5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 Oil temperatures while towing

Cr250Ram

Reaction score
***NOT talking about coolant or trans temps***

I am reading stuff all over the place about oil temps when towing.
-TFL hit, i think it was 290 degrees towing up the Ike with their 3.92 Rebel.
-Another member, on this or another forum, hit over 294 and the trucks AC turned off and started blowing heat out the vents to help cool the truck. He had the diesel though.
-If i recall correctly, I hit 268 towing at 13,000 combined (3.21) up a good grade In 108 dry weather at 55. Driving around town today i was at 222 oil temp.

There is nothing in the manual about oil temps. I understand synthetic oil has a much higher temp rating than dino oil. But, what is the trucks max safe oil temp? Does the truck have a safe limit where you will get warnings on the dash for too hot?

Last edited:

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Truck will go into preservation mode when you get there. Hammer down and don’t worry about it. 280-290 is near the limit.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe sustained >240 is too hot. I know the oil can handle it for short periods, but it gets really thin, wears out the additive pkg more quickly, and is close to limits.

The day the warranty runs out, I’ve got an oil cooler and remote filter/220 thermostat to install...

Redfour5

Reaction score

-Another member, on this or another forum, hit over 294 and the trucks AC turned off and started blowing heat out the vents to help cool the truck. He had the diesel though.
-If i recall correctly, I hit 268 towing at 13,000 combined (3.21) up a good grade In 108 dry weather at 55. Driving around town today i was at 222 oil temp.

There is nothing in the manual about oil temps. I understand synthetic oil has a much higher temp rating than dino oil. But, what is the trucks max safe oil temp? Does the truck have a safe limit where you will get warnings on the dash for too hot?
I have the 3.21 and hit 268/9 on mountains pretty consistently. I think my highest was 272. Based upon my research, this isn't a big deal. Normal driving is around low 230's.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Do you have a link to the TFL video? These guys test their trucks completely different than I drive mine, I would sooner slow down and take another minute up the "ike" and keep my temps inline, instead of trying to get to the top as fast as I can. So I'd like to see how they tested the rebel.

I believe sustained >240 is too hot. I know the oil can handle it for short periods, but it gets really thin, wears out the additive pkg more quickly, and is close to limits.

The day the warranty runs out, I’ve got an oil cooler and remote filter/220 thermostat to install...

I'm interested in your idea there, do you have any details you can share? My truck is under warranty too but I'm less concerned about the warranty and more concerned about having an engine left by the time the warranty ends.

The most I've seen in my truck has been 120 C, but I have not tried towing up a hill anywhere close to the eisenhower tunnel etc.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Do you have a link to the TFL video? These guys test their trucks completely different than I drive mine, I would sooner slow down and take another minute up the "ike" and keep my temps inline, instead of trying to get to the top as fast as I can. So I'd like to see how they tested the rebel.

silver billet

Reaction score
That was an interesting test. The hemi got better MPG, but it also worked harder vs the turbo as can be seen by both RPM's (4500 vs < 3000), and the temperature (275 vs < 230?? hard to see what the turbo was reading, but it didn't look hot at all).

Hate to say it as I'm a huge fan of the N/A, but in terms of power and cooling it appears the turbo beat the hemi pretty bad. In terms of longevity, I have to think the hemi is still the better option, especially if we add some better cooling.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I see the 5.7L Hemi as a good in-between motor compared to the competition offerings from GM & Ford. It's not at the power level of the 6.2L or 3.5L TT, but it's more powerful than the 5.3L & 2.7L TT.

I do wish RAM could come up with a high end engine option in the 1500 class truck, something to compete with both the 6.2L and Ecoboost, not sure if the 6.4L is the answer, a bit less powerful and probably too heavy & fuel thirsty for that application.

silver billet

Reaction score
I see the 5.7L Hemi as a good in-between motor compared to the competition offerings from GM & Ford. It's not at the power level of the 6.2L or 3.5L TT, but it's more powerful than the 5.3L & 2.7L TT.

I do wish RAM could come up with a high end engine option in the 1500 class truck, something to compete with both the 6.2L and Ecoboost, not sure if the 6.4L is the answer, a bit less powerful and probably too heavy & fuel thirsty for that application.

Not the 410 hp 6.4 from the 2500, no, but the 475 HP 6.4 SRT I'd take that. They put it in the Durango a while ago, it boggles the mind that the most useful place to put that SRT, is in a light duty truck. Yet they stuff it in the challenger, durango, grand cherokee all fun cars sure, but Ram ... crickets.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Not the 410 hp 6.4 from the 2500, no, but the 475 HP 6.4 SRT I'd take that. They put it in the Durango a while ago, it boggles the mind that the most useful place to put that SRT, is in a light duty truck. Yet they stuff it in the challenger, durango, grand cherokee all fun cars sure, but Ram ... crickets.

Excellent point on the SRT version. I figure the cost maybe is why they won't, but it would be a nice thing to have for 2023 when the RAM get's it's mid-cycle refresh. The GM trucks came a year early to fix their interiors, but RAM can come out swinging with a major driveline upgrade to keep the momentum going.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The new Grand Wagoneer also get the 6.4L now too (471 hp/ 455 lb-ft)

Redfour5

Reaction score
This is the video that convinced me to go ahead with the 3.21 rear end in the unit I wanted on the lot a Built to Serve... After having a 3.92 for six years I do notice the difference in HOW it toes using the transmission more than the gearing, but I'm fine with it. I notice in the video they are NOT concerned about the oil temps.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
I just went from a 2011 Hemi Ram (392 hp) with 179k miles to this new 2022 Hemi Ram (395hp). This new one easily runs 15*- 20* hotter oil temps compared to the 2011….same engine. Why is this???? When towing 5% grades my 2011 never saw more than 225* on the hottest (90*+) day.

Does anyone know what oil type (Synthetic, Semi-Synthetic or Non-Synthetic) is in the Hemi 5.7 engine FROM the factory ??? I know it calls for 0w20 when changing.

silver billet

Reaction score
I just went from a 2011 Hemi Ram (392 hp) with 179k miles to this new 2022 Hemi Ram (395hp). This new one easily runs 15*- 20* hotter oil temps compared to the 2011….same engine. Why is this???? When towing 5% grades my 2011 never saw more than 225* on the hottest (90*+) day.

Does anyone know what oil type (Synthetic, Semi-Synthetic or Non-Synthetic) is in the Hemi 5.7 engine FROM the factory ??? I know it calls for 0w20 when changing.

It's 5w-20 from the factory and that's what it calls for in the manual. A number of us who tow run full synthetic (not mineral, or even "synthetic blend", has to be 100% synthetic) 5w-30. When temps get that hot, you really need the 30 weight. And regular mineral oil shouldn't be used above 250.

Apparently this is "normal", our 5th gens run hotter (possibly for emissions/mpg reasons) but I don't like it. I plan to put an external oil cooler with a built in thermostat so that it only activates once the oil starts getting past 230 or so. It's not good to attempt to cool it below that as that might interfere with the rest of the cooling system in place.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

That appears to be a typo, they meant C instead of F.

The flashpoint of that oil in this case is 406F: https://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-...oil-full-synthetic-5w-20-6-gal-box/562206_0_0

My favorite is Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W-20, which has a flashpoint of 455F, meets all of Chrysler Requirements and only $25 a gallon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread