5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7L Sometimes Unusually Very Loud and Bassy

Rmui4305

Reaction score
I have a 2019 5.7L without etorque at about 6,000 miles. I've noticed that sometimes my truck will run in a mode of being VERY loud and very bassy inside the cabin. It sounds somewhat similar to an engine brake/jake brake and behaves similarly as if it had an open or loud exhaust. When it is doing this, the loudness/bassiness would be most amplified at the top half of the RPM range. I had only noticed this phenomenon only when I had a full load (5 adults inside the truck) and usually when descending a grade, so that led me to think it was some type of intentional retarding mechanism.

Today, after wide open throttle, my truck seem to have gotten permanently stuck in this mode. Both speeding up and slowing down. Tow/haul mode seems to make no impact, and it seems to be shifting fine. Just that it is almost disturbingly loud in the top half of the RPM range, almost as if I had an open exhaust or engine brake.

Any thoughts on what this might be?

Rmui4305

Reaction score
Did some digging and it sounds a lot like the Active Noise Control. I guess other people described it as a loud humming sound. It did go away after I cracked a window open.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
Active Noise Control making unusual noises... interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread