5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen 4 Auto Transfer Case question

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2018 4th Gen with the 4 Auto T-case. 4 Lock and 4 Low do not truly lock. (I pushed my vehicle ramps across the garage floor in 4low, fronts not turning)

Are they still using the Borg Warner 44-44 T-case? Did Ram fix this on the 2019s? Thanks

Link:

BW 44-44

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Apparently some tweaks but still clutched. The other Tcase without 4auto is available on some models.

I'm in the camp that isn't bothered. I want full-time AWD behavior on road... and willing to trade a little bit of off roadi-ness to get it.

Am I wrong? Is it trading more than just "a little bit" of off roadi-ness?

Auburn Hills, Michigan, March 27, 2018 – BorgWarner debuts its Electro-Mechanical On-Demand (EMOD) transfer case on the 2019 Ram 1500 4x4 pickup truck. Building on BorgWarner’s proven Torque-On-Demand® clutching system, the new EMOD technology delivers faster response and higher torque output for better on- and off-road performance. For automakers, the scalable system offers easy traction calibration and integration for a variety of vehicles, from small SUVs to heavy-duty pickup trucks.

“BorgWarner’s new EMOD transfer case features unmatched clutch control and actuation capabilities,” said Dr. Stefan Demmerle, President and General Manager, BorgWarner PowerDrive Systems. “BorgWarner has supplied on-demand transfer cases to Ram since 2010. We are proud to introduce our latest advancements in the next-generation Ram 1500.”

The heart of BorgWarner’s new EMOD transfer case is a motor-driven rotational cam mechanism which provides both robust clutch control and range shift function. The active clutch actuation technology delivers higher torque output, linear clutch response and pre-emptive clutch locking torque with zero rear wheel spin. For hill parking, the system offers the capability to hold front/rear locking torque when the ignition is off. In addition, the EMOD transfer case is equipped with BorgWarner’s HY-VO® driveline chain, optimized for high efficiency and durable performance.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Electrical,

Thank you for the info! It's nice to see that Ram has attempted to address this (better software). It would be interesting to see how this new T-case would perform under the same conditions as the video and my garage ramp test.

I do take my truck offroad and deal with winter driving regularly. IMO its too bad they don't offer a true locking NV242 type auto 4x4 t-case in the Ram anymore.

My next truck will have a true locking T-case (probably a Power Wagon or Rebel). My confidence in this BW44-44 is down. I feel like I've been duped with this Subaru-like awd system and the 4 Lock switch is false advertising... Rant over lol

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems they got rid of the mechanical ball clutch and replaced with an electronically controlled electro-mechanical clutch that they can lock when the truck sees fit (like when in 4H instead of 4A). Anyone remember the new t-case number? I know I saw it somewhere but can't remember it.

For the record, even in 4A, I can barely, and I mean BARELY detect any wheelslip when it engages 4wd. I intentionally parked my truck in the snow on an incline yesterday and then put it in 4A and tried to drive out. Not an ounce of wheel slip.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
"
Transfer cases get upgrades Buyers who equip their 2019 Ram 1500 with a four-wheel drive drivetrain can choose between two electronically controlled transfer cases: the BorgWarner 48-12 for part-time 4WD operation with Hi and Low ranges; and the BorgWarner 48-11 for on-demand 4WD. Both transfer cases engage via a push-button control mounted underneath the rotary gear selector on the instrument panel.

The transfer cases are upgraded internally for more robust performance in conjunction with the increased payload and towing capabilities of the new truck. Changes include a larger-diameter main shaft, relocation of the chain and sprocket for improved bearing support, and improved lubrication. Also, the on-demand system is enhanced for quicker response and higher front output torque capacity.

The 48-12 part-time transfer case provides three operating ranges 2Hi (2WD), 4Hi (4WD) and 4Lo (low-range reduction 4WD) plus a neutral position. 2Hi is designed for any road surface at any time, while 4Hi and 4Lo are for offroad use or slick surfaces. The driver can switch between 2Hi and 4Hi while the truck is in motion. To engage 4Lo, the transmission must be in neutral.

The low-range reduction ratio (crawl ratio) for 4Lo is 2.64:1, which provides increased low-speed torque capability for pulling power and improved driver control in off-road conditions.

The on-demand transfer case has 4Auto, 2Hi, 4Hi and 4Lo selections. 4Auto provides full-time 4WD, responding automatically to provide maximum traction in all road conditions. 2Hi, 4Hi and 4Lo function equally to the part-time transfer case."

This is a video on youtube that shows a 48-11 in all modes. I'm happy with the result of the new transfer case.

Last edited:

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"
Transfer cases get upgrades Buyers who equip their 2019 Ram 1500 with a four-wheel drive drivetrain can choose between two electronically controlled transfer cases: the BorgWarner 48-12 for part-time 4WD operation with Hi and Low ranges; and the BorgWarner 48-11 for on-demand 4WD. Both transfer cases engage via a push-button control mounted underneath the rotary gear selector on the instrument panel.

