5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4x2 to 4x4 Conversion

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x2.
I paid it off and plan to keep it until it croaks. If I can source the parts for 4x4 (after I figure out what they are), is it possible to turn the feature on using AlfaOBD?
Feels like it might be a waste of time and money, but I like challenges.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I paid it off and plan to keep it until it croaks. If I can source the parts for 4x4 (after I figure out what they are), is it possible to turn the feature on using AlfaOBD?
Better of trading it for a 4x4. You would probably be $10k, minimum, just for the parts. At that point you could swap into a 4x4, and maybe even get some extra option you don't have in your truck now. It's one thing to like a challenge, but at some point you just have to realize it's not worth it.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Better of trading it for a 4x4. You would probably be $10k, minimum, just for the parts. At that point you could swap into a 4x4, and maybe even get some extra option you don't have in your truck now. It's one thing to like a challenge, but at some point you just have to realize it's not worth it.
well that’s a bummer. Just paid it off so I’m not really looking to get a new one. Guess I’ll just be happy.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Agreed, better selling and buying a 4x4, probably save you money in the long run and better long term resale should you change your mind in the future. A converted 4x4 will probably turn off a lot of potential buyers.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
well like others said, better off getting a new truck with 4x4.

However, if you're up to the challenge, I'll give you a big one:
Do the 2500 Solid Axle swap front and rear (Dana 60s) with front and rear locker and sway bar disconnect. Basically the challenge I have for you is to put a power wagon 4x4 system in a 1500 lol

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Obvious parts needed:
Front Axle
Wheel Hubs
Front Driveshaft
Transfer Case
Rear Driveshaft

Interior knobs/buttons

Might need :
Replacement transmission with a transfer case output
Front suspension (are 4*4 springs set at a different rate?)

Front and rear gear ratios must match.

If this was an older project truck, I'd cheer you on, especially the idea of a SAS from a 2500 for a 1500 Power Wagon. In this case, you've been given sage advice to look to trade for a 4*4.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like others said, probably better just to trade for a 4x4 truck. Or if your dead set on keep what you have, you could gain a decent amount of traction but simply adding a rear locker to your current truck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Obvious parts needed:
Front Axle
Wheel Hubs
Front Driveshaft
Transfer Case
Rear Driveshaft

Interior knobs/buttons

Might need :

If this was an older project truck, I'd cheer you on, especially the idea of a SAS from a 2500 for a 1500 Power Wagon. In this case, you've been given sage advice to look to trade for a 4*4.
Add to that list, on top of definitely need transmission

Engine oil pan
Possibly engine mounts, cross members, pretty sure the lower control arms are different on 4wd, steering knuckle/hubs

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used to have an old 2wd 98 Silverado. I re-visited the job & costs of converting to 4WD more times than I should admit. The numbers never ever made sense, even with junkyard parts and DIY. That was well before the complexity of a modern vehicle.

If I could've found another 5.7 V8 5 speed manual I'd have swapped trucks, but never could.

So, I simply learned to drive a 2wd truck through 7 Colorado winters. Not so bad!
Good tires still look me everywhere I wanted to go off road.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I used to have an old 2wd 98 Silverado. I re-visited the job & costs of converting to 4WD more times than I should admit. The numbers never ever made sense, even with junkyard parts and DIY. That was well before the complexity of a modern vehicle.

If I could've found another 5.7 V8 5 speed manual I'd have swapped trucks, but never could.

So, I simply learned to drive a 2wd truck through 7 Colorado winters. Not so bad!
One of my dad's philosophies is if he can't get there in 2wd, he doesn't need to be there. And you can get into enough trouble with just 2wd.

And he's never owned a 4x4 truck. Closest he has come was an AWD Chevy Equinox for my mom to drive.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Engine oil pan
Possibly engine mounts, cross members, pretty sure the lower control arms are different on 4wd, steering knuckle/hubs
I’d have to search part numbers, but there’s a possibility the frames are different also. IIRC, there are 12 different frame part numbers available for the ‘19-23 ram 1500. I don’t know which ones are superseded numbers of the same frame though.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yea, I had a couple 2wd trucks in Ohio, never got stuck. It's the best way to learn out to drive, a rwd vehicle in winter. That said it is nice to have the luxury of 4wd.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yea, I had a couple 2wd trucks in Ohio, never got stuck. It's the best way to learn out to drive, a rwd vehicle in winter. That said it is nice to have the luxury of 4wd.
Ill take rwd in the snow with snow tires vs awd\4wd with all seasons any day.
I guess that depends if you want to drive in mud or something odd offroad though.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
well like others said, better off getting a new truck with 4x4.

However, if you're up to the challenge, I'll give you a big one:
Do the 2500 Solid Axle swap front and rear (Dana 60s) with front and rear locker and sway bar disconnect. Basically the challenge I have for you is to put a power wagon 4x4 system in a 1500 lol
thats what i wanna do in my rebel. 🤣

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Obvious parts needed:
Front Axle
Wheel Hubs
Front Driveshaft
Transfer Case
Rear Driveshaft

Interior knobs/buttons

Might need :

Engine oil pan

I’d have to search part numbers, but there’s a possibility the frames are different also. IIRC, there are 12 different frame part numbers available for the ‘19-23 ram 1500. I don’t know which ones are superseded numbers of the same frame though.
So basically buy all the parts needed to build a 4x4 truck from scratch except the seat, driver's side door handle and glove box.

You're practically. 000467% done already!

Dewey

Reaction score
Sounds like a nightmare. Trade er’ in for a 4x4 and never look back.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jinx!!

Users who are viewing this thread