5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD Noises (2022 Rebel)

rybozome

Reaction score
Snow is falling where I live and I've recently been using 4WD for the first time in any substantial way. I noticed that when I've got it in 4WD and when I'm pushing on the accelerator, there is a whirring/rotational/rubbing sound coming from what appears to be the front of the truck. It's not a grinding noise and is fairly quiet, but definitely noticeable.

This is my first time owning a 4WD vehicle (always had AWD) so its hard for me to differentiate between what is normal and what is not. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I've got an appt with a dealer but not for several weeks and have a couple of trips into the mountains coming up that I'll likely need to rely on 4WD and want to be sure I'm not making things worse by using. For what it's worth, the actual 4WD works wonderfully, the sound just has me wincing a bit every time I turn it on.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would say, since you admit you never owned a 4wd vehicle before, it is the normal noises of having power to your front wheels via a locked transfer case.

But, I am also not there to hear it

I would say, functioning as normal.

I never hear all these noises people talk about. Guess I just do not concern myself with them.

My 2 cents

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
4WD vs AWD means that all 4 tires are spinning 50% all the time.

If you are on snow\ice\extreemely wet ground going in a completley stright line you should hear nothing.

If the ground is dry, and or you are turning at all it is common to hear noise, likely your tires rubbing on the ground.

There are sounds you can hear when you are in 4WD or AWD on any of these trucks, but it should be so quiet you CAN'T hear it unless you are trying super hard to listen.

Users who are viewing this thread