5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4wd shifter issue

afarsid

Reaction score
Hi All,
For the past year, I've been having on and off problems shifting into 4wd. When I first had this issue, I was still under powertrain warranty sitting at about 55k miles. I would try to shift into 4WD and got an error code. My dealer said that the front differential actuator was faulty so they replaced it. I tested the shifter when I first picked up the truck and it seemed "ok", but 2 months later when I tried testing it again it failed to shift . I raised the issue with my dealer and he said there was no code this time so he's not sure what was causing it. When I was finally able to get him to address it, he said the truck was no longer under warranty and they would only cover the repair if it was the same part as before that was causing the issue. After the truck sat at the dealer for a day, he told me that they believe its the same part so they won't be charging me a diagnosis fee and would fix it for me for free. THe next day, after they replaced the same part they called me to tell me that the issue wasn't fixed and it would cost me $189 for a diagnosis fee and $963 to replace the "transfer case actuator". It seemed unfair to me that they never fully addressed the issue in the first place and that I was still having issues (despite being out of warranty now). So I picked up my truck and contacted Ram Cares to see if they would make it right. They are offering to make it right, but oddly the dealer told them that it's a "transfer case switch" issue - a $930 repair. This is not what they communicated to me, so I feel like the dealer is being dishonest. On top of that, when I picked up my car the most recent visit I noticed that the engine/powertrain sounded off . I can't put my finger on it, nor do I have the experience to say what the issue is- but can someone take a listen and tell me what they think might be the problem??

When I have him address the shifter again, I'm going to raise the issue- but knowing that they're not trustworthy got me worried about what he'll say/deny/etc..

I'm driving a 2019 Ram 1500, 5.7L Hemi

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread