5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD on Soft Sand w/Nitrofill

Rjhagner

Reaction score
This weekend I'll be taking my new Longhorn on the NC beach for the first time. (actually everything I do is 1st time since I only have 100 mi on the truck ;).
When I've taken my 2010 Audi Q5 on the sand, I'd reduce tire pressure. Is that necessary on this truck.? The reason I ask is that I received the truck with Nitrofill in the tires and hate the idea of letting out expensive air (and its a hassle....). I have all-season 20" tires.

Also, should I use 4WD Lo and e-lock on soft sand?

Thanks for any advice/experiences you've had on the beach!

kittyjo

Reaction score
Please let me know how that goes I’m from Greensboro haha and going to outer banks in the short future.... beach fishing

warmachine

Reaction score
This weekend I'll be taking my new Longhorn on the NC beach for the first time. (actually everything I do is 1st time since I only have 100 mi on the truck ;).
When I've taken my 2010 Audi Q5 on the sand, I'd reduce tire pressure. Is that necessary on this truck.? The reason I ask is that I received the truck with Nitrofill in the tires and hate the idea of letting out expensive air (and its a hassle....). I have all-season 20" tires.

Thanks for any advice/experiences you've had on the beach!

Nitrogen is a scam and makes little, if any difference in light vehicle tires. The normal nitrogen content of air is already 78%. Just let it out and reinflate as you normally would.

XDBrad

Reaction score

Try all the options, 4L, 4H, with and without locker, also try 2H with the locker... what a great opportunity to Really see what it can do. Good thing about sand is that even if you half bury the rear wheels, 4H/L will get you out of it.

KRField

Reaction score
Unfortunately depending how loose the sand is there is no option but to air down. Some times when you think it’s enough you need to let more out.

As stated above Nitrogen is snake oil. My tires fluctuate the same wether “air” or nitrogen related to temp. As far as rolling resistance that is touted is ridiculous. The resistance is from contact which is all dependent on the rubber compound.

Don’t sweat it just refill at the nearest spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rjhagner

Reaction score
Unfortunately depending how loose the sand is there is no option but to air down. Some times when you think it’s enough you need to let more out.

As stated above Nitrogen is snake oil. My tires fluctuate the same wether “air” or nitrogen related to temp. As far as rolling resistance that is touted is ridiculous. The resistance is from contact which is all dependent on the rubber compound.

Don’t sweat it just refill at the nearest spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks to all for the feedback.
I'll post my experience next week.

kdonzi123

Reaction score
I believe you need to let the air out regardless or you will get stuck in the soft stuff. You need the tires to float over the sand and when there at 15 lb they work great . I had my 2016
on the sand in outer banks a few years ago and everything i read on line was you need to let the air out. Everyone who was stuck was the guys not taking the time to do so. Once your stuck
your stuck. But be aware you will have sand in all the places you would not expect. Good luck and have fun

RamFlyer

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a kit to use the air suspension system to be able to refill tires after airing them down?

kliffy77

Reaction score
Just livel down the air by 10-15 bars and you’ll be ok don’t over throttle and maintain momentum enjoy!

rudyyoko

Reaction score
I drove my wife's 2014 bighorn crew cab in 4 hi, on Top Sail beach on very loose sand. It had the stock goodyear 20 inch tires. Drove it carefully without changing any tire pressure. Got in and out with no problems. She has the transfer case with the 4 auto. I have not driven my 2019 Ram laramie crewcab hemi, 4x4 on sand yet.

whododat

Reaction score
I drove my 16 with 20 inch KO2's aired down to 18 on Corolla Beach. Had a blast, never had an issue. That was with an open differential and in 4WD Lo.
Enjoy!! It is a lot of fun just hanging out on the tailgate with other people there. Bring snacks, food and your choice of beverage. If you go on Corolla, there is an air pump just a short drive away at a gas station. Be advised, it is not the highest powered air pump so it will take some time. At least the people in NC are patient, unlike people in NJ!!!

canative

Reaction score
With my old '06 Ram when we went down to Pismo I would air down to about 12lbs and 4H, no problems. I would always tow out people who would get stuck. With my new Big Horn I'm going to try the same thing.

Fornstar

Reaction score
With my old '06 Ram when we went down to Pismo I would air down to about 12lbs and 4H, no problems. I would always tow out people who would get stuck. With my new Big Horn I'm going to try the same thing.

Went to Pismo a few times when I lived in So Cal. Sooooo may people get stuck out there trying to get their rigs in.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
I drove my wife's 2014 bighorn crew cab in 4 hi, on Top Sail beach on very loose sand. It had the stock goodyear 20 inch tires. Drove it carefully without changing any tire pressure. Got in and out with no problems. She has the transfer case with the 4 auto. I have not driven my 2019 Ram laramie crewcab hemi, 4x4 on sand yet.

Ive lived in Wilmington for 10 years and didnt know you could drive on topsail.

I've never aired down. I ran Cooper at3s for the last 4 years. Drove on stock Michelin ltxs several times before that. Just keep momentum up and make stops/starts as slow and smooth as possible.

edit: 4low though, always 4low.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread