5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 hemi w/e etorque fuel mileage

RhodyRam

Reaction score
I live in Houston, with some of the worst traffic you'll find in the states here. Running on 89 oct. Lowest I see is 15mpg when it gets really bad. 16 or 17 on a regular day. I can't tell yet if the start/stop functionality is helping yet, I just bought the truck used with 10k miles on it.

On an open highway I see 18mpg average while at 75mph. Below 60mph I get 23mpg. Below 40mph around the high 20s and low 30s mpg depending on road quality. Also these are all cruise control numbers, I'm seeing a pretty big jump in mpg when it's engaged.

My truck is set up for flat land living though, the engine is broken in already, and I have standard 20s with Blacklion BC86 VORACIO's. Still stock height as well, haven't added a leveling kit yet.

It really is suprising how good the milage has been so far.

Last edited:

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
I guess the general consensus I'm getting from people on here and others in person is that mpg goes up with mileage?

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
What kind of fuel mileage are people getting with their trucks? I'm currently getting about 11 or 12 in town and 14 on highway, flat roads, 75mph. I have just over 3000 on my truck. I've been told the mileage gets better as you put more miles on the engine. Can anybody confirm that?

My Lone Star is similar to yours, just a quad cab instead of crew cab. I usually get 16-17 combined running around town, on a 5,000 mile road trip last fall I averaged over 21. 8,000 miles on it now, but I didn't notice terrible mileage in the beginning or any real improvement after a few thousand miles.

RhodyRam

Reaction score
I guess the general consensus I'm getting from people on here and others in person is that mpg goes up with mileage?

That's what I've heard. But again, it mostly depends where you live, I doubt it will go up much in hilly terrains. Or areas with bad roads. I notice a huge difference with well maintained toll roads and the standard Texas fair of always under construction highway route roads. My numbers I mentioned in the previous post are all the best I've seen in optimal conditions on the former.

The savings I get from driving on the toll roads daily almost entirely pays my bill monthly from the fuel savings, as it also saves me 20 minutes of sitting in traffic.

I've driven the truck about 1000 miles now and reset my avg mpg when I bought it used. It's reading 20.1.

Also I noticed if you idle the truck for periods of time to keep the AC on or remote start it lowers the avg. So take that into consideration too when looking at the computer calculated avgs.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
I am curious on how much of an impact the configuration has. I assume Ram tested a low optioned 3.21 equipped Ram to get the EPA ratings. How much is lost between a Laramie and Rebel? How much does the air suspension affect the highway numbers?

I am waiting on my truck to be built and while I don't expect to get 23 mpg I do expect more than some of these reports of 13 mpg. I assume I will fall somewhere in the middle with a Laramie Sport an 3.92

slimchance

Reaction score
IF you look at my signature and Fuelly numbers on my wife's truck, you can see what to expect on a Laramie Sport 3.92

RAM309702

Reaction score
I have 2019 larmie longhorn 5.7 with etorque and 4wd. I have about 14000 on it already. I do travel about 35 mile each way to work about a 40/60 split hwy city. it appears I get around 14 city and we hit 19+ Hwy ( reading says 19.4 this morning after drive to work and 200 mile trip for weekend). I will add I do have a heavy foot getting on hwy from old days of driving charger scat pack. It started crappy but seems once broke in did a lot better on mileage

How fast do you drive on the highway? If I am at 79 my average is 15 -- if I drop that to 75 its better, and 70 is better as well.

Benhonda

Reaction score
At 72 mph, 91 non ethanol, hills terrain, syn oil

Attachments

• 20190321_123856.jpg
    20190321_123856.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 40

Users who are viewing this thread