5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 Engine Oil Change, 2,950k, Added Fumoto Valve

DennisY

Reaction score
I have an oil filter relocation kit that I will install during my next oil change. When I get it done, I will take pictures and supply part numbers. Hopefully it will work out better.

Yes, please keep us posted on the relocation kit. I did my first oil change today. Installed the Fumoto valve (no issues there) but whoever engineered that oil filter location should be shot! I used the baggy "trick" suggested elsewhere but still wound up with quite a bit of oil all over things. As someone mentioned, you essentially have to turn the filter sideways to get it out, which meant in my case, dumping much of the oil from the baggy all over things. Not to mention that I chewed up my arms reaching up in there to get that friggin' filter out. I don't know that I will want to fool with doing an oil change myself unless I am also putting in a filter relocation kit.

Smerberj

Reaction score
If you're having trouble removing the filter the ol' hammer and screw driver trick works wonders. Hammer a screw driver into the filter, and use the screw driver as leverage to remove the filter. Worked like a charm on my Hummer.

Lit_AF

Hardware Geek - Pro Detailer
Reaction score
Was happy to get the truck with 5 year free service from the dealer.
The whole under side was dripping of oil, from axle boots to cross member you name it.
We need that relocation filter ASAP fellas. :)

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't t done my 19 Rebel yet but can I assume it is same as 4th gen? If so I used to use 2 liter soda bottle and cut in half. I would break filter loose, then place bottom half of soda bottle over filter, then slowly. Spin filter off and oil would drain in to soda bottle and eventually filter would also drop into soda bottle. I would then cafefully remove soda bottle, I usually get no more than a drop if any as long as I don't rush.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

DennisY

Reaction score
I haven't t done my 19 Rebel yet but can I assume it is same as 4th gen? If so I used to use 2 liter soda bottle and cut in half. I would break filter loose, then place bottom half of soda bottle over filter, then slowly. Spin filter off and oil would drain in to soda bottle and eventually filter would also drop into soda bottle. I would then cafefully remove soda bottle, I usually get no more than a drop if any as long as I don't rush.
That would assume a clear path straight down (or close to it) from the filter. I didn't have that kind of clearance on mine.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That would assume a clear path straight down (or close to it) from the filter. I didn't have that kind of clearance on mine.
No, the oil and filter only takes up about 1/2 of the container so it gives you room to maneuver around the frame brace and other obstacles without any oil spilling out. Definitely works on 4th gen so I'm hoping there's no other new obstacles on the 5th gen. I'll find out next month when I do my first oil change.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
Got my filter relocation kit installed today. Not a terribly hard thing to do. I will post pics and part numbers with this post. Mounted the filter towards the front and it gives me PLENTY of room to get to it easily. I used the toggle bolts to install versus the screws that came with the kit. Bolts were bought at Lowes. Finished the job up and 0 leaks. Will keep an eye on it the next few weeks to just to make sure there are no problems.

20200222_142606.jpg 20200222_142636.jpg 20200222_145436.jpg 20200222_155039.jpg 20200222_163622.jpg 20200222_163750.jpg

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, the oil and filter only takes up about 1/2 of the container so it gives you room to maneuver around the frame brace and other obstacles without any oil spilling out. Definitely works on 4th gen so I'm hoping there's no other new obstacles on the 5th gen. I'll find out next month when I do my first oil change.
On 4WD models—at least on my configuration—you need to remove the filter in a nearly horizontal motion towards the front of the truck. There’s no vertical clearance to drop it downwards.

DennisY

Reaction score
On 4WD models—at least on my configuration—you need to remove the filter in a nearly horizontal motion towards the front of the truck. There’s no vertical clearance to drop it downwards.

That's exactly what I found weekend before last. I wasn't happy about that.

DennisY

Reaction score
Got my filter relocation kit installed today. Not a terribly hard thing to do. I will post pics and part numbers with this post. Mounted the filter towards the front and it gives me PLENTY of room to get to it easily. I used the toggle bolts to install versus the screws that came with the kit. Bolts were bought at Lowes. Finished the job up and 0 leaks. Will keep an eye on it the next few weeks to just to make sure there are no problems.

