed the truck and putting on an excellent coat of wax on a day after buying it.
-This doesn't mention the "speed while using cruise control" disappearing many times sporadically. Or, the 8.4 inch display disappearing for no reason and the XM muting for no reason and staying off until I shot the car off and "reboot" it.

Funny thing, the dealer I bought from doesn't even have a body shop for me to take the paint chips to.

So today sold the truck for 35k and bought a 18 Tundra crew max in Cavalry blue. It is lacking in technology and gas mileage but will likely never need service.

Ram Care, have a nice day.

Bear

Attachments

• 20181210_082320_resized_2.jpg
    20181210_082320_resized_2.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 219

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Then bought a 19 5th gen Bighorn crew 4x4 with MSRP of 51.1 for 37.2 (also had Ford lease, qualified for almost all rebates) during Black Friday week 2018. Drove it 5 .5 months and 6,400 miles and had the following issues;
-Front end shake that was in twice and dealer could not diagnose, likely a bent rim.
-Reverse brake squealing that woke my Wife up when I left for work everyday. Parts ordered, went in three weeks early and dealer only had one bracket, he said Ill order a second bracket and call you. Waited another 2 weeks and heard nothing.
-Detailed my truck in March and noticed 100's of rocker paint chips, I almost fell over. Cant believe why Ram would not put clear rocker film to deter this. While detaining I also noticed hundreds of rail dust spots on the lower level of paint. I rubbed out 50 or so and said forget it. This is after having clayed the truck and putting on an excellent coat of wax on a day after buying it.
-This doesn't mention the "speed while using cruise control" disappearing many times sporadically. Or, the 8.4 inch display disappearing for no reason and the XM muting for no reason and staying off until I shot the car off and "reboot" it.

Funny thing, the dealer I bought from doesn't even have a body shop for me to take the paint chips to.

So today sold the truck for 35k and bought a 18 Tundra crew max in Cavalry blue. It is lacking in technology and gas mileage but will likely never need service.

Bear
Sorry about your experience; good luck to you!

Cougar115

Reaction score
Had a 2005 double cab tundra and have 310,000 miles on it with absolutely no troubles. It’s getting tired and I drive a lot so was getting tired of my tape deck and of my dewalt Bluetooth added on to link my phone. I would have bought another tundra but have kids and Toyota has screwed up and not updated the tundra. Small cab to get a 6’+ bed and stone age tech.
I test drove and researched for hours and finally ordered a big horn north edition crew can 6’+ bed, level 2 equipment with and bunch of add ones. I am really hoping This Ram coming on Friday has half the dependability and longevity of that yota.
Selling the yote for 2k to a guy who wants to give it a little tlc and use it as a play truck.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Watch the crash test videos on the Tundra... I’ll get my RAM fixed every month before I drive that death trap..

This exactly! The tundra could literally be the absolutely worst alternative choice. My condolences to you and your family.

Any other truck but that one. Uggg

Cyclo

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Bear
I think most of the problems listed here are with the bighorn models. Most of the other models just have a few issues

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well he did indicate a ton of rebates and discounts.

Personally doesnt sound like enough mechanical issues to sell, more so paint. Some owners are picky about paint.
If he liked his 18, could have either traded for a new classic or found a gently used one.

I get the legendary Toyota reliability (having owned a Prius) but the truck is so outdated its ridiculous. I’d go back to Ford before I bought a Nissan or Toyota truck, sorry, not impressed. Heck you spend as much on a Taco CC 4x4 as you do on a 1500 Ram...

Dontfront82

Reaction score
I hope u enjoy ur tundra!

I've had alot of issues also with the 19 ram in the first 3k miles. In also have the break squeal now just haven't took it back. But I'm enjoying the truck for now but will sell (before warranty is out)or do lemon law since I'm documenting everything

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I hope u enjoy ur tundra!

I've had alot of issues also with the 19 ram in the first 3k miles. In also have the break squeal now just haven't took it back. But I'm enjoying the truck for now but will sell (before warranty is out)or do lemon law since I'm documenting everything
So how does a LL work when you’ve modded it so much? Id think you’d lose big time. Maybe better to sell it to someone who appreciates your choices of mods...

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Well he did indicate a ton of rebates and discounts.

Personally doesnt sound like enough mechanical issues to sell, more so paint. Some owners are picky about paint.
If he liked his 18, could have either traded for a new classic or found a gently used one.

I get the legendary Toyota reliability (having owned a Prius) but the truck is so outdated its ridiculous. I’d go back to Ford before I bought a Nissan or Toyota truck, sorry, not impressed. Heck you spend as much on a Taco CC 4x4 as you do on a 1500 Ram...

I had about $14k in rebates and discounts on mine. :)

I was looking at a 2018 F150 Lariat and the 2019 Laramie, before deciding on the RAM. The Ford was about $5k more, and had features I didn't particularly see much utility in. That, and the ZF8 transmission in the RAM is proven, whereas that new Ford/GM 10-speed isn't yet.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I had about $14k in rebates and discounts on mine. :)

I was looking at a 2018 F150 Lariat and the 2019 Laramie, before deciding on the RAM. The Ford was about $5k more, and had features I didn't particularly see much utility in. That, and the ZF8 transmission in the RAM is proven, whereas that new Ford/GM 10-speed isn't yet.
I too looked at the Ford, having owned a 2015 2.7 S Cab 4x4. I was quite happy with the power, economy was fine (not as claimed), the issue of “coking” on the cylinder heads due to no DI has been resolved with the (I think it is) 2017 or 2018 engine redesign, but I couldnt see paying an extra $5-7K for the F150 vs the Ram. Ford has nothing except the ecoboost thats any better than the Ram, IMHO, well, more gear choices but thats about it.

Dontfront82

Reaction score
So how does a LL work when you’ve modded it so much? Id think you’d lose big time. Maybe better to sell it to someone who appreciates your choices of mods...

Yes true, but..The most expensive mod I've done this far is the 22inch stocks and mud terrains I can remove and swap easily, the weather tech mats come out (I still have stock mats), my tool box comes out(I've used it on 2 trucks now), my side step running boards come off. I still have stock exhaust to swap out also, The only loss would be tint and bedliner. Oh yea The lift came with he truck from dealer also

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
I too looked at the Ford, having owned a 2015 2.7 S Cab 4x4. I was quite happy with the power, economy was fine (not as claimed), the issue of “coking” on the cylinder heads due to no DI has been resolved with the (I think it is) 2017 or 2018 engine redesign, but I couldnt see paying an extra $5-7K for the F150 vs the Ram. Ford has nothing except the ecoboost thats any better than the Ram, IMHO, well, more gear choices but thats about it.

I love the sound of a good V8, so I was looking at Coyote-equipped models. About on par with the Hemi, with 10 ft/lbs deficit on torque though, and it definitely seemed to like to rev. The 10 speed kept it in the power though. My pick would have been with 3.73 gears, just like with the RAM I went with 3.92s.

Users who are viewing this thread