5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD problem

lHaZze

Reaction score
So, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I was wanting to ask some questions about the 4wd. I just bought my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie about three days ago. I was wanting to test the 4wd and it takes forever and will only engage in 4wd high, I can't get 4wd low or auto or neutral to work. Anything I could be doing wrong?

I put the transmission on N and select 4wd low and then go into DRIVE like I'm supposed too and it just says 4wd shift in progress. First time i tried it said service 4wd. How long does it take it to shift to 4wd in your trucks? I appreciate everyone who reads this!

spaightlabs

Reaction score
The shifts are very fast into 4wd auto and 4wd high. A little slower into 4wd lo but still not exactly slow.

Try it again and if not satisfactory return to dealer for service.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
4 auto is not the same as full-time four wheel drive, What it does is put the shift from 2WD to 4WD in a computer's hands, so to speak. If the rears spin, the front engages. Otherwise, you'll be in 2WD. There is no differential action in the case, so its either 2 or 4-lock. If you were testing it on a surface with good traction, you wouldn't feel a difference between 2WD and 4 auto because it wouldn't shift out of 2. If the light on the dash says 4 Auto, it's engaged.

4HI should be pretty much instant, at any speed. Within seconds. 4LO needs to be rolling slowly in Neutral. Real slow, in my experience. And hold the button in, not just push it once.

Transfer case in Neutral requires a pen or something thin to push on that little recessed button. I haven't tried it myself, just read it in the manual.

spaightlabs

Reaction score
4 auto is not the same as full-time four wheel drive, What it does is put the shift from 2WD to 4WD in a computer's hands, so to speak. If the rears spin, the front engages. Otherwise, you'll be in 2WD. There is no differential action in the case, so its either 2 or 4-lock. If you were testing it on a surface with good traction, you wouldn't feel a difference between 2WD and 4 auto because it wouldn't shift out of 2. If the light on the dash says 4 Auto, it's engaged.

4HI should be pretty much instant, at any speed. Within seconds. 4LO needs to be rolling slowly in Neutral. Real slow, in my experience. And hold the button in, not just push it once.

Transfer case in Neutral requires a pen or something thin to push on that little recessed button. I haven't tried it myself, just read it in the manual.

Yeah but...

the 4wd auto light sold come on immdiately.

AndreiV

Reaction score
No need to shift to N to switch driving modes. As you drive just press the selector and N will flash and it will switch into needed mode. You can switch between 2W, 4H, 4 auto at any speed given you let go throttle a bit, going uphill for example it won't shift.

lHaZze

Reaction score
The light comes on but it just flashes and says SERV 4WD. If i try it while I am driving, it says the same but if I stop, it just says switching gears or something and doesn't ever switch. I feel like I would know if its on. 2wd stays lit but the others just flash when I try to switch them. Thanks for the replies!

AndreiV

Reaction score
The light comes on but it just flashes and says SERV 4WD. If i try it while I am driving, it says the same but if I stop, it just says switching gears or something and doesn't ever switch. I feel like I would know if its on. 2wd stays lit but the others just flash when I try to switch them. Thanks for the replies!
Well good luck bro, take it to a dealer for service. May be try battery reset/disconnect just in case. May be it will reset itself.

Also, check all grounds in the engine bay, 5 grounds, make sure they are not loose.

Last edited:

lHaZze

Reaction score
Well good luck bro, take it to a dealer for service. May be try battery reset/disconnect just in case. May be it will reset itself.

Also, check all grounds in the engine bay, 5 grounds, make sure they are not loose.
That's what I plan to do Monday, thank you, sir!

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Good luck. Hope you get it worked out quickly. Let us know how you make out.

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Do it within 60 days of purchase.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle or that you traded in a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I wouldn't disconnect the battery. You'll erase any temporary codes that may be stored which might help with the diagnosis. You might also mess with some U-connect apps although they generally come back after a few hours from what I've read here.

Jrobby

Reaction score
So, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I was wanting to ask some questions about the 4wd. I just bought my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie about three days ago. I was wanting to test the 4wd and it takes forever and will only engage in 4wd high, I can't get 4wd low or auto or neutral to work. Anything I could be doing wrong?

I put the transmission on N and select 4wd low and then go into DRIVE like I'm supposed too and it just says 4wd shift in progress. First time i tried it said service 4wd. How long does it take it to shift to 4wd in your trucks? I appreciate everyone who reads this!
Did you ever get this problem resolved, mine is doing the same thing ? TIA

KelleyJohns

Reaction score
Our truck is doing this too.. started with the 4wheel not shifting in about a month ago and now it will not shift out of 1st gear… all sorts of dash lights flashing, going to try to limb into dealer on Monday … ugh

MikeHancho

Reaction score
So I have run into something extremely similar on my 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie this morning. It is snowpocalypse 2022 in Texas. 23 degrees out. I initially tried to shift into 4-Auto on the fly and the selector light and the light on the dash just kept blinking. Eventually it times out and Serv 4WD pops up. This also happens with the other 4WD modes. Good thing is, I can go back to 2WD just fine with no issues. I've placed it in N and tried cycling through like some suggest and I still get the blinks and Serv 4WD. Here's the weird thing; when I'm in N and I hit 4-Low, I can feel it lock and get the nice little jolt when I put it in D or R so I know I'm locked. I'm almost 100% positive it is simply the display lights. Has anyone else run into this and know of a fix? I disconnected the battery and still the same thing. I'm thinking a dealer software upgrade? Any advice y'all have I would greatly appreciate it!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Maybe get under the truck and check the electrical connectors for corrosion. Also make sure all the pins are seated into the housings, and making good connection. Other than that I got nothing.

MikeHancho

Reaction score
Maybe get under the truck and check the electrical connectors for corrosion. Also make sure all the pins are seated into the housings, and making good connection. Other than that I got nothing.
Thanks for the reply, Mikeru82! I forgot to mention I even got underneath and checked everything out. I thought maybe just maybe the actuator wiring harness was out or loose. Nope. Everything still looks dang near brand new!!!

1999&2020 RAM

Reaction score
Similar problem on my 2020 Ram. The dealer changed the front axle actuator and now 4wd works as intended.

Users who are viewing this thread