5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4wd shifting

Night Rebel

Reaction score
So I was driving down the road and went to stop at a red light and as I do a lot I went to turn off the start/stop and I noticed the I was in 4wd high. I don’t know when I would have hit the button. So my question is can you shift into 4wd high moving down the road? I always shift it at a stop in neutral. I didn’t hear a shift over the music. ???

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I was driving down the road and went to stop at a red light and as I do a lot I went to turn off the start/stop and I noticed the I was in 4wd high. I don’t know when I would have hit the button. So my question is can you shift into 4wd high moving down the road? I always shift it at a stop in neutral. I didn’t hear a shift over the music. ???

Yep No problems. I think you want to do it going 25mph or less if shifting on the fly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Oh yeah you can even shift in to 4 hi on the highway. I did it all the time in my two winters with my previous 2019 Ram. Out of respect I did try to slow to at least 50mph though ;)

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If the roads are a low traction condition you can shift into 4wd high at speed. The computer will not let the shift happen until it is safe.

I would recommend not being over 45 but you probably wont be driving faster if it is bad out.

If you are driving down the interstste at 70 and it gets squirley I would make that shift.

4 low is the one that you need to be in neutral coasting 2 to 5 mph to make the shift.

Cease11

Reaction score
I accidentally shifted on the hwy going 90. I didn’t even know when it happened must of hit it with my knee. Luckily i was just going straight. I was googling for a while to see if any damage might of been done. This was last month and till this day I haven’t seen anything wrong

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I accidentally shifted on the hwy going 90. I didn’t even know when it happened must of hit it with my knee. Luckily i was just going straight. I was googling for a while to see if any damage might of been done. This was last month and till this day I haven’t seen anything wrong
Yikes!!!

Icecoldak

Reaction score
basically you can put it 4WD at any time you want---just dont be spinning the tires or under heavy load!!! I have switched mine into 4WA/4WD any speeds 40-50-60-70- it just works!!

Users who are viewing this thread