5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD won’t engage, 2019 ram 1500

krazene

Reaction score
I am in the south, it is 71 degrees and my 2019 ram 1500 will not engage 4wd low.

Jeff1322

Reaction score
I am in the south, it is 71 degrees and my 2019 ram 1500 will not engage 4wd low.
I had to be towed out of a boat launch this summer because my 4WD would not engage. Took it to the dealer and they could not find the problem and said it was just stuck because I haven't used it enough. The dealer said I have to put it in 4WD monthly to keep it working properly. It is now winter with snow covered roads and the 4WD works fine. Go figure.

RC Turner

Reaction score
The dealer said I have to put it in 4WD monthly to keep it working properly.

I was told this when I bought my first 4WD back in 1985. I don't think most dealers even think about this anymore. I am in rural Minnesota and I think they are more aware of these procedures and to this day my dealer will occasionally mention it.

bigken

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a 2019 ram 1500 I just bought. Has 40k miles. We got ice today and so I throw it in 4wd auto and it won’t engage, says to retry. I’ve tried cycling it like other threads have said. It won’t engage 4low 4high or 4auto. Please help! Going to see the dealer tomorrow but I’d really like to fix this
What did you find out

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was told this when I bought my first 4WD back in 1985. I don't think most dealers even think about this anymore. I am in rural Minnesota and I think they are more aware of these procedures and to this day my dealer will occasionally mention it.
I’ll put mine in 4wd High sometimes whenever it’s raining just to make sure it still works.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A lot of good stuff.
1. Use ALL 4wd options about once a month, even if it's just for a few yards. Keep those actuators lubed and moving.
2. A manual override would be an OUTSTANDING addition.

TatoAlto27

Reaction score
What did it cost you altogether?

Im having the same problem and from what i read, im hoping its the same thing and not something worse?
Ive heard about a recall on some 2019 transfer case so im not sure what it is. Unfortunately the dealer will not have an appointment till feb 21. A month from now
Whats going on,
I know its been awhile but ever get an answer to this?

Cdog2505

Reaction score
i have a 2019 rebel that also would not go into 4wd. I replaced the 4x4 actuator.

Cost: 132 dollars from Car quest. "Auto Zone"
Repair Time: 20 mins.

Dealer wanted 950 dollars would need my truck for 2 days! Truck is running great. Shifts in and out of 4x4 like a charm!!!

jonfav306

Reaction score
Just to add to the mix; seems like the majority of us with this issue just needed a new actuator. I did it myself as well, because the dealer wanted almost $1k for it. I’ve also been told by a few to engage and “use” the system regularly. The little solenoid in the actuator seems to be the failure point majority of the time.

kromer

Reaction score
I read somewhere that the truck will only recognize factory parts (Mopar), anybody have thoughts on this? I replaced my actuator with Dorman brand and I can hear the actuator shifting but the light on the button blinks for a while before codes come up.

Users who are viewing this thread