5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Aftermarket LED Fogs w/ DRL

Zwitten517

Reaction score
Thought you guys might like to see what I’m currently working on.

I have a 2020 1500 Bighorn with halogen fogs.

I just designed an LED replacement that has an Amber DRL spliced into the factory side DRL harness.

Disclaimer: these won’t be used as actual fogs anymore! They are way too bright.

Attachments

• IMG_4607.jpeg
    IMG_4607.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4606.jpeg
    IMG_4606.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4608.jpeg
    IMG_4608.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4610.jpeg
    IMG_4610.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4613.jpeg
    IMG_4613.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 51

Zwitten517

Reaction score
Those look nice.
How Much????
Im a design engineer here at Rough Country and I don’t have anything to do with pricing, I just design the parts and I recently got my 5th gen and designed the brackets to support a 3.5” LED/Amber DRL that we already sell. I also designed the fog light kit using the exact same light for the 05-15 Tacoma.

I just thought you guys might like to see an upcoming product that uses the factory bezels(if you have the halogens).

Also, we will be including a bezel with the kit in case you have the factory LED fogs or if you don’t have fogs at all!

Last edited:

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s awesome! I’ve been eyeing up the Stage 3 Diode Dynamics yellow fogs with the Amber driving light. But i might have to hold off since you’re literally designing something new into the mix. Looks badA$$ brother! Keep up the good work. Any idea on a time frame of coming to market?

I have the stock halogen housings but currently running Auxbeam yellow LED’s. Looking forward to seeing these!

Zwitten517

Reaction score
That’s awesome! I’ve been eyeing up the Stage 3 Diode Dynamics yellow fogs with the Amber driving light. But i might have to hold off since you’re literally designing something new into the mix. Looks badA$$ brother! Keep up the good work. Any idea on a time frame of coming to market?

I have the stock halogen housings but currently running Auxbeam yellow LED’s. Looking forward to seeing these!
Not 100% on time to release. I sent the final prototype for production today. Once those get the green light, then it will go into instructions and marketing and what not.

We are also in the process of sourcing a harness for the factory fog light plug as well as a bezel for models without factory fogs.

I also just found an issue while driving my truck to dinner.
These trucks apparently use the fogs while cornering so when you turn on your turn signals you will blind anyone in front of you😂.

Once I work that out and get a source for the harness and stuff I’d say it could be on the site in a month or two.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds good man. I’ll keep an eye out. Keep up the good work!

Could you just angle the fogs down so they don’t blind anyone? Lol.

Zwitten517

Reaction score
Sounds good man. I’ll keep an eye out. Keep up the good work!

Could you just angle the fogs down so they don’t blind anyone? Lol.
I designed the brackets to allow for vertical, horizontal, and tilt adjustment, but the lights seem like they have too much flood.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I designed the brackets to allow for vertical, horizontal, and tilt adjustment, but the lights seem like they have too much flood.
More flood could be a good thing. I know I could use some more coverage and output, which is why I’m looking to upgrade. And even better since you incorporated adjustments so to keep the pattern low and wide.

Zwitten517

Reaction score
More flood could be a good thing. I know I could use some more coverage and output, which is why I’m looking to upgrade. And even better since you incorporated adjustments so to keep the pattern low and wide.
Yes sir! You’ll be able to dial it in to whatever orientation you like! The only limitation will be the narrow opening of the bezel.

I’ll have more updates next week when I get the new prototype brackets from fabrication and powder coat!

Also fyi I will be releasing a Catalytic converter shield/skid that I have been working on soon as well!

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you ever thinking about looking into making a front engine bay skid plate? A lot of guys remove the front lower active air dam (as well as the fixed front lower spoiler). But it opens up a large gap from the front crossmember to the actual bumper.

This thread has some pics and can explain it better than I just did. Lol.

Zwitten517

Reaction score
UPDATE:

So for legal reasons, I cannot release the kit as a "fog light" and i cannot supply a harness to implement your factory fog light button because of the cornering feature.

However, for my truck, I installed our RC 8 Gang switch panel and used an auxiliary switch for the LED and then i just spliced the DRL into the parking lights.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
well you can use led pods for fog lights as long as they are SAE certified. baja designs, diode dynamics both have that option.

i know i know op works for RC. dont know why RC doesn't have that option and rather make them "offroad use only"

Zwitten517

Reaction score
well you can use led pods for fog lights as long as they are SAE certified. baja designs, diode dynamics both have that option.

i know i know op works for RC. dont know why RC doesn't have that option and rather make them "offroad use only"
We do have SAE fogs but they are cubes, and the round 3.5” LED is a perfect fit for the models with round halogens!

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We do have SAE fogs but they are cubes, and the round 3.5” LED is a perfect fit for the models with round halogens!
ah ok.

time to make round ones then! i mean it shouldn't be hard to make them for you but getting the brass to sign off... that'd be difficult I'm assuming.

Users who are viewing this thread