View attachment 47390 View attachment 47391 View attachment 47392 View attachment 47393 View attachment 47394 View attachment 47395

Awesome! According to the box in the picture, that is a Derale 15727 kit. According to reviews, people have had trouble with leaks but you got it right on the first try. I can't tell from your pics where you mounted it. Can you describe it? I'm sure I can find a place but am interested in what you decided on.

Are you worried the toggle bolts will rust? Those aren't normally made for outdoor use. Perhaps you purchased stainless steel?

I see that this kit uses the ubiquitous "Ford" PH8 oil filter, which many say is a great filter. Seemingly it would be better than the small filter RAM put on these trucks. I can't imagine that the OEM filter is a problem (think future warranty issues if it were!) but the PH8 has been around a long time and I don't remember reading of issues with it.

Did you note your before and after oil pressure?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's probably the difference, on my 4th gen it was 2wd and I only had to go on a 45 degree angle to remove, the 4wd must present some new obstacles requiring a more horizontal approach to remove. That stinks!!!

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
Awesome! According to the box in the picture, that is a Derale 15727 kit. According to reviews, people have had trouble with leaks but you got it right on the first try. I can't tell from your pics where you mounted it. Can you describe it? I'm sure I can find a place but am interested in what you decided on.

I mounted it forward of the stock location, on the frame rail.

Are you worried the toggle bolts will rust? Those aren't normally made for outdoor use. Perhaps you purchased stainless steel?

I honestly didn't think of them rusting. I used these to mount the bed rail in my truck. I wasn't at all happy with the stock bolts and nuts they provided for install.

I see that this kit uses the ubiquitous "Ford" PH8 oil filter, which many say is a great filter. Seemingly it would be better than the small filter RAM put on these trucks. I can't imagine that the OEM filter is a problem (think future warranty issues if it were!) but the PH8 has been around a long time and I don't remember reading of issues with it.

I wasn't sure what filter to use, I brought the adapter to Auto Zone and just started screwing filters on in all honesty. This filter is indeed larger than the stock one. I also took into account the extra hose and larger filter so i added 1/2 quart extra to my oil change.

Did you note your before and after oil pressure?

I didn't note the before pressure, I didn't have that gauge set up in my cluster. I do now, and under normal conditions it is just over the 1/2 way mark.

Lit_AF

Hardware Geek - Pro Detailer
Reaction score

Normally speaking, it's a very minor drop around 5-6 PSI.
I've had bad luck with hoses on barbs get loose before.
Maybe some pressed stainless lines with perhaps -AN10 fittings? :sneaky:

Clean job man!

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
Normally speaking, it's a very minor drop around 5-6 PSI.
I've had bad luck with hoses on barbs get loose before.
Maybe some pressed stainless lines with perhaps -AN10 fittings? :sneaky:

Clean job man!
I wasn't really happy about the barbs either. I would have liked to put a threaded 90, but there wouldn't have been a way to turn them. The 2 holes are too close together to do that. I appreciate the input.

warmmilk

Reaction score
Yes, please keep us posted on the relocation kit. I did my first oil change today. Installed the Fumoto valve (no issues there) but whoever engineered that oil filter location should be shot! I used the baggy "trick" suggested elsewhere but still wound up with quite a bit of oil all over things. As someone mentioned, you essentially have to turn the filter sideways to get it out, which meant in my case, dumping much of the oil from the baggy all over things. Not to mention that I chewed up my arms reaching up in there to get that friggin' filter out. I don't know that I will want to fool with doing an oil change myself unless I am also putting in a filter relocation kit.

looks like you figured out why that engineer that designed the filter location was given a bonus.

View attachment 47390 View attachment 47391 View attachment 47392 View attachment 47393 View attachment 47394 View attachment 47395

do you think you can post a pic of the other side of the kit? where the filter originally bolted to?

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
looks like you figured out why that engineer that designed the filter location was given a bonus.

do you think you can post a pic of the other side of the kit? where the filter originally bolted to?
I can do that this afternoon when I get home.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score

Here you go warmmilk.

Attachments

• Filter 1.jpg
    Filter 1.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 275
  • Filter 2.jpg
    Filter 2.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 272
  • Filter 3.jpg
    Filter 3.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 270

Users who are viewing this thread