5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD won’t engage, 2019 ram 1500

Ajwood405

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a 2019 ram 1500 I just bought. Has 40k miles. We got ice today and so I throw it in 4wd auto and it won’t engage, says to retry. I’ve tried cycling it like other threads have said. It won’t engage 4low 4high or 4auto. Please help! Going to see the dealer tomorrow but I’d really like to fix this

Waitforit0045

Reaction score
I had something similar happen around 35k miles. Not sure if this is the same issue you are having without pics of the error but when I put it in 4H or 4L the shifter would act up and the transfer case would go back to 2H along with getting an error on the display.

I took it to the dealer and turns out there were some outdated codes that needed to be updated. 20k miles later I have not seen that issue again.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ajwood405

Reaction score
I had something similar happen around 35k miles. Not sure if this is the same issue you are having without pics of the error but when I put it in 4H or 4L the shifter would act up and the transfer case would go back to 2H along with getting an error on the display.

I took it to the dealer and turns out there were some outdated codes that needed to be updated. 20k miles later I have not seen that issue again.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks man. I’m trying to figure this out but not much knowledge on vehicles. I’m taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully it’s quick and easy cause this is my first big purchase and I’m trippin

saylor

Reaction score
lol i asked you in the other thread if it happened to be cold where you were and you didnt reply that i saw.

im gettin the feeling these things dont work in the cold.

theres lots of posts about it. see more every day.

Ajwood405

Reaction score
lol i asked you in the other thread if it happened to be cold where you were and you didnt reply that i saw.

Yeah it’s about 23 degrees. I’ve seen quite a few threads as well, just haven’t gotten any of the tricks to work

saylor

Reaction score

saylor

Reaction score
ill tell ya what, coming out of a 2015 1500 crew cab, its like dodge took everything they ever knew about building a truck and threw it in the trash.

exposed wires in the wheelwells. connectors full of water. ramboxes popping open. 4wd not engaging because its too cold. water leaks at the shark anteanna. water leaks at the brake light. cruddy sound systems. boomy echo-ey air chamber holes behind the seats.

chirpy brakes. uncut zip ties in the frame squeaking.

the list can go on...

Ajwood405

Reaction score

How do you cycle? Cause i start at 4low and it just blinks for the longest. I’ve tried it in neutral, park drive everything

saylor

Reaction score
i think you got to get it to somewhere warmer.

i asked the dude in canada to get it into a barn or somewhere and he never came back.

but he said he was REAL far out. like would have to light a fire to make heat.

but if you have the means - see if you can get the truck warm. then see if it magically works.

i want to see if im on to somethin.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ill tell ya what, coming out of a 2015 1500 crew cab, its like dodge took everything they ever knew about building a truck and threw it in the trash.

exposed wires in the wheelwells. connectors full of water. ramboxes popping open. 4wd not engaging because its too cold. water leaks at the shark anteanna. water leaks at the brake light. cruddy sound systems. boomy echo-ey air chamber holes behind the seats.

the list can go on...
don't forget the rear doors that won't latch when it's cold out....grrrrr...this list is exactly why I leased my first Ram instead of buying

Husky_max

Reaction score

the list can go on...

Saw a lot of tiny exposed wires under the car/next to the wheel base. Really need to put some electric tape on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saylor

Reaction score
im just blown away by it. and theres a post from just the other day where dudes park sensor got took out by a ice clump.

i go off roading. i run over small trees and crap. i should be able to in a 4x4.

these new gen trucks aint gonna make it between all the electronics and the way its wired.

Ajwood405

Reaction score
Alright fellas, it was a simple fix. They said the actuator needed to be replaced. Going to pick it up today.

rhinozeroone

Reaction score
I just had this problem. They had to update the software and replace the actuator. It works like a champ now.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A manual override would be nice. This is the kind of thing you find out isn't working when you need it the most

Reactions: c3k

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am imprerssed you could get it right into the dealer, have them diagnosis it, repair it correctly, and get back to you in a couple of days!

Ajwood405

Reaction score
Here is a copy of the report. I bought the truck Friday and I believe that’s why they got me in so quickly. Seems ECU and Actuator is the culprit most of the time

Attachments

• 52ADD581-4D8E-4929-BF45-64D140340461.jpeg
    52ADD581-4D8E-4929-BF45-64D140340461.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 175

Ramnovice2019

Reaction score
I just had this problem. They had to update the software and replace the actuator. It works like a champ now.
What did it cost you altogether?

Im having the same problem and from what i read, im hoping its the same thing and not something worse?
Ive heard about a recall on some 2019 transfer case so im not sure what it is. Unfortunately the dealer will not have an appointment till feb 21. A month from now

Users who are viewing this thread