The transfer cases are upgraded internally for more robust performance in conjunction with the increased payload and towing capabilities of the new truck. Changes include a larger-diameter main shaft, relocation of the chain and sprocket for improved bearing support, and improved lubrication. Also, the on-demand system is enhanced for quicker response and higher front output torque capacity.

The 48-12 part-time transfer case provides three operating ranges 2Hi (2WD), 4Hi (4WD) and 4Lo (low-range reduction 4WD) plus a neutral position. 2Hi is designed for any road surface at any time, while 4Hi and 4Lo are for offroad use or slick surfaces. The driver can switch between 2Hi and 4Hi while the truck is in motion. To engage 4Lo, the transmission must be in neutral.

The low-range reduction ratio (crawl ratio) for 4Lo is 2.64:1, which provides increased low-speed torque capability for pulling power and improved driver control in off-road conditions.

The on-demand transfer case has 4Auto, 2Hi, 4Hi and 4Lo selections. 4Auto provides full-time 4WD, responding automatically to provide maximum traction in all road conditions. 2Hi, 4Hi and 4Lo function equally to the part-time transfer case."

This is a video on youtube that shows a 48-11 in all modes. I happy with the result of the new transfer case.
Good to see in action!(y) Also, slightly used low mileage demo truck for sale.:LOL:

Lateralus

Reaction score
I do take my truck offroad and deal with winter driving regularly. IMO its too bad they don't offer a true locking NV242 type auto 4x4 t-case in the Ram anymore.

My next truck will have a true locking T-case (probably a Power Wagon or Rebel). My confidence in this BW44-44 is down. I feel like I've been duped with this Subaru-like awd system and the 4 Lock switch is false advertising... Rant over lol

You are way off... When in 4H the tcase is locked (there is no clutch slip).

Last edited:

HKP7PSP

Reaction score

Exactly, and you will get drive line bind / wind-up if you use 4Hi on high traction terrain like roads and such. I can tell the difference between 4A and 4Hi in mine for sure. 4A has a little bit of chatter and slip-related clutch noise as you make turns, whereas 4Hi will start binding up on turns.

Jayman

Reaction score
I also noticed the drive line will bind up when it’s on 4Hi. Seems to be more locked in than my 2013 Ram was. I had the exact same problem of pushing my ramps across the floor with my 2013 Ram but I have not tried to climb them yet with my new truck.

PMWIGGINS

Reaction score
Electrical,

Thank you for the info! It's nice to see that Ram has attempted to address this (better software). It would be interesting to see how this new T-case would perform under the same conditions as the video and my garage ramp test.

POWER WAGON!!!!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I kept waiting for the video truck to either hit the garage door/walls or scrape/hi-center. Good thing it didn't.
Does show that even with the 22's, the 4WD auto works ok.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
I kept waiting for the video truck to either hit the garage door/walls or scrape/hi-center. Good thing it didn't.
Does show that even with the 22's, the 4WD auto works ok.
Over all, I think the Ram made a fantastic balance with an excellent dry pavement on the road vehicle, and a capable 4 wheel drive set up. Everything is a compromise. My ram tows well, very comfortable on the road handling, and good 4x4 wheel engagement during bad surface conditions. I would not hesitate to buy another Ram with exactly the same set up when it comes time for my wife's 2014 bighorn ram 4x4 to be upgraded.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Over all, I think the Ram made a fantastic balance with an excellent dry pavement on the road vehicle, and a capable 4 wheel drive set up. Everything is a compromise. My ram tows well, very comfortable on the road handling, and good 4x4 wheel engagement during bad surface conditions. I would not hesitate to buy another Ram with exactly the same set up when it comes time for my wife's 2014 bighorn ram 4x4 to be upgraded.
Maybe chime in with your experience/view on the 1500 towing questions/threads posted recently.
I realize you have a 2500 and frankly that’s preferable for most larger units however many here need a comfortable daily driver and just an occasional tow machine, thus the desire to make the 1500’s work. There’s a lot of discussion over gears, wd hitches, air bags, tires and payloads, if you’d care to share your experience it would likely be welcomed.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The guys on the EcoDiesel forum don't like the 44-44 or new 48-11 because even in 4-High or 4-Low there are clutches that keep the driveshafts locked together, and these can potentially slip whereas a chain drive system won't. Also, the clutches build heat they say, which has been known to throw the truck into limp mode.

I had no idea that the 48-11 used clutches even in 4-low until today. Good grief.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The guys on the EcoDiesel forum don't like the 44-44 or new 48-11 because even in 4-High or 4-Low there are clutches that keep the driveshafts locked together, and these can potentially slip whereas a chain drive system won't. Also, the clutches build heat they say, which has been known to throw the truck into limp mode.

I had no idea that the 48-11 used clutches even in 4-low until today. Good grief.
Thia is why the REBEL and the tradesman don't use it

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread