5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 Inch to 8.4 Inch Upgrade

chairmanz

Reaction score
Anyone know if it is possible to upgrade from the 5 inch to the 8.4 inch system?

Tlj 3

Reaction score
I’m wanting to know the same thing! I’m pretty sure it’s a direct swap if we find a non nav 8.4

Ashields85

Reaction score
I’m wanting to know the same thing! I’m pretty sure it’s a direct swap if we find a non nav 8.4

Do you think it would fit directly or would it require a different harness since it’s biggers in dimension?

Tlj 3

Reaction score
From what I see on the back of the radios I see online if we find the 8.4 non nav it should be plug and play. But we will need the dash bezel also.

chairmanz

Reaction score
So I contacted Infotainment and they indicated that they are currently working on both a 8.4" and a 12" upgrade. They said it should be released later this year. It might be worth waiting for the 12" depending on the cost.

Runningwithbeers

Reaction score
I didn't ask the dealers but asked infotainment on Youtube they replied to look for a 12" upgrade by august hmmm let me see if I can quote them.... "Look for 5th Gen Ram Upgrades to start coming in August. We've got the 12-inch touchscreen running. Also digital speedometers are close to being ready for 5th Gen. "

Jbworth86

Reaction score
I bought a 8.4 4C with navi to upgrade my 5in. Are you saying I wont be able to use it because it comes with navi?

Runningwithbeers

Reaction score
I think that's still a bit of an unknown right now. From what I've read on other conversions it sounds like the Navigation was being handled by a seperate module when some were trying to convert 8.4 without nav to 8.4 with nav or even 12 setup with nav. I figured I'd wait till the fall and see what options there were then. If you manage to make it work be sure to let us know what it took.

Last edited:

Jbworth86

Reaction score
So just some background on what kind of truck I have. I have a base model tradesman with the upgraded seat package. Nothing fancy. I already replaced the original steering wheel with one out of a rebal. That was a direct swap and all the buttons work. The only thing I havent tried is the heat function. So i received the 8.4 yesterday and completed the installation. Everything was plug and play. The only thing that wasnt plug and play is the temperature controls. My tradesman doesnt have dual climate and the one I bought did. So I used my original cluster with the screen until my new one comes in. So besides that everything works. Just make sure if your buying one second hand that you get the VIN number from the truck it came off originally. You will need that along with the serial number on the Navi to get the anitheft code from the dealership. I'll post pics once my new temp cluster comes in. Hope this helps some others!

Runningwithbeers

Reaction score
Sounds good with the radio and bezel how much has the swap cost so far? Figured it'd be good to have a ball park to compare it to once the infotainment options are available.

Jbworth86

Reaction score
As of right now I've spent 650 total to include the cost of the new bezel. I plan to sell the extra parts such as the dual climate bezel. So I should be able to recoup a portion of that cost.

Runningwithbeers

Reaction score
Nice deal I was looking during lunch and it looked like it''d be a grand or so (600.00 for the module, 300 for the screen and 150ish for the new bezel) I'll have to keep a lookout for a take off. It almost looked cheaper to go over to 12.1 with some of the take offs that were listed on Ebay.

Jbworth86

Reaction score
Nice deal I was looking during lunch and it looked like it''d be a grand or so (600.00 for the module, 300 for the screen and 150ish for the new bezel) I'll have to keep a lookout for a take off. It almost looked cheaper to go over to 12.1 with some of the take offs that were listed on Ebay.

Going to the 12in is what scares me. Not sure but I heard the 12in takes a different wire harness and it's not plug and play like the 8.4in is.

Jbworth86

Reaction score
So just wanted to give you guys the updated pictures after I received the new bezel today. Everything works perfectly. Next step I'm going to ask the dealership if they can load the app to control the heated steering wheel from the screen. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• 20190417_182133.jpg
    20190417_182133.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 612
  • 20190417_182601.jpg
    20190417_182601.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 675

Runningwithbeers

Reaction score
Nicely done I'll keep it in mind for the fall. You do have me wondering if the heating element is in all the big horn steering wheels or not.

Chief2Dogs

Reaction score
So just wanted to give you guys the updated pictures after I received the new bezel today. Everything works perfectly. Next step I'm going to ask the dealership if they can load the app to control the heated steering wheel from the screen. Let me know what you guys think.
Looks good brother. I've been frustrated with the limited upgraded or afternarket radio options. Now I know the direction I'll take. Thanks for the steering wheel facts too. I'd like to have the radio buttons behind the wheel, but I cant find just the buttons with wiring. I'll prob just swap steering wheels and be done with it. The wife would like the heated steering wheel when she drives her!

chairmanz

Reaction score
Looks good! Did you get the parts off Ebay? Do you have a part number for the bezel?

Beanerxor

Reaction score
So just some background on what kind of truck I have. I have a base model tradesman with the upgraded seat package. Nothing fancy. I already replaced the original steering wheel with one out of a rebal. That was a direct swap and all the buttons work. The only thing I havent tried is the heat function. So i received the 8.4 yesterday and completed the installation. Everything was plug and play. The only thing that wasnt plug and play is the temperature controls. My tradesman doesnt have dual climate and the one I bought did. So I used my original cluster with the screen until my new one comes in. So besides that everything works. Just make sure if your buying one second hand that you get the VIN number from the truck it came off originally. You will need that along with the serial number on the Navi to get the anitheft code from the dealership. I'll post pics once my new temp cluster comes in. Hope this helps some others!
I have the same truck. I agree, could you provide part numbers for what you bought and where? I hate the 5.0.

ramman202

Reaction score
HELLO DOSE ANYONE HAVE THE PART NUMBERS NEED TO DO THE 5 INCH SWAP TO THE 8.4 INCH? I KNOW THIS QUESTION HAS BEEN ASKED BEFORE. CAN ANYONE HELP ?

Users who are viewing this thread