5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 Engine Oil Change, 2,950k, Added Fumoto Valve

Pedja

Reaction score
No, the oil and filter only takes up about 1/2 of the container so it gives you room to maneuver around the frame brace and other obstacles without any oil spilling out. Definitely works on 4th gen so I'm hoping there's no other new obstacles on the 5th gen. I'll find out next month when I do my first oil change.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Use this
Mopar Accessories Oil Filter Relocation Kit 5.7L/6.1L Hemi

Part Number: 293-53021610AFK

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're having trouble removing the filter the ol' hammer and screw driver trick works wonders. Hammer a screw driver into the filter, and use the screw driver as leverage to remove the filter. Worked like a charm on my Hummer.
My filter was on so tight that it took me 2 hours to change yesterday. I honestly don't care about getting oil on the sway bar, so I didn't put in a fumoto valve, but holy sheet I will probably relocate that filter. The gorilla that put my filter on had it on so tight I destroyed the filter trying to get it off. I've never once had to use a filter wrench in my 20 years of working on vehicles and changing my own oil, but I had to go buy one yesterday. I first tried the screwdriver through the filter, started shearing the filter. Then said F it, hammered my breaker bar through that thing, and IT started shearing the filter too. Guys, no joke, I spent 20 minutes after I bought the filter wrench straining and struggling just to get it to loosen the tiniest amount.

Hand snug, then quarter turn. A QUARTER TURN YOU *******. After having 11 quarts of oil put into my Titan (didn't drain, just filled more) not once, but TWICE, there's a reason I don't let the somewhat-trained monkeys work on my vehicles.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score

jmac

Reaction score
I had to fight my filter off the first time as well. I found getting to it from the front of the engine is a lot easier. no more hassles.

Big3MG

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Jeep GC Trailhawk with a 5.7L and it takes the same filter as my 2020 RAM 5.7L. The Jeep filter is mounted in the same location but has an adaptor that has the filter tilted down and forward at 45 degrees and is easily accessible. I wonder if the Jeep OEM adaptor would fit the RAM since it’s the same engine?

Big3MG

Reaction score
Molar says this adaptor has been discontinued. Would have been a great solution.

Attachments

• C9388221-691F-4C67-BF72-7C0E7DC101D9.jpeg
    C9388221-691F-4C67-BF72-7C0E7DC101D9.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 84

Big3MG

Reaction score
I found that the 2019 Jeep GC 5.7L (Trailhawk) has a adaptor bracket that is available as a kit with seals, but for the Jeep 5.7 uses a smaller threaded adaptor to use the smaller filter due to clearance with radiator hose. Diagram and part number is attached below.

Attachments

• 955D6F07-DFC0-4827-AC93-E5CC00B65CE6.jpeg
    955D6F07-DFC0-4827-AC93-E5CC00B65CE6.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 49

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
I was reading the directions on those before , and it seems you have to get rid of the oil cooler in order to install it. Not too keen on doing that.

gjm17017

Reaction score
I always put Fumoto valves on all my vehicles at first oil change. I really enjoy doing my own oil changes. I do like to keep it neat and easy. Heard about these RAM's with 5.7 being a bugger. Had no issue with draining oil. Did have a little trouble with filter, it got a little twisted during removal. Used a gallon size ziplock bag to catch oil from filter. I don't believe I got a single drop on ground. Filter not in good location on the 5.7 View attachment 39347 View attachment 39348 View attachment 39349 View attachment 39350 . I usually change oil somewhere between 4k-6k miles with full synthetic. I think I am going to start changing oil filter every other oil change on this RAM. I have never done that before, heard about it years ago.
I always put Fumoto valves on all my vehicles at first oil change. I really enjoy doing my own oil changes. I do like to keep it neat and easy. Heard about these RAM's with 5.7 being a bugger. Had no issue with draining oil. Did have a little trouble with filter, it got a little twisted during removal. Used a gallon size ziplock bag to catch oil from filter. I don't believe I got a single drop on ground. Filter not in good location on the 5.7 View attachment 39347 View attachment 39348 View attachment 39349 View attachment 39350 . I usually change oil somewhere between 4k-6k miles with full synthetic. I think I am going to start changing oil filter every other oil change on this RAM. I have never done that before, heard about it years ago.

Any issues with this since install? No clearance issues with the sway bar?

Thank you in